Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little sunset splitting the other night. Putting my new-ish Wal-Mart Fiskars through its paces.

There should be about 8 cords of wood sitting there, and I have 2 cords CSS behind the house, so everything I scrounge now is either standing dead to burn this winter and allow the fresh-cut stuff more time to season, or 2016-17 wood!

Attachments

• 2015-09-21 19.17.49.jpg
    2015-09-21 19.17.49.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
A lot fewer hills in my neck of the woods. Need a wheeler to get my FIL into the woods and firewood and deer out of the woods. I wish I could rent one for two months in the fall.

Good luck finding the wheeler. I am looking for a boat now. CL shopping has been good to me this year. Hopefully I get lucky and find another deal.

A lot fewer hills in my neck of the woods. Need a wheeler to get my FIL into the woods and firewood and deer out of the woods. I wish I could rent one for two months in the fall.

I have access to a Polaris SxS (my grandfather who lives next door has a 500 EFI), and I have a 2000 Suzuki King Quad 300. I think both have their good qualities and their drawbacks. I can go more places on the KQ, but obviously the Polaris can haul more, and can more easily accommodate passengers.

I like your plan for getting one of each as funds allow. I agree with Mike that EFI is nice, but I really like the old-school tech of the KQ, and they can be had for a reasonable price. Similar vintage Honda (90's through early 2000's) 4-wheelers are nice as well. For me, the Suzuki low range and manual transmission have a lot of use in skidding firewood out of the woods, and I like to be able to control my downhill speed manually.

If a manual were available, I would have went for it, and the engine breaking would not have been so important. I do like that feature though.

I have modes for 2 wheel & 4 wheel, and low range & high range. It also has very good ground clearance, but if you over estimate it, you can still hang it up (don't ask, but I'm glad I got a winch).

I wanted a ATV that could haul a load, and my property (and the surrounding area) is very steep. But as you mention, it is not a nimble ATV, but it is what I was looking for.

"Mess with the bull and you'll get the horn". Don't test it.
Lol. I say that too. This bunch is pretty tame. They came running over when the tree hit the ground and stayed and watched me cut it up. Even the screaming husqvarna didn't run them off. And this one took a liking to the poulan. Slobbered all over it. image.jpg

Still pretty green here, with an ocasional maverick. Lots of leaves on the ground, birches droping steady.
Replaced the door gaskets on the furnace, ready to lite it off. and get rid of some of that pine.
Don't be in to big of a hurry, winter will be here soon enough.
Wood, wood got to get me more wood, six saws ready and waiting.
Have to see Larry at the mill, see if I can scrounge some slab wood. I know he has a pile.
Passed by a stack of palets on the side of the road,went home to get the truck, and when I got back, they was gone. Damn wood pirates.

Needed every inch of it!!!

Got a package in the mail today with my 28" RSLH in it! Put my new 28" Light bar on 044 #2 and the new 661 R dogs I got and went out and cut an Oak Tree this afternoon.

This morning I delivered 1/2 cord to one person and another 1/2 cord to my daughter, which finished up that large pile I had cut and split, which totaled 10 generous cords. When I got home the mail came, and the chains were in the mail, so I went right out and cut some more.

This tall Red Oak will be for next year. It had holes from a woodpecker going after some carpenter ants in it, and I did not know how bad it was, so I was glad to have a bar that went all the way across it. Turns out the bottom end was mostly solid, but I left the hinge a little thick anyway, just to make sure. It fell right on the money.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Tree9-25-15 007.jpg
    Tree9-25-15 007.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
  • Tree9-25-15 003.jpg
    Tree9-25-15 003.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 67
  • Tree9-25-15 009.jpg
    Tree9-25-15 009.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
Needed every inch of it!!!

Got a package in the mail today with my 28" RSLH in it! Put my new 28" Light bar on 044 #2 and the new 661 R dogs I got and went out and cut an Oak Tree this afternoon.

This morning I delivered 1/2 cord to one person and another 1/2 cord to my daughter, which finished up that large pile I had cut and split, which totaled 10 generous cords. When I got home the mail came, and the chains were in the mail, so I went right out and cut some more.

This tall Red Oak will be for next year. It had holes from a woodpecker going after some carpenter ants in it, and I did not know how bad it was, so I was glad to have a bar that went all the way across it. Turns out the bottom end was mostly solid, but I left the hinge a little thick anyway, just to make sure. It fell right on the money.

Enjoy the pics.
Excellent.

My darling wife was dropping off some household waste at the county's collection point (the incinerator) when she saw a couple guys haul in a trailer loaded with beautiful ash rounds. She got to talking with them & found that they were just trying to find some place that would take the wood. Say no more!

I met them at a local McDonald's & we drove to our place where we unloaded their trailer.

All in all, there were over a dozen rounds of nice solid ash, about 24" diameter x 19" long.

Time to start splitting.....

Attachments

• DSC06765-edited.jpg
    DSC06765-edited.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 15
Not firewood, but I was looking for more pallets to stack on and willing to pay. When I check with a local place he pointed me to these and said take them. He couldn't get rid of them because of dimensions. Kind of weird size, but already built a big bin for chunks. There were still plenty if I wanted more. These thing are heavy!
80b5df95ce72cf41d11ab26459477091.jpg

Cut down 4 trees this morning. One decent sized ash about 16-18", 2 dead poplars and a beech. One of the poplars was a real widow maker. Had a mean bend about 15' up and was rotted out hollow. Then it hung up on another tree and we had to rope it and pull down with a tractor. The more I cut, the more I learn and realize just how dangerous it can be. Took a small piece off the hard hat while I was was cutting the wedge. Always wear the ppe. Be safe fellow scroungers!

My darling wife was dropping off some household waste at the county's collection point (the incinerator) when she saw a couple guys haul in a trailer loaded with beautiful ash rounds. She got to talking with them & found that they were just trying to find some place that would take the wood. Say no more!

I met them at a local McDonald's & we drove to our place where we unloaded their trailer.

All in all, there were over a dozen rounds of nice solid ash, about 24" diameter x 19" long.

Time to start splitting.....

Talk about "the good wife" ... Nice score!

Uncle Mike, I was over at my dads property in Garrison today, Dropped a couple dead standing ash and hauled the bed of my company truck, plus the dump trailer and Richie Onorati truck full of wood. Got back to my place and split split split. Richie is now a believer in FISKARS!!!! We're probably headed back next Saturday if you want to play along. Im soooo busy Managing the Service department that it totally slipped my mind to invite you today until I was telling pops everything we did today and he asked why I didn't invite you to play. So next Saturday is 80% right now. My wife is good with it, Richie is good with it, just trying to get Kent onboard too. Ohh and speaking of Kent, HE LOVES that 041 you gave him, he and I have been doing a bit at his place. Speaking of his place, he wants a bunch of trees dropped over there, and the old widow across the street has 10 acres of woods that she gave us permission to manage, clean the dead standing, and there are some big trees were going to need big saws to process.

All my other firewood fellas, work has been SUPER hectic lately, Got a giant promotion with a Giant raise. Went from turning wrenches to managing the whole department, have @40 people under me and its been some learning curve. Lucky for me the GM of the place treats me like a nephew and the owner too. They believe in me and love my positive attitude and quick thinking/problem solving. Can't wait to turn the ship around so I can relax a little, right now Im cutting the dead weight and adding strong personnel to build a winning team. Enough months in the red had them take a chance on me and two months in Im already made good changes to diminish there losses and still trying to make profit. Lucky for me, they are patient and allowing me the ability to make changes and standing behind me. Giving me the freedom to spend the money to get talent and never second guessing me. How have all you guys been??? I miss you boys, just too busy to be on here as much as I used too.

Latest posts

Back