Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the talk about 4 port saws, I've often wondered how making two sets of parallel bridge ports would work on a 2-port saw???

I was discouraged from doing it by a builder, but I may have to try it sometime anyway. Sometimes, you just don't know unless you try it!
I think the bridge ports are about charge direction as much as anything, but it's worth a try. I was experimenting with finger ports on an aftermarket 460 cylinder, but ran into some issues with the piston I intended on using...so that's on hold.

An idea I want to try out is on a 461 or 500i, is cutting a lower transfer port window in the bore, to provide extra flow to the secondary transfers. This would require a windowed piston in the 500i, but I've already got that covered with the 660 hybrid piston. In stock form, the secondaries provide very little flow in comparison to the primary. Right now, my go-to is to open the secondaries for a few degrees before the primaries take over.

IMO, the vortec/ls GM motors are the best gas v8s of that time period. I thought the 5.3s we used to have in the work trucks were good motors, decent power for their displacement. The 6.0 has a very good reputation as well, I'm 1/2 tempted to buy a used 6.0 to swap into my 72 k20.

I had a 2500 Dodge with the 5.7...it wasn't bad, it had close to 200k miles on it when I sold it. However, the interior and paint on that truck were completely shot. Also the motor liked to rev, got terrible gas mileage, and shifted a lot while towing...but those are probably complaints for any late-model gas truck. Despite the bad wrap Dodges get, the only issues I ever had with that pickup were ball joints, AC compressor, and the power steering pump. I did eventually have to replace the dash, it quite literally fell apart. I religiously used a windshield sun shade after the new dash.

IMO, the 4.6/5.4 Ford motors are gutless, spark plug shooting turds. My old man had a F150 for awhile with the 5.4, he also had head gasket issues with it. It did get better mileage than my Dodge gasser, but was gutless in comparison...it was a big disappointment compared to his f250 w/ the 460. He eventually sold the f150 and still has the f250.
They are all junk. Just pick your junk and deal with it. Mid to late 90's chevy had the powerful small blocks, but the trucks fell apart around them. We had an old 94 wt 1500 at the machine shop, that pore 350 was over worked daily. Think it was rebuild 3 or 4 times. Trans just as much. Truthfully it was a testament, ever Tom, ****, and Harry beet the crud out of it. Always over loaded wherever it went. Drove good. Had over 400k last i knew. Body was shot and patched together many times. Liked the bosses 05 2500 duraturd much better. Other then nickel dime stuff it was pretty solid. Brother had a 98 1500, with whatever small v8 chevy offered. Interior was falling apart by 200k, still had good power, body was rusted bad and the frame was questionable. One of my dad's retired friends bought it and spent the better part of a year patching it back together. Still on the road as his bad weather and hunting truck. Bunchnof kids I went to shol had various dodges with 318 and 360s in them, one buddy had a 1500 chevy with a 305 and I had my 93 f150 w 302. Can't say any of them were bad trucks. Beet the crud out of them daily for years. Took mine to 265k before I started 4 wheeling it.
The newer stuff gm has the power with the 5.3 and 6.0, but I've had many a 5.4l that went 300k without any issues. Dad has an 08 f250 with a 5.4l been a good truck for him. It's a turd, but the same amount of turd loaded or unloaded. My expedition went 263k before I blew a head gasket in it. To its credit I bought it with a massive coolant leak and the previous owner just kept dumping water and stop leak in it, if they just would have replaced the cracked fitting that went into the heater core I doubt it would have been an issue. Current engine in it has right around 200k on it. Original trans in it yet. I'd go out on a limb and say the engine will outlast the body if I don't get on it here soon. Hate to get rid of it, came with the factory heavy tow package, 9.75 rear, bigger radiator, oil cooler, power steering cooler, and 4r100 trans. I can tow just about as much as my dad's f250. Oh that engine currently in it wad in a single cab f350. My cousin always really liked it for what it was, don't think he ever did anything to it other then change oil and gave it a tune up one or twice. Think it was just the 3 valve version that spit plugs out, and a lot of that was people over torqueing them. The newer versions had good power. Guy (kid) at work has one of the last expeditions before they went eco boost, has way more balls then my old 5.4l.
Really at least the ford's and chevys if kept up after that I've been around have been decently reliable. Not a fan of the ifs under the chevy, but ford half ton went that way too and has similar issues with upkeep. Plowing with either basically guaranteed a new front end come spring. Biggest reason we ran from them at the township. Too high maintenance even in the 2500 and 2500 platforms. Could get 2 or 3 years out of a dodge or Ford with the solid axle plowing roads with them. None of the newer stuff really impresses me. I got 30+ year old trucks in better shape then a lot of 5 to 10 year old trucks. Just arnt made to last. I'll keep my old junk. Newest truck I'd be willing to jump into would be early to mid 2000's ford or dodge diesel, the Dodge cummins would be prefured, but I would say no to a nice 6.0L Ford with a blow up engine. Best way to fix a 6.0l is with a 5.9l....

I got a 96 chevy 1500 i haul wood with it has over 300k on the original 4.3 vortec and the 5 spd trans other than intake gaskets and a distributor it has been rock solid reliable. The body is still nice other than the cab corners.
The biggest thing with any brand is maintenance and taken care of while not beating that crap out of it.

I left a message and an email. Waiting on a reply. Didn't sound legit at first. Seems too low for an asking price. "Looks" clean.
Well I mentioned it would be better for me to look at it Tuesday. He said he would hold it for me but he would need a deposit. Flags going off?

Modified the muffler today on my newly purchased 394XP. There is no longer a restriction inside of that muffler. I opened the intake side to match the steel plate which matches the exhaust port. Now I just need to reset the carb tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230319_175529.jpg
    20230319_175529.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230319_175202.jpg
    20230319_175202.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 1
Sounds like you are "almost" reeled in...

SR
Yea, I was hoping the CAD bug wouldn't bite me again. I've got a 046 Magnum that needs a new piston and/or P&C. I bought a few years ago. I wanted a 70cc saw. The 046 may not be a Mag. Does $400 sound realistic for the saw or is it too good to be true (stolen)?

I'm curious as to why it's so cheap...if it's a legit ad and needs a piston or something like that, I'd still be all over it. Not to influence your CAD anymore, but the 462 is a nice saw. They run quite well for a 70cc saw and are very light.
It wouldn’t surprise me if some people are starting to feel the little pinch of debt service and need to offload excess material possessions. On a gun forum I frequent I have seen a huge increase of guns for sale in the classifieds.

Latest posts

Back