Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When there are that many deer they become pests. The only solution is to reduce the herd. That means removing the does. I recall a deer reduction hunt that was held on protected watershed land back in the late 1990's. When you walked thru the woods you couldn't see a single bush, small trees or any branchs below 7 - 8 feet. The deer had wiped all all the small growth. I hunted one small area the 2nd half of the week. On Saturday I took out the 105th deer out of that small area that was under a square mile. All the other areas were getting the same results. All the deer were tagged at gates on the way out so that they could have accurate numbers. Since that time they have had limited hunts there every year. That entire area of land is now lush with new trees and undergrowth.

So, are you saying we should all start growing Bamboo? 🤪
Don’t . There was a house down from mine that the Mrs of the home wanted a little bamboo garden . In 5 years you couldn’t see the house . If you cut it down three more shoots grow . They ended up having to get a mini excavator and rip out the roots . Still had some popping up here and there but they used a herbicide to kill it . Very invasive

they were 19-cents in the '63/64 erra... bun-bread, splash, thin meat sizzle lettuce and one pickle slice. if my mem serves me right!
When McD's first opened in Burlington, Awa,* A hamburger was 15¢ I think a shake was a quarter. The shakes were made with real milk and cream. They were good. I think that was 1962. That was the first any of us had heard of McD. It was one of the first in the region. Lamb's Diner, near the River** also had 15¢ hamburgers. Later both had 5/$1.

* When Iowa State Univ went to its second bowl game in 1974, in Georgia, People would ask the fans "Where y'all from. They would reply "Iowa." The locals would then invariably say. "Awa! Y'all grow lots of taters up there!" So, Awa State has been a "thing" ever since amount fans of ISU and in the ISU Marching Band (ISUCFVMB) and the Iowa State Alumni Marching Band (ISUCFAMB) (And Yes, the alumni band marches and puts on a halftime show, sometimes more complicated than what was done while in the Varsity Band)

**In North America, the River, means the Mighty Mississippi, as opposed to the river, which can refer to any river.

When there are that many deer they become pests. The only solution is to reduce the herd. That means removing the does. I recall a deer reduction hunt that was held on protected watershed land back in the late 1990's. When you walked thru the woods you couldn't see a single bush, small trees or any branchs below 7 - 8 feet. The deer had wiped all all the small growth. I hunted one small area the 2nd half of the week. On Saturday I took out the 105th deer out of that small area that was under a square mile. All the other areas were getting the same results. All the deer were tagged at gates on the way out so that they could have accurate numbers. Since that time they have had limited hunts there every year. That entire area of land is now lush with new trees and undergrowth.
We used to hunt on a friends farm he had a nuisance permit so basically whenever the herd got to big we would harvest because they were destroying his crops . Ended up giving a lot of the venison away . After 4 deer I couldn’t take anymore . He sold the property to the town they built 4 baseball fields and made a walking path .

Field rats = bambi
Lesser tree rats = squirrel
Greater tree rats = raccoon

All are tasty when done correctly. My favorite is bambi bologna or bambi summer sausage.
I made some smoked/dried bambi pastrami with leg meat. That is man candy!

Used to fish for Stripers down on the Merrimac river in Massamachoosetts, years back the local rich folk in the multimillion dollar homes said, "Don't shoot the deer, it is cruel."
Then came Lyme disease.
Now them rich libtards scream, "Shoot the deer!"
Tyrone Biggums could not have said it better.

They truly are just like that. For population control they wanted to capture and sterilize the deer. The cost was extremely prohibitive. But hey, WTF do they really know.

We used to hunt on a friends farm he had a nuisance permit so basically whenever the herd got to big we would harvest because they were destroying his crops . Ended up giving a lot of the venison away . After 4 deer I couldn’t take anymore . He sold the property to the town they built 4 baseball fields and made a walking path .
Yup and the deer moved elsewhere.

I agree 100%, and neither should made up science based on things that happened that we cannot 100% verify, that isn't science at all.
But people keep trusting the "experts", this is where Greta(a kid) should be chiming in, wait, didn't she just delete a tweet :laughing: .
I thought it was funny that the climate activists finally figured out that the people telling them they had to watch their carbon footprint were actually hypocrites, and started "trying" to protest at the WEF meetings in Davos 🤣. Wait till they figure out they've been played and are just pawns ;).
Sorry my second post took so long, it was supposed to be right after the one you responded to, but I couldn't get the dang picture to load :badpc:.

Maybe now we can discuss masks, and their ability to stop viruses.
You guys know what comes after that :happy: .
I'll be back later :popcorn2:.
You nailed it to a T on that one and Greta the dribbler. After her first appearance she was at a Q&A on global warming. She was asked a simple question on it. She was totally confused and asked someone else to answer it. Total idiot in my book paid to scream and holler and hasn't a clue as to what she is even doing. Stupid is as stupid does comes to mind.

Yup and the deer moved elsewhere.
Hopefully back to their natural environment where the food reserves control the population . Not many active farms around me . The deer herd that comes on my property hasn’t gotten any bigger over the past few years . Creatures of habit they look around the base of the apple trees even in winter

Field rats = bambi
Lesser tree rats = squirrel
Greater tree rats = raccoon

All are tasty when done correctly. My favorite is bambi bologna or bambi summer sausage.
I made some smoked/dried bambi pastrami with leg meat. That is man candy!
Squirrel stew is awesome. It is the other White meat. LOL

The Gettysburg battlefield became overrun with deer a few years back. They had more people coming to see the deer in the evenings than to visit the battlefield. No hunting allowed being a national park. Brought in military sharpshooters to reduce the herd. IIRC they gave the meat to the food banks. My problem with deer is the lease hunters next door that will only shoot big bucks and no does.

Don’t . There was a house down from mine that the Mrs of the home wanted a little bamboo garden . In 5 years you couldn’t see the house . If you cut it down three more shoots grow . They ended up having to get a mini excavator and rip out the roots . Still had some popping up here and there but they used a herbicide to kill it . Very invasive
I used to think that bamboo only grew in Asian / Pacific areas. Was surprised to see how many climates it will grow in.

Philbert

If you have too many deer take some of our wolves.
I'd actually take that trade. There's an abundance of deer up here...a bunch of people feed them and their only predators are mountain lions and sometimes bears and coyotes. Driving on some of the local roads is like playing pinball with your truck, as there are so many of them darting across the road. I've usually got a herd of them strolling through my property...if I go across the street, into the timberland/FS land, I won't see a single deer...they know where to hang out. Good luck with ornamental vegetation, I've even seen them hop 8' fences to get into a vegetable garden or orchards.

The same people that feed them are usually the same people that are complaining about mountains and coyotes hanging around the populated areas. I guess they don't understand that predators are only following the food source...good luck explaining nature to any of these transplants from the cities/down in the valley though.:rolleyes:

Back