Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s one little peak into the commercial market behind car dealers. Just shows the big banks are not willing to front run the risk.

I was working in a Ford dealership at a time when home mortgages were in the 18% range. Ford Motor Credit called regularly to ask what we were doing to move inventory and get the floorplan down to the limit for which we were approved. They were sort of going through the motions though as I never saw them take any real action as we were paying for the inventory to sit rather than Ford Motor... It's been a long time and I don't recall exactly what the grace period was between our receipt of a vehicle and the time we had to pay interest on it... 30 days maybe?? You could barely give away vehicles with 460s due to gas prices and gas shortages... 351s weren't much better. We owned all the used car inventory outright. Cash was generally good.

A few years later I was working in a VW dealership that took on Chevy while I was there. The car business was still not great... Marine Midland had two guys there every day doing an inventory audit and collecting checks for sold cars as they were delivered... Eventually we switched the floorplan over to GMAC. The owners had MM as they had started with Honda at another location and stuck with them when they bought the VW dealership. Used cars were floor planned also. We seemed to have perpetual cash flow problems.

So yeah... those holding the paper have sway....

Hello Gents! I've been super busy these days Fellas!

Today's work. I got two OVERLOADS in today!👍 That's tipped, limbed, bucked, logged, loaded, hauled and dumped x2
20230411_170326.jpg

Goodbye Gents! I'm STIHL super busy these days Fellas!

Until next time...

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!😉

Nice group. H380 is the powder that I use in my favorite load for my .308 with 180 grain Sierra Gamekings.
Good to know. I bought it to try in my 220 Swift, but it likes IMR 4064 and CFE223 better.

Seems to deliver top velocities with the lowest pressures (according to the Hodgdon loading site) in the 338-06, so I'm going to try to get more of it. Really pleased how well it shot, and (according to the data) velocity s/b over 2,700 FPS.

I think Cabela's will ship it to me, will give that a try (but lots of stuff get blocked coming to NY)! Will see what happens.

To my surprise, my order for an 8 lb can of H380 went through! Shipping is free, but there is a $24 hazmat fee. Since the nearest Cabela's/Bass Pro is over 35 miles away, I'll eat it! Plus, none of the stores close by have the large cans in stock.

Guess I can keep shooting the 338-06 for a little while!

Good to know. I bought it to try in my 220 Swift, but it likes IMR 4064 and CFE223 better.

Seems to deliver top velocities with the lowest pressures (according to the Hodgdon loading site) in the 338-06, so I'm going to try to get more of it. Really pleased how well it shot, and (according to the data) velocity s/b over 2,700 FPS.

I think Cabela's will ship it to me, will give that a try (but lots of stuff get blocked coming to NY)! Will see what happens.
I've been really happy with it. It meters well and if I do my part I can print .75-1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards out of my A-Bolt. I don't have them in front of me so I'm not 100% sure but I believe I run 43 grains at about 2400 fps. I could push em harder but no need, most of my shots are less than 100 yards.
To my surprise, my order for an 8 lb can of H380 went through! Shipping is free, but there is a $24 hazmat fee. Since the nearest Cabela's/Bass Pro is over 35 miles away, I'll eat it! Plus, none of the stores close by have the large cans in stock.

Guess I can keep shooting the 338-06 for a little while!
Glad to hear NY will let you have a little more fun. Enjoy shooting your new rifle!

Had my phone interview today, it went fairly well. I'm now not sure if I want the job, like the reservations I had, it about 80% electrician work High voltage single and 3 phase. Definatly not really my thing, not that I couldn't learn it, but he didn't seem very warm to the idea I have limited experience with diagnosis on vfd drives, but was confident I should still come in and test. (Ironically I helped pull one of the vfd motors in a ride this morning... it sucked lol) when we got to the actual meat and potatoes part I kinda bulked a bit, amd I think he bulked a bit too. Starting pay is $33.86hr, after 2 years you go to top rate, which is $41.90 right now. (Currently making $37 and some change now) insurance starts 90 days after training completes (5 weeks of basic training) so we'd be out insurance for that period. The insurance is 100% company paid, and reported to be pretty good. Shift availability is pretty much second shift. He also wouldn't garentee any particular shift, but said it would likely be second. Which I could make work, but one of the two overnight shifts would be preferable.
We kinda had a good laugh about the required tools, think one of my former co-workers told him about my tool boxes. Told me if I passed the test to let my big box at home lol. Company funded pension right now just shy of $1900 per month. 20 years minimum to retire on it, 5 years to be vested in it. (Not bad at all imo)
At the end of the conversation he invited me to think things over for a few days, then call him back and let him know if I would like to do the first test. If I would pass that I would get a practical test (thats easy from what the boys tell me) I would get a job offer.
So it left me more confused then I was to begin with.
Talked it over with the wife when I got home. She crunched some numbers, and figured out I'd be slightly ahead on pay, (no over time) at the current job, even with deductions for insurance and whatnot. I got another 2 ish years of crap schedule at currently. Then I can pretty much get on dayshift. Weekend work is mandatory at both places, no getting around that. So I'd literally be going for the pension.... and I'm not really into high voltage stuff.
So, again, don't know what i want to do. Seems there's a bunch of guys that will be retiring at my work over the next few years as well, which will give me even more seniority... quicker to day shift.
Decisions, decisions.....hummfff
Staring a new job can be exciting and or nerve racking, follow what’s in ur best interests, and for your future and family and I think you’ll be just fine 👍

Well fellers, I've thought long and hard. Considered the pros and cons. Sure, there's a potential health risk and as a health care professional that's no small factor for me. But I've decided to take up smoking.

Mostly, it's @SS396driver 's fault :surprised3: .
Weed, tobacco or crack?
:innocent:

Well fellers, I've thought long and hard. Considered the pros and cons. Sure, there's a potential health risk and as a health care professional that's no small factor for me. But I've decided to take up smoking.

Mostly, it's @SS396driver 's fault :surprised3: .
I don't smoke anything, but I do like to grill over wood that imparts a flavor ... like grilling venison steaks or burgers over Black Cherry!

Black Cherry is abundant up at my property. Wish I also had Hickory up there, but there is none. Will also have to try Black Birch, there is a good amount of that up there also.

Had my phone interview today, it went fairly well. I'm now not sure if I want the job, like the reservations I had, it about 80% electrician work High voltage single and 3 phase. Definatly not really my thing, not that I couldn't learn it, but he didn't seem very warm to the idea I have limited experience with diagnosis on vfd drives, but was confident I should still come in and test. (Ironically I helped pull one of the vfd motors in a ride this morning... it sucked lol) when we got to the actual meat and potatoes part I kinda bulked a bit, amd I think he bulked a bit too. Starting pay is $33.86hr, after 2 years you go to top rate, which is $41.90 right now. (Currently making $37 and some change now) insurance starts 90 days after training completes (5 weeks of basic training) so we'd be out insurance for that period. The insurance is 100% company paid, and reported to be pretty good. Shift availability is pretty much second shift. He also wouldn't garentee any particular shift, but said it would likely be second. Which I could make work, but one of the two overnight shifts would be preferable.
We kinda had a good laugh about the required tools, think one of my former co-workers told him about my tool boxes. Told me if I passed the test to let my big box at home lol. Company funded pension right now just shy of $1900 per month. 20 years minimum to retire on it, 5 years to be vested in it. (Not bad at all imo)
At the end of the conversation he invited me to think things over for a few days, then call him back and let him know if I would like to do the first test. If I would pass that I would get a practical test (thats easy from what the boys tell me) I would get a job offer.
So it left me more confused then I was to begin with.
Talked it over with the wife when I got home. She crunched some numbers, and figured out I'd be slightly ahead on pay, (no over time) at the current job, even with deductions for insurance and whatnot. I got another 2 ish years of crap schedule at currently. Then I can pretty much get on dayshift. Weekend work is mandatory at both places, no getting around that. So I'd literally be going for the pension.... and I'm not really into high voltage stuff.
So, again, don't know what i want to do. Seems there's a bunch of guys that will be retiring at my work over the next few years as well, which will give me even more seniority... quicker to day shift.
Decisions, decisions.....hummfff
Does your current employer offer any pension? $1900 a month is akin to drawing interest off of about 475K in cash so that is definitely a good deal...The other question would be what are the survivor benefits of that pension plan? IE what would your wife receive for her life if you died after retirement and she outlives you? Otherwise sounds like your current job may be the better fit especially if you will get seniority as people retire, leave, and/or pass away while still working.

Here's some funny stuff for you all.

Interesting re-dub on that one.

Folks may not agree but I would probably have put one barrel into the ground in front of her while she was still a ways back. I have heard that aggressive animals really do not like the combination of loud noises and the earth shaking at their feet.

Did you guys see how it zig zagged....

Interesting re-dub on that one.

Folks may not agree but I would probably have put one barrel into the ground in front of her while she was still a ways back. I have heard that aggressive animals really do not like the combination of loud noises and the earth shaking at their feet.

Did you guys see how it zig zagged....
Yup zig zag for sure!

Weed, tobacco or crack?
:innocent:

Why does it have to be 'or'? :laugh:

Anyway, my SIL works at a major BBQ/heating/furniture joint in Melbourne and they don't seem to mind too much if the staff discount gets extended to family. We've been enduring nearly 2 years of one of the world's slowest renovations but are now getting close with the exterior done but still some things to do inside. We have a big deck up on the top level that we need to pimp out some more. We're getting one of these.

Smoker.jpg

I'm not sure if a pellet smoker is considered cheating or not by purists but it will allow set-and-forget smoking and lots of high-tech features. Looking forward to getting some goanna roasts in there!

Latest posts

Back