Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How bout some smoked venison ribs?

View attachment 1108044
looks tasty! šŸ‘

i got several kettles. one been a what's on my bench project for more years than i care to mention. all restored, just needed assembly. other day i had reason to do just that. so i did. not sure if i will cook on it. the weber is a bit more HD, and a scrounge of junk value, rusted out, good grate, etc... from the Super Scrounge house deal. it also is in full service capacity now. i do my venison in bacon grease and flour. never done any deer ribs. smoked.
P1010025.JPG
P1010012.JPGP1010014.JPGP1010015.JPG

P1010016.JPGP1010013.JPGP1010023.JPG
legs were rusted bad at end, about to fall off. i carefully slipped in a wood plug in them, made and rasped to just fit. tap, tap... tap! set with JB, filled sides with JB, sanded round, primed and painted! good as new!! the weber's wheels were locked solid! one finally came loose. but then only would roll :crazy2:i knew the other side would not give, only break it did. with options i came up with a simple DIY solution. now is a nice roller! ~

Venison ribs were a failure. Of course this was a test to see if if would taste good. Deer fat is not tasty as I knew beforehand and the lean meat did not lend itself to a juicy texture. Now, if those were pork ribs on that there grill itā€™d be a different story.
no jerky? Sash-q on The Trail made jerky out of most of the bear he took! i would have thot those ribs would have been tender from the start, just needing some crust, etc....

did u use any wood to create smoke, bark?

Because venison is so lean, it is best cooked rare, or it has to be "in" something like stew.

I've had guests tell me to cook their venison "more", but when it is put out for the taking, the rare stuff disappears and the medium cooked stuff does not. I just takes one taste! Over cooking it does not taste well, and it gets very chewy. Also, all fat has to be removed.
the aged deer my Dad hung, cut up and did in stew sloo.... cooked always melted in mouth tasty!

venison bourguignon...
1693291146909.png

Had a whole row of stacked wood fall over last night, no idea why. It was very solid last I checked, and the base was still darn close to level. Oh well itā€™s stacked back up now.

Also still waiting for a handle from whisky river trading co to fix my smaller axe, ordered 10 days ago and have got nothing. This is what I get for not just going to the store to get a cheapo
hi lf -

hate it when that happens! :lol:

my dually still sits like ur last pix, full of oak to cut to firewood. maybe the 108/9f temps here have been the issue! i got me some new lumberjack suspenders for the look mostly. red! snazzie. thot i might actually dress the part and be a real backyard lumberjack! lol
1693289218223.png1693289269946.png

I don't get it. You make it sound like firewood stuff is not a suitable date night activity :rare2:
"...................................................................................................................."

[reply deleted, [X] not family theme suited]

Medallions in cast iron!! That is the BEST way
thinking i mite use one of my grills i am messing around with for cast iron cook center...
found out it was missing the grease pan. scrounge hand-me-down. nice unit. needed some service work. now A-OK! šŸ‘ i found me one on the A-z. $30 for my size. had credits. came in at $11.00. adj, fits perfectly. nice new big grease pan. but not sure too much needed when frying in cast fry pans lolP1010030.JPGP1010031.JPG

found out it was missing the grease pan. scrounge hand-me-down. nice unit. needed some service work. now A-OK! šŸ‘ i found me one on the A-z. $30 for my size. had credits. came in at $11.00. adj, fits perfectly. nice new big grease pan. but not sure too much needed when frying in cast fry pans lol
.P1010026.JPG
P1010028.JPGP1010029.JPGP1010003.JPG

I asked my wife when I came in at 8:15 from splitting, ā€œwhy didnā€™t you come out and helpā€

No reply, just ā€œthe lookā€

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
:yes:

did the same yesterday. why didn't you come out and help me rake pine needles? she had said after Sunday's road trip, trip first, then she would help with binning. suddenly that eve, nap was over... rain!... calling for rain!. windy, and cloudy, dark, out i went... binned up 20 or so piles pine needles etc. (no rains!)

then came in, thot u was going to help me bin pine needles...?

"the look"
:oops:

( but i got a comment or two, too! :laugh:)

The best ... Venison Steaks (backstrap or rump) grilled over Black Cherry, cooked rare!

Marinate for 24 hours first. Our marinate includes Olive Oil, Kikkoman Soy Sauce and sliced ginger root. It ALWAYS takes any gaminess out of the meat.

The Black Cherry just imparts a little additional flavor!
i roll my medallions in seasoned flour, into fry pan, hot bacon grease... and cook til signs just appear. then perfectly rare/med rare inside...

an ol farm boy showed me how to do it that way. young guy then. whatever the cut, that is how i do deer meat. he had a back strap and invited me over for venison dinner.
1693290517414.png

so tasty, i even do beef roasts, top sirloin, etc the same way. i call them Ranch Grillers

Latest posts

Back