Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little dated, but here we go,

IMG951068.png

SR

I'm going to need a dance card to keep track of all the scrounged wood for Aug/Sept. I took some off my trails and still have more to do just to get through from one end to the other. Had three trailer loads delivered Saturday, Sunday, and today, with another coming on Friday. Today, I picked up a couple more tractor buckets of rounds I cut from downed branches on our road. I am scheduled tomorrow evening to pick up a trailer full of logs from a contact I made two years ago. Sometime this week I have to pick up a few truck loads of rounds from the kid that I asked to cut many large chunks into manageable pieces. I have several logs waiting on me at the neighbor lady's property. She's also having a tree in her yard taken down next week and they are going to leave the wood behind her barn. If I find time there are a few areas in town with storm damaged wood that I could get. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Maybe my kids are right... they think I'm obsessed!
Sounds like you need to charge more ;).
Sure is good to be ahead, and have folks delivering some to you.

Last pick the Elm? Looks like Red Elm? I'd like to find one to make into lumber.
Yep elm.
I dropped an 8'⁶ log off it tonight, the Kubota struggled to lift it. Still another 8'⁶ one there, but I left it on to help push the root ball around/ help break it loose and get it out of the hole. I'll cut it off the root ball once the bark is totally covered in dirt 😳.
Come and get them, they're yours to have :).
Tried to get my buddy who does a lot of chainsaw milling to take them, but he said they are too small for him, go big or go home i guess.
When I was buying I was thinking a longer hooked saw would be useful but quite frankly, with the 18' pole set up the lightest saw possible is greatly appreciated! With a 6' or 12' pole set up a longer hooked blade could be useful but at anywhere from 6' to 12' I could use my Stihl HT131 saw with it's 14' bar. As such, I don't think I'll be buying another blade but maybe someday... 😉

I just spoke with the electrical contractor about a new pole. I anticipate this job is going to be stupid expensive due to all the bed rock and access problems.
I agree, all three pieces I bought are heavy for sure. I also wanted something to cut out my gas polesaw if I ever get stuck bad, so bigger seemed to be better for that application. Another thought is that that the longer blade will help me to make it thru many branches with just one stroke, which should help conserve some energy, but I don't do too much pruning work anyway.
Sounds like a fun one for sure!

Yep elm.
I dropped an 8'⁶ log off it tonight, the Kubota struggled to lift it. Still another 8'⁶ one there, but I left it on to help push the root ball around/ help break it loose and get it out of the hole. I'll cut it off the root ball once the bark is totally covered in dirt 😳.
Come and get them, they're yours to have :).
Tried to get my buddy who does a lot of chainsaw milling to take them, but he said they are too small for him, go big or go home i guess......
I wish I could. One that size is about all my little trailer can handle. Red Elm has a beautiful grain and is one of those overlooked furniture grade lumbers.

Having lots of fun with that post/tree puller. I wish it had a hydraulic swivel on it. I cleared out this area today. Posts with horizontal wires going in soon to keep the Concord grape vines down low for easy picking.

Attachments

• 20230829_165755.jpg
    20230829_165755.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230829_182543.jpg
    20230829_182543.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
Having lots of fun with that post/tree puller. I wish it had a hydraulic swivel on it. I cleared out this area today. Posts with horizontal wires going in soon to keep the Concord grape vines down low for easy picking.
Looks like that puller will be more than worth the price. You are really able to get your place cleaned up with it. :drinkingcoffee:

Looks like that puller will be more than worth the price. You are really able to get your place cleaned up with it. :drinkingcoffee:
It is worth every penny. Not having to get off the tractor is a huge plus. Most of the root balls are gone too. I have a mound of Sumacs to get rid of. They are a real PITA. They are so soft that this unit literally snaps off most of them under 1" leaving the roots in place. I snapped off a few 2" ones yesterday in that clearing that I made on the other side of the barn. I will end up spraying the roots with Roundup once the tops are gone. I did take down a 8" Cherry and pulled the roots out with this tool yesterday. That took some work. I'll get a picture of that today.

Attachments

• 20230827_091342.jpg
    20230827_091342.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230827_091405.jpg
    20230827_091405.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm going to need a dance card to keep track of all the scrounged wood for Aug/Sept. I took some off my trails and still have more to do just to get through from one end to the other. Had three trailer loads delivered Saturday, Sunday, and today, with another coming on Friday. Today, I picked up a couple more tractor buckets of rounds I cut from downed branches on our road. I am scheduled tomorrow evening to pick up a trailer full of logs from a contact I made two years ago. Sometime this week I have to pick up a few truck loads of rounds from the kid that I asked to cut many large chunks into manageable pieces. I have several logs waiting on me at the neighbor lady's property. She's also having a tree in her yard taken down next week and they are going to leave the wood behind her barn. If I find time there are a few areas in town with storm damaged wood that I could get. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Maybe my kids are right... they think I'm obsessed!
My kids say the same thing HR but they can't say I've ever ran out of wood!

Even worse today when we have a natural born dope as President with his natural born dopehead son.
Also worse today because of the things that were set up back when the bummer was in office.
Plenty of idiots out there, on both sides, many are just doing what their mastere tell them to, but some have dementia and can't help but go off script.
Saw this today, idiots!
https://www.youtube.com/live/T-Y9udVknTo?si=ulSY7uiP-9W8-gYe

Normally do the equivalent of one deer into jerky, next is about 20 quarts of cold pack along with the mentioned back straps and inner loins for cooking. Depending on the mood, will grind the remainder with possible snack stick/trail bologna.
Back straps & tenderloins ...10-4 !

Latest posts

Back