Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

I was out on the scrounge again this morning. Had some left from yesterday and cut some more today. Access is a bit tricky as you have to walk the wood 30m down a slope then chuck it over a barbed wire fence so it was good to have the child slaves today to help with that. Since I've been running every day since the start of the year, I've found I can scrounge on for ages. Cowlad on the other hand, having barely moved off the couch for 6 months was cooked after about 20 mins.

22nd Apr 1.jpg

Here was the freshly cut and lugged wood to go in.

22nd Apr 2.jpg

First load

22nd Apr 3.jpg

I discharged the child slaves after the first load and I unloaded the ute into the shed. Then I recruited Cowgirl to get a second load. There was stihl some left over and I cut a bit more, which was of variable quality.

22nd Apr 4.jpg

Managed to dull both the 241 and Limby on logs that had a significant amount of dirt in the butts so called it quits at that point. Had enough for the second load anyway.

22nd Apr 5.jpg

Kept the uglies since they can be burned this winter and I don't have to stack them.

Scrounge on :rock:

Forgot to say, yesterday when I was out at the farm, Mitch stopped by while I was scrounging and told me that he had a gummint trapper there to take out some wild dogs that have killed four of his goats over the last month or so. Anyway, the trapper (Toby) passed by and we had a bit of a chat, he was a good bloke.

Anyway, we had been talking for maybe 7 or 8 minutes then this big doe jumps up from behind a tree barely 10 yards away and takes off. Never mind that I had had the chainsaw going and swinging the fiskars etc for an hour or so before. At shoulder height, the doe was chest height on me and I'm 6ft. I figure that after all the interesting chainsawing and scrounge splitting, it found our conversation boring and decided to leave.

I’ve been told You can use the 327 crank in a 4 bolt main 350 . You would now have a 4 bolt 327 . But I would just use the 350
i would have no idea! only reason i know the other is i had both. and i read How To Hot Rod Chevys... and i had the 2" + thick Chiltons red book that covered also... all the specs and dims on those engines from that era. and so after reading the HTHRCs... i scoped out the 70 LT1 350 specs in the Chiltons... and ....

low and behold!!! a :numberone:

the LT-1 was bolt-on parts for the 307 block.... :blob2:

1682142914757.png

What farm truck wouldn’t have a hitch ? I purchased from the original family truck was still on the farm in South Carolina . Truck was in relatively good condition but once I started on the bedwood (practically gone ) it snowballed on me
sorry, i guess the full ground up restoration and the rusty trailer hitch fooled me!!!
:dumb2:
:laugh:

;)

I’m doing away with the chains on the tailgate . No matter what you do they sway and damage the paint . I’m just going to use some nice SS pins and a set of rods to hold the gate when it’s down
on the '28, had the look! both sides...

and no wear marks in the primer

A 2-bolt with splayed caps is better. For a 327 build you can get away with a lot as you're not going very high in hp, and even if you did, it's not typically something that would be hitting higher hp #'s very often unless you're running turbo/turbos or a supercharger.
And it won't ride like a John Deere, a kubota would have been acceptable though LOL.
Truck looks great.
i think he will like the new radials... 👍

Remember this tire,

Resized-20230409-175850-S.jpg

Well, I took it to my tire guy and as soon as he started beating on the rim to break it down, (split rim) all kinds of rust let go,

Resized-20230421-134818-S.jpg

SO, as a new aftermarket rim was $200 I looked for and found a modern "used" rim for $75, and as a friend gave me a couple decent used tires, back to my tire guy I go to have one of the tires put on the new "to me" rim,

Resized-20230421-134921-S.jpg

and now "all is better". lol

SR
hi SR - i think u beat ol Father Time at his own game! 👍

down here some SA's like to add-on Big Rig horns to their half-tons! :lol:
I bought a rear axle from a guy, many yrs ago, who had installed a true train horn…off a train, lol. Dual compressor setup and the horns where the spare tire used to be. Loud didn’t describe it. Earth-shaking got close.
even after he warned me I jumped a couple feet🤣🤣

G'day fellers,

I was out on the scrounge again this morning. Had some left from yesterday and cut some more today. Access is a bit tricky as you have to walk the wood 30m down a slope then chuck it over a barbed wire fence so it was good to have the child slaves today to help with that. Since I've been running every day since the start of the year, I've found I can scrounge on for ages. Cowlad on the other hand, having barely moved off the couch for 6 months was cooked after about 20 mins.

View attachment 1077038

View attachment 1077040

First load

View attachment 1077041

I discharged the child slaves after the first load and I unloaded the ute into the shed. Then I recruited Cowgirl to get a second load. There was stihl some left over and I cut a bit more, which was of variable quality.

View attachment 1077042

Managed to dull both the 241 and Limby on logs that had a significant amount of dirt in the butts so called it quits at that point. Had enough for the second load anyway.

View attachment 1077043

Kept the uglies since they can be burned this winter and I don't have to stack them.

So, do you have to have your load covered at bed height for weight or legal reasons? Just wondering why you don’t load higher than the bed rails…and then cover with a tarp.

Much better my stamina is back after the pneumonia. Still cough once and while . Stitches came out today .
I really have no need to build a 4 bolt 327 . I’m ordering a blueprint 350 . New block and heads all new parts . It’s a 4 bolt block with roller cam .
i had decided not to run the pink rod crate LT1 in my '23 T. so instead i started modding it for use in my Deuce Roadster. it had a small vett engine in it, but i wanted this vette engine to be in it!! well, gathering parts. Erson was going to grind me a LT1 cam profile, still have the factory cam's characteristics, but up the lift, and duration 050 #s. same CL. make the Edelbrock alum 2.02 heads breathe (flow) a bit (whole lot!) better. a 10" converter to help with idle characteristics... smooth things out a bit!

i think the cam was to be .555/60 maybe it was .575! and the 050 upped past stock 242 to about 248/255 or so! solid, of course! the 11:1s would need an eyebrow face lift...

then out of the blue (hi!! 🤩you don't remember me, but....) the original builder contacted me. wanted his show award winning 32 back. i had put in new ss fuel tank and custom modded up the front end to solve the problems he built in to it using Econline spindles... etc etc and some other cool changes, too. fixes! then i told him how much it would cost! and he said. :baba: then i said but i won't sell it unless you also take the LT1 project, too! and he said.... :baaa:. then he said too much!!!... he had a wife that had a say in family finances, too! i said. :rolleyes: ! (read that BS!, take it or leave it!) and then i said, no cash, no checks. no money orders. bank to bank confirmed certified checks only! and he said :wtf: and i said take it or leave it! :popcorn2: so after my banker said it would be ok... i told him he could come get it. he said he would fly out in his twin Baron and make the deal! :surprised3: and i said... and also in the price is me flying L seat in your Baron! he said... NO DEAL!!! not even my best friend gets to do that in my plane! i said, no Baron time, then no deal! 😎

he flew out in his Baron. ck'd out the Deuce! was more than impressed!! well why not, i had fixed all his FU's... and then we went out to the airport and i got 2.5 hrs PIC L seat time in his Baron!! ( i had the rating, and was current....in proficiency and type)

"I fly, and handle the radios... you call the Checklist items....!!"
1682146033596.png

and off we went hither n yon.... into the wild blue yonder ~

G'day fellers,

View attachment 1077038

View attachment 1077040

First load

View attachment 1077041

View attachment 1077042

View attachment 1077043

you might catch up to SM!~ ;)
:givebeer:

...... Cowlad on the other hand, having barely moved off the couch for 6 months was cooked after about 20 mins.

View attachment 1077038
You need to put Cowlad on a preseason training schedule a month or two before you need him (lol). Kind of like pro athletes do. That way, you'll be able to take it a little easy and let him do the work.

i think he will like the new radials... 👍
The truck does ride better but I’m going to change out the fronts to a skinnier tire .the 265/75r16 is still way to hard to turn when doing a k turn or moving slow - no power steering . But going down the road it turns and rides nicely

Latest posts

Back