Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I know it was some time ago (early 1990s) but I used to get truck loads of hardwood logs delivered for $250. They said it was 5 cord, but it was usually 6-7.

I really appreciated 044 #1 when I got it, replacing a Homelite 330. However, cutting in the log pile I soon replaced the 24" bar with a 20" bar, less collateral damage. That is really the only saw I used for the next 18 yrs.

Dan, my fingers hurt just thinking about you, and as I write this, my trigger finger on the left hand still has black under the finger nail, thankfully I was wearing gloves when I pinched it and got it out fast. Be careful out there everyone, we enjoy this, but it can be dangerous.

One time I was using the chainsaw for hours, then I put it down and picked up a hand saw to cut a small branch. Next thing you know the saw jumped and blood is coming out of my left hand. I had let my guard down because the chainsaw was so much more dangerous. No gloves or anything! Don't do that! I still have a little scar to remind me of that one.

Heal fast there Dan.

OMG. Sounds horrific and traumatizing to me. You a tough one, but please be careful in future, we like you and want you around on here for a while.

I was home by 7pm all stitched up the Doc used dissolving stitches , I told her that I was happy with that , I wouldn't need a magnifying glass to pull the stitches out , she laughed .
She said she couldn't believe how fast and good I was with the decision , I told her that I knew a few people that have had hand things reattached and were never really happy plus I wanted the fastest recovery time because winter's coming and don't have time to baby a spare finger .
I was at work all day and only bumped it twice LOL
The wife wouldn't let me mow the lawn after supper :(

Where do you buy your Ash logs from?
I've been looking for a log supplier around here, but they simply want too high of a price for me to make it feasible to buy loads.
I think it's up to $1500 a tandem(7-8 cords) load now.
But I keep looking.
I cut the log myself in the bush behind where I live. The land owner is a huge cash cropper and I get all the wood I want in exchange for keeping the bush lines and fence lines in check. That keeps me busy when the crops are off, when they are growing I cut inside the edge of the bush. Been removing ash and poplar.
I was just in Madoc on Saturday, we went on a bike trip to go to the Plowing match. Left Wingham, went north east thru Algonquin Park then down to the plowing match and came home on 7. Lots of trees around that way but prices for logs are creeping up. Then again I know I couldn't make mush money if I was selling logs either. Ash logs here are $300 for about 3 bush cord but good luck finding any.

My friend had a tree service take down some big willows in his yard last year. He paid them for the work they did to that point but they never came back to take the stumps.

We knocked down the shorter stump today and got it quartered into pieces that can be lifted onto a splitter. Some quality noodling time with the 2186. I was really surprised how it kept the revs up with the 28" bar but again willow isn't the hardest wood.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Well , I'm on the disabled list for a short bit , I was fishing out some small logs from the sellin logpile and had a 18"x8' hardmaple come down on the tip of my middle finger smashing on another , sparing the gore it got the tip mushed real good and got the tendon/nerve at the tip , after a trip to emerge and a consult with the doc , the best option for me was to shorten it up by 1 knuckle so the job was done .
Lesson is don't get the woodpile stacked so high and pay attention , I was concerned with logs rolling on me , not thinking about other situations .
It hurt less than I thot , the hand freezing hurt more LOL
I told the kids I was gonna glue a hotdog on the tip and dare kids to pull my finger for Halloween , the wife didn't think it was funny .
I'll be back to scrounging in a week or so , no worse than a broken rib , trigger finger works fine .

Sorry for your luck Dan. Hang in there, sounds like you are adjusting accordingly.:cheers:

So they amputated the distal phalange/your finger tip in the ER? Damn.

My friend had a tree service take down some big willows in his yard last year. He paid them for the work they did to that point but they never came back to take the stumps.

We knocked down the shorter stump today and got it quartered into pieces that can be lifted onto a splitter. Some quality noodling time with the 2186. I was really surprised how it kept the revs up with the 28" bar but again willow isn't the hardest wood.
View attachment 450314 View attachment 450315 View attachment 450316 View attachment 450317 View attachment 450319 View attachment 450320

Looks like the 2186 found its sweet spot!!!

Boy that bar looks sexy on there. That bar would of looked good one of my 7900's. lol

Whats the opinions of a 372 for a firewood saw? I have a 555 right now and am looking to unload a few of my older saws for the 372 as a back up saw for my 555. But who knows from what I hear maybe the 555 will be the back up saw.

Whats the opinions of a 372 for a firewood saw? I have a 555 right now and am looking to unload a few of my older saws for the 372 as a back up saw for my 555. But who knows from what I hear maybe the 555 will be the back up saw.
I haven't run a 555 but on paper you are adding a pound and a half of weight but picking up a whole horsepower which will definitely make you smile. You can run the same chains but will go to a large mount bar so you can run much longer bars if you choose.

I recently picked up a used 365 x torq and I am very impressed with the power and handling of this saw. A little heavy for limbing in my opinion but I can really lean on it in the wood. Huge difference from any 50cc saw I have ever run. I can imagine the 372 would be even better, same saw with half a horse more.

Well , I'm on the disabled list for a short bit , I was fishing out some small logs from the sellin logpile and had a 18"x8' hardmaple come down on the tip of my middle finger smashing on another , sparing the gore it got the tip mushed real good and got the tendon/nerve at the tip , after a trip to emerge and a consult with the doc , the best option for me was to shorten it up by 1 knuckle so the job was done .
Lesson is don't get the woodpile stacked so high and pay attention , I was concerned with logs rolling on me , not thinking about other situations .
It hurt less than I thot , the hand freezing hurt more LOL
I told the kids I was gonna glue a hotdog on the tip and dare kids to pull my finger for Halloween , the wife didn't think it was funny .
I'll be back to scrounging in a week or so , no worse than a broken rib , trigger finger works fine .
Man sorry to hear. I had somehow missed this post the other day. Speedy recovery.

I just order a otc compression tester. I feel like I may be able to pretend to be a small engine mechanic on the off days when no one is looking. Really I got it because it is a great way to quickly assess the health of a small engine when buying used. With the boat shopping I am doing, I really want to be able to test the compression between cylinders as that will give me a good idea of the health of the motor which is the big ticket item with a boat. Plus I am curious what my used saws are at. I am kind of excited for the new tool to show up.

Last week I had a curbside, no saw, no sweat scrounge of oak from the tree service. I need to just cut the limbs in half and a little splitting this weekend.

28fbba318422e21c6c5d62ff65d1e734.jpg

Latest posts

Back