Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to grill backstraps. I do them whole and slice after like you would a prime rib. Every thing else is either ground or roasts. Ground goes into everything from spaghetti sauce to chili. Roasts get the crock pot and a can of cream of mushroom, no water. It makes its own gravy and I've had family members tell me "mmm, that's good roast beef" 😆

I like to grill backstraps. I do them whole and slice after like you would a prime rib. Every thing else is either ground or roasts. Ground goes into everything from spaghetti sauce to chili. Roasts get the crock pot and a can of cream of mushroom, no water. It makes its own gravy and I've had family members tell me "mmm, that's good roast beef" 😆
Normally do the equivalent of one deer into jerky, next is about 20 quarts of cold pack along with the mentioned back straps and inner loins for cooking. Depending on the mood, will grind the remainder with possible snack stick/trail bologna.

IMG-0803-1.jpg

SR

My 2 cents , have used Tasco , Bushnell on rim fires . Weaver , Redfield & Simmonds on centre fires .450 bigbore , 30-06 , 300 H&H . I recently bought a Swarovski for my new .378 Weatherby . As far as optics , I have never once had a scope fog once , wether hunting deer , moose , elk or caribou or routine squirrel or hare . However , I am religious within firearm mtce & proper storage & handling . The actual purchase of swarovski scope was more for durability reputation rather than shear optics quality . Neither of the previous mentioned scope manufacturers ever failed me over the previous 50 + yrs !
I've never had a scope fail either, and I have vintage scopes on lots of my rifles. A 1912 Malcolm on my 1912 22 HiPower, a 1925 Fecker on my 1902 303, I929 Noske on 1929 Savage, several Weaver K4's, and Redfield 2X7's. I wonder what people do to them to make them fail.

Taking pruning to the next level... His channel name is catchy too. ;)

I need to show that video to my neighbor. When they first moved in I told them to cut those nubs off flush, or one of their grand kids was going to put their eye out. Last year they called and asked if I would mow their lawn, their lawn guys truck was broke down. I did and the first tree I tried to go under, wham, right into my forehead, almost center between my eyes. Blood all over the place. When they got home I told them that was the last time I would ever mow their lawn. They laughed like it was funny. A month later they asked again and I said nope. They got all serious and asked why. I said I had told them not to leave those sharp pencil like stubs sticking out twice, and they laughed their arses off when I jabbed one in my forehead. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I don't care if they cut all their trees down, I'll never mow for them again.

I was wondering how they would turn out… Up here there’s just not enough good meat of them, but I thought maybe further south they might be palatable.
I always place venision ribs in my slow cooker after removing the silver backing skin & any tallow . Usually 3-4 hrs on low to medium heat . My Root beer venison ribs are outstanding , juicy & tender . One can of Root beer along with sauted onions & garlic powder & course black pepper . I also slow cook then smoke venison ribs in hickory with honey garlic rub or glaze , also very tasty . The thing with venison or any wild game is the
prep & cook time . Medium rare is the best for any lean meat I find , ensures juicy & tender not dried out or tough . Caribou , Elk & Moose I usually smoke for flavour then barbecue medium rare also with various rubs or glazes or just season with onion & garlic powder along with a pinch or sea salt & course black pepper & barbecue until 135-140 f core temp .

I'm going to need a dance card to keep track of all the scrounged wood for Aug/Sept. I took some off my trails and still have more to do just to get through from one end to the other. Had three trailer loads delivered Saturday, Sunday, and today, with another coming on Friday. Today, I picked up a couple more tractor buckets of rounds I cut from downed branches on our road. I am scheduled tomorrow evening to pick up a trailer full of logs from a contact I made two years ago. Sometime this week I have to pick up a few truck loads of rounds from the kid that I asked to cut many large chunks into manageable pieces. I have several logs waiting on me at the neighbor lady's property. She's also having a tree in her yard taken down next week and they are going to leave the wood behind her barn. If I find time there are a few areas in town with storm damaged wood that I could get. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Maybe my kids are right... they think I'm obsessed!

Latest posts

Back