Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would solve my rail trail maintenance problem in the winter... The bollards are frozen into the bases in the winter so we cannot drive down the trails to the fallen and hazard trees. Often times the trees needing attention are too far from a road to carry in the chainsaw gear so a Silky is used to "punch a hole" so users can get through. I don't know about you, but I find carrying even an MS261, fuel, bar oil, PPE, wedges and a wedge beater a mile+ in one direction gets to be a bit much when I do it... and I don't have the ropes, snatch blocks, rakes, peavey, back up saw, etc. that are typically in the vehicle to deal with the situation to make things safer.

Thanks for everyone's replies concerning the saw. I guess I owe you all the opportunity to laugh at me making an idiot of myself. It was a SCAM. Got to the listed address and no one responded to door bell. Neighbor said no one lives there with the first name given. So I came home.
Luckily I didn't loose any $ with the exception of gas for the long drive to and from StL. The high point, it reminded me why I don't like StL. Traffic and people are nuts. Glad I don't work there anymore.

Nice warm day here today so I've got outdoor work to do.

Thanks for everyone's replies concerning the saw. I guess I owe you all the opportunity to laugh at me making an idiot of myself. It was a SCAM. Got to the listed address and no one responded to door bell. Neighbor said no one lives there with the first name given. So I came home.
Luckily I didn't loose any $ with the exception of gas for the long drive to and from StL. The high point, it reminded me why I don't like StL. Traffic and people are nuts. Glad I don't work there anymore.

Nice warm day here today so I've got outdoor work to do.
Hope you have better luck on the next one.

May very well be stolen, (just ask FS), don't send any money until you see it.

I once was going to buy two "slightly used" 460s for a very low price, but when the guy would not meet me at his house I got suspicious, he wanted to meet me at an interstate exit.

If I did meet with him, I was going to be carrying more than just cash.

Be careful, a good deal is not worth your safety.

I once was going to buy two "slightly used" 460s for a very low price, but when the guy would not meet me at his house I got suspicious, he wanted to meet me at an interstate exit.

I often meet people for sales other then my house, gas station, Walmart etc. Don't want some random stranger knowing where I live.

Dang I've been gone for awhile. 80 pages behind!

Im gonna start a thread on this new project I'm picking up, but anyone on this thread real familiar with old cat equipment? Im pick up this pair of Cat No.12 Diesels pretty soon and need to learn about them. Im pretty sure the one has a newer engine in it. One is a 1945 and I think it has the original engine since the engine tag number matches the machine. The other one I is a 1943 with a tag on it saying that it was rebuilt in 1954 and I believe it has a newer engine in it.

View attachment 1067876

View attachment 1067877
ambitious! be sure to let us know your rebuild grader thread. i get behind, too... lol. a PM would be welcome as want to follow it. sounds interesting! i've done some engine swaps, even some shoehorn customs, but never pulled or put in anything quite like your project!

Make sure you ask permission to carry if it turns out to be private property... Good old NY... 🙄

Make sure you ask permission to carry if it turns out to be private property... Good old NY... 🙄
I think we all know that is not constitutional, the law is just slow to catch up!

Besides, isn't that why they require "concealed"???

What they don't know won't hurt them!

I often meet people for sales other then my house, gas station, Walmart etc. Don't want some random stranger knowing where I live.
Yep, this is common practice for Craigslist transactions. When I sold a boat donated to our fire district, I had another FF with me when the buyer came to the fire station. It pays to be careful.

I bought a used Husky 371 advertised on CL. The owner arranged to meet me at a 7-11 parking lot. He took the saw out of the trunk of his Cadillac, I fired it up, and I paid him a reasonable price in cash. Couple days later I was cleaning the gunk off the saw and found a faint "property of ...." on the starter housing. Ah, Fuque! I went through internet contortions to track down the guy's name on the saw--found him in someplace Missouri and called on the phone. An old guy answered. He seemed confused, then said, "Is it an old Husqvarna?" I said, Yeah. He laughed--I sold that years ago. But he appreciated the call. Made me feel better.

(Man, I've missed dozens of pages. Trying to review, but . . . )

He wasn't referring to that particular saw being a real saw, his “real men” comment was referring to men that ride horses into the forest to do saw work. You twisted it into a comment about that particular saw, and deflected his comment. 👀
Maybe I just misread the original post.
You should know by now I'm not into twisting peoples words, if I do I will highlight what I change and say "fixed" with this guy looking up at the previous post :rolleyes:.
That being said, at least I got that mistake out of the way for the month :laugh:.

Maybe I just misread the original post.
You should know by now I'm not into twisting peoples words, if I do I will highlight what I change and say "fixed" with this guy looking up at the previous post :rolleyes:.
That being said, at least I got that mistake out of the way for the month :laugh:.
Thankfully I have never made a mistake. Once I thot I did, but I was wrong.

Latest posts

Back