Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to gather some pictures and need to get it running again, (haven't used it in like 5 years now) pretty much made up my mind my 394xp low top (converted to 395 cylinder and intake.) Needs to go. It just sits on the shelf and I never use it. Any thoughts on what a asking price would be?
Well.... If I was selling it, I'd ask $400 for it. So if you want to sell it, I'll give you $400 :laughing: .
View attachment 1085881View attachment 1085882View attachment 1085883
With one saw and just take them all apart, lol. Need to get a case splitter as 2 of the cranks seem ok. Only enough good cases for one saw, however.
I don't think I could make a boat anchor out of that!

Got a little honey do done today. 20230527_140539.jpgScrounged up some King Salmon yesterday evening...
IMG953750.jpg
The Rapala scale said 20 lbs, that's a big King for the end of May in Lake Michigan. There's going to be some 30+ pounders coming out in July/August.

Hope everyone has a blessed Memorial Day. If anyone here has lost someone in the military know that I have the utmost honor and thankfulness for their sacrifice so I can do the things I love in this great country.

Is there an accepted limit to the number of scrounge pics that should be posted? I'm starting to worry that I am OVERLOADING the 'other stuff' thread with scrounging pics. Someone please tell me if I'm out of line.

Here's some scrounge

View attachment 1085170

Here's some more

View attachment 1085171

Here's a bit more

View attachment 1085172

And some more again

View attachment 1085173

It looks kinda ratty in the pics, unlike some of the nice clean ash and oak pics you blokes (used to) post. But it's clean burning and solid BTUs so I'm very happy with what I've been getting. Especially now I'm up to around 22.5 cubes or 6 cord from the one tree šŸ˜² :sweet:
IIRC there was a limit of 3 per post way back when I first started here. That didn't last long. I usually don't wait for pics to load or I'd neveer be able to stay current. Very slow broadband here.
2-3 days for me šŸ¤£

Same here but I burn 50% willow so....

Scrounged up some tree cookies for a friend's wedding today does that count? Thety are making a tower of some sort out of them. Took forever to find the sizes they wanted.
Used a chainsaw mill for the first time to have better uniformity. They came out nice and flat!IMG_20230527_203900199.jpg

Blerk. Wet and dull here today. Snow on the hills. Been shoving scrounged peppermint in the fire enough that we're all in shorts and t-shirts now. Improved insulation and plugging gaps has improved the thermal efficiency of the house a lot and has changed the calculations about keeping the fire going overnight.

Used to be that 2Ā°C was the threshold for loading up the fire before bed but now that has us as sweating starfishes in bed through the night. It does mean that we are generally burning less wood but more kindling as I have to relight the thing almost every day..

Scored a free saw today...it doesn't run, but has compression. Original owner long term-loaned it to someone and it came back a year later, not running. He's of the age that his cutting days are behind him, so he figured I could make best use of it.

When I'm not busy on all the other projects I have going right now, I'll take a look at it. Even if it really is roached, it'll make a cool wall hanger at least.
View attachment 1085698
It is a Stihl being still. LOL

View attachment 1085741
Weekend?...šŸ¤£ Did the first teardown today...toasted crank bearing.
The other two, crushed, saws have good compression, lol
These saws were so abused I'm not sure how they ran at all. I'm hoping to make 2 good saws out of the pile + the needed new/used parts.
Gonna go buy a couple cases of "Awesome" at the dollar store tomorrow...
View attachment 1085743
View attachment 1085742
Let me know if that guy ever talks about traveling East? I donā€™t want him within two states of me!

Howdy guys!

Been too busy making sawdust to read all the invaluable BS on the "other stuff" thread lately..... I missed the last 42 pages..... please advise if I need to go back and read something super important to a well balanced life.

Picked up a pretty nice '97 2500 last week....5.7 with a 5 speed stick....
IMG_20230520_155950.jpgIMG_20230520_160036.jpg

Good morning all you fellow firewood burners. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and my profound thanks and honor goes out to all who have passed serving for our freedoms!
Been working for Mark the firewood guy that uses sthils for wheel chocks, no it wasnā€™t me, lol. Camping out on the job in area with no service which is nice but get behind on things. I was able to get some wood split up and stacked that I cut last year IMG_1182.jpegwood shed #1 almost full. And milled a few boards out of some logs Iā€™ve been saving for that for about 3 yearsIMG_1163.jpegHopefully be able to do some firewood scrounging next weekend now that firewood ā€œseasonā€ is open, and if the snow up there melts some more.

I get my firewood mostly on CL ads for free wood. I have a 1 ton F350 Crew Cab with a liftgate, my saw just siezed up, but working on a fix for it. That's me playing the banjo there! And my princess Blaze King, and Fireplace I made from the old chimney bricks after chimney leaned from house too far and I had to tear it down. (Rats getting in there) Happy wood gathering... From Cascade Mountains, Issaquah and vicinity...

Attachments

• Woodstove.jpg
    Woodstove.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
  • EaglesApril2022.jpg
    EaglesApril2022.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Firewood.jpg
    Firewood.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 1
I get my firewood mostly on CL ads for free wood. I have a 1 ton F350 Crew Cab with a liftgate, my saw just siezed up, but working on a fix for it. That's me playing the banjo there! And my princess Blaze King, and Fireplace I made from the old chimney bricks after chimney leaned from house too far and I had to tear it down. (Rats getting in there) Happy wood gathering... From Cascade Mountains, Issaquah and vicinity...
Welcome to Arboristsite!

Howdy guys!

Been too busy making sawdust to read all the invaluable BS on the "other stuff" thread lately..... I missed the last 42 pages..... please advise if I need to go back and read something super important to a well balanced life.

Picked up a pretty nice '97 2500 last week....5.7 with a 5 speed stick....
View attachment 1086074View attachment 1086077
I think there was something really important, around 15-20 pages back? Just skim them, you'll find it?

Latest posts

Back