Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my 2 stroke modding capabilities were in their infancy, I built one of my 044s with something less than .015" squish(I don't remember the exact number.) Anyway, I got it nice and hot, and heard what sounded like a light tapping noise...I tore it down and there was evidence that the piston was just barely touching the squish band at TDC when hot.

Luckily no damage and I've since been fairly conservative on squish numbers. My own saws are usually pretty tight, often below .020", but I occasionally do tear-downs on most of my saws, so I'm not too worried about carbon build up. Other peoples' saws, I'm usually in the .020-.025" range, because most people aren't pulling a motor apart until something breaks.

Speaking of which, most guys' maintenance habits are pretty atrocious. I've seen pistons that didn't have the cir-clips installed(on a dual-transfer Stihl none the less,) foam air filters without oil, and even a couple of saws with holes punched through the piston from metal piston stops.
Yea that’s a hot mess Lol 😆

Dang, over 20 pages since I got home

Took my whole crew out to dinner tonight to celebrate the end of the first fiscal quarter. Had a good time, even though I had to give him a bit of a speech about how my service policy account is up $1200 year over year. Told him there’s plenty of time in the year for us to right that. Hoping that we have a good quarter every time so we can go out and enjoy ourselves.

I kind of wish my old boss is used to do this for me, but he didn’t. That’s why I do it for the guys under me only cost me $2400 to take 30 guys out, and gals, open bar… buffet dinner. Gotta let them know how much I appreciate them all.

54 gals and guys work for me, sadly only 30 showed up tonight

Their loss

Took my whole crew out to dinner tonight to celebrate the end of the first fiscal quarter. Had a good time, even though I had to give him a bit of a speech about how my service policy account is up $1200 year over year. Told him there’s plenty of time in the year for us to right that. Hoping that we have a good quarter every time so we can go out and enjoy ourselves.

I kind of wish my old boss is used to do this for me, but he didn’t. That’s why I do it for the guys under me only cost me $2400 to take 30 guys out, and gals, open bar… buffet dinner. Gotta let them know how much I appreciate them all.

Their loss
It's things like that, that keep moral up and let the employees know you appreciate them.
Work does these "town hall meetings" it's very odd and awkward. More for the office people then the maintenance department. But we get a catered lunch, and I'm all about free food. So I don't miss them. Had cheese steaks, taco bowls, fish and chips, and some sort of vegan type food as options at the last one. (All local food trucks) they give out tickets when you walk into the theater. To pick one. Cheese steaks were awesome. The meetin may be weird, but I surly appreciate the 2 hours of not working, getting fed and getting a paid lunch.

Their loss

Good on you, things like that go a long way to building loyalty and boosting morale. I've got high expectations for the people that I supervise, but most get along with me well, as I treat them with respect and I hold myself to the same high standards. If they work hard and meet my expectations, they know that I'll bend over backwards to help them out with career advancement or even just problems they may be having. One of the things that I'm constantly doing, is to teach my subordinates how to do my job...unfortunately, some of my peers like to just horde knowledge rather than sharing it. Luckily they're the exception, not the rule.

Today is my birthday - 88. The date is odd, 32323, and reads the same backward. Still running saws but only 2-3 hours day.
Your STIHL riding dirt bikes offro
WE are in a right to farm town. Being in the middle of nowhere you would think thats a no brainer but then someone moves in and want's to bit*h about Chickens smell etc.
I remember years ago in southern Maine some couple bought land next to a junkyard and sued them because it stunk and was messy. They lost and the junkyard planted junk cars .upright as a new fence
Probably the same type of people that would sue because the coffee is to hot!

looks like the kid has been eating good! maybe lots of birthday cake.... 🤩
we hope to be eating good down here, way down low in the lower 48! smokedr chickens headed to the pellet pit this afternoon. all i had to do was buy them...
P1010058.JPGP1010059.JPG
about 7#s each

Have you been reading the post? People are talking about a lot more than one or two being a problem. One pict. above, has more than 10 deer in it.

A few days ago I had 11 of them come through here, a few weeks ago I counted 10 bucks that came through here all at once.

SR
we got em all over up along the county line.....
P1010034.JPGP1010024.JPGP1010030.JPG

Noodled some of my last birch scrounge today, almost finished with 2024 wood. I’m a little light on wood for this winter coming though, need to find something that will dry in a years time to add to the pile. View attachment 1068962
i bit some like that at Wal-Mart...Gerbil bedding. $3 big bag. mixed it up with Titebond III and patched the bottom end of a door that had seen many years of wet... and was hollow in bottom rail. turned out swell! now like new wood
P1010048.JPGP1010049.JPGP1010050.JPG

They come near my house, I can see them clearly from my dining room window, four still had horns and looking through binocs I could clearly see the heads of the others had already dropped them.

It's 10:09am here and there's seven deer out there right now...

SR
mine, too. one morning had a beautiful 4-point make some noise. tap tap tap... i looked about. he did it again, i could see him, looking at me. he cam out of shed. was tapping on some tin. maybe 30' away... then boing boing boing.... and he was over the fences and our down thru the pasture there to the treeline. highlight of the day! :)

Latest posts

Back