Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is of my rounds piles. Notice the empty crates in the left side, I have 30 of those to fill yet. And my wife has 6 months of crap that she wants done 1st. Could be worse though, today I changed out my nieces oil tank out with a new double walled one. Ain't no oil tank at my house, well except for their old one which is going to be a burn barrel.
IMG_20151018_111423.jpg IMG_20151018_111358.jpg

I needed a couple of 2x4's so I go to the mill and saw them out , I cover up the mill and start picking up my lumber thinking that the mill is making funny noises , I turn and find that it's my little buddy LOL

15%2B-%2B1

No hockey stick in sight and you can't swing a green white pine 2x4 very fast LOL
I guess I'll have to go to the store and scrounge for supper there .

You should of tried to tame him Dan. Have yourself a shop grouse.

I had a pet shop duck at a place I lived. He was awesome. He thought he was a parrot and would perch on you while working on stuff. He was good about not pooping on you too.

Unfortunately shop duck learned the hard way that coyotes aren't friends. That was a sad day for me.

I had a bittersweet scrounging day. Started off awesome.

I was going after a bald Sugar Maple limb that was down and a small Elm that my neighbor pointed out to me yesterday when we were coming back with the oak.

So I took the wheeler and the trailer the long way around so I would be coming back home when I was done. I stopped by my lone mature White Oak while the dog was raising heck with a squirrel.

My White Oak.

Sitting on the wheeler I noticed this right next to me. A bald limb hung up in some saplings.

It came from this which I figured was a Sugar Maple so sweet.

I want that tree. Buuuuuut that top like that makes me a touch skittish dumping it.

So, I hacked up the limb. Nice and dry hardwood. Awesome for the early burn.

Now on to the main part of my morning scrounge.
I went and scarfed up the bald Sugar Maple limb. This also happened to be the same place where I go off the trail to my deer blind.

Put some new tent stakes in the deer blind and started snooping around. about 40 yards away I notice a Sugar Maple top down. NICE!!!!

So looking around and figuring a path in, I figure this would be one of my Off Road Toad scrounges. The kind where I am cutting a trail in and things kind of get skittish with the wagon. Keep that part in mind. I lucked out that part an old logging road was almost right there, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I went next to the Elm.

I bucked that up and wound up with this nice little load.

Took it home and unloaded it. Touched up the saws and was set on going after that downed Sugar limb.

The Neighbor and his boy were out cutting up some old concrete forms. We talked and I told him my plan.

They wanted to help so away we went but first I wanted to show him the tree with the squirrelly looking top hanging down. We got there and he was looking at it.

He said "Did you notice the woodpeckers have not been after it?" I don't think it's Sugar Maple.

He grabbed the 7900, cleared a swath around the tree, and dumped it. Just like that.

It wasn't Sugar Maple...but a PRIMO Black Ash. I have not seen any other black ashes on the property. Go figure next to the lone mature white oak.

Sweet!! It's next to the trail so I told him I would get it later. Let's go after that top.

Took the old logging road, finagled the trailer in, and away we went.

In less than 30 minutes we were bucked up and loaded. Nice.

So....pulling out, one of the trailer wheels dropped into a rut. The trailer rolled off of the ball and sent wood and saws flying. Got everything loaded back up and noticed the 7900 had a chunk out of the case right under the flywheel. Dammit!!!!!

Re-loaded the trailer, went home and unloaded. I was bummed so I just mowed leaves instead of finishing up the ash.

I told the neighbor no more off road scrounging for me.

No big snow here yet, just enough to get my attention. 21* this morning with a stiff NW wind. Perfect cuttin' weather!
Nipply there! Low 30s last night and tonight, so we have had a fire ticking over. MUCH nicer cutting on oakzilla now that it isn't near 100 degrees with the same humidity. I use the full cutting pants and not chaps, they get a bit warm, tell ya whut....

I hear ya Clint, but I did not start real early as it was 22 degrees here this morning, and we had snow flurries 3 times. Got all the cutting done by 1:00 but gave all 5 saws a good workout! It is not my strongest saw, but I'm still impressed with how my 044 #2 pulls that 28" bar, and those 661 R spikes really help to get a grip when you are horizontal, making it a good light wt saw for felling & stumping, and those ported 046s make bucking go real fast!

Finished cutting up a Red Oak I had previously dropped, and double cut 3 stumps, 2 of them exceeding what that 28" bar will reach through. The pics show the 3 Red Oaks have have cut up for next year's firewood.

Also got a nice shot of the fall colors, those Sugar Maples are just beautiful! Enjoy!

Attachments

• Mustang-Wood10-18-15 003.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 003.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
  • Mustang-Wood10-18-15 004.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 004.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 82
  • Mustang-Wood10-18-15 005.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 005.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 86
  • Mustang-Wood10-18-15 006.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 006.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 76
  • Mustang-Wood10-18-15 007.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 007.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 71
  • Mustang-Wood10-18-15 008.jpg
    Mustang-Wood10-18-15 008.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 64
Took another front nubbie off then switched to the butt end to even out the weight. I am working towards where the main support branches are holding this thing up. I blocked under the stump end and got two near perfect big rounds. Gonna be a lot of primo heartwood in each round. Bonus pic is a red cedar log I noodle-ripped, start on building a new mail box post and support. Man, that's some pretty wood. I spread the noodles out in the dog houses. IMG_20151018_125842(2).jpg IMG_20151018_133422(2).jpg IMG_20151018_185622.jpg

edit: I didn't notice it until I looked at the second pic full size, but lookit that pile of chips and sawdust from just two cuts..and that's only half of it, the other side has another big pile.

Benp , strap that saw down on the bike and get back out there LOL
Awesome woodpiles there MM , looks way to neat , someone have ocd ?
Zog , them temps you work in , way too hot for me LOL
I do wear chainsaw pants more often than my chaps .
You two Ontario guys , keep that stuff to yourselves , I don't need it here yet , too much stuff to do .
A tip about putting your Zogger wood in garbage buckets , drill holes in the bottom , I forgot to drill one of mine :(

Guys it looks like it started life off as a didier look alike then got heavily modified. It got raised to a decent working height with some C channel and then had the 3hp engine replaced with a 12hp monster. It has good cycle time and the wedge is NOT on the pusher which I like. I want to weld up a log lift and a larger reservoir. For three bills I can't complain, my BIL and I put eight hours on it this weekend with zero issues. We love it! And our wives warmed up to it after he explained about how it made the hickory pieces succumb when the fiskars wouldn't

Ha-ha got 9" yesterday. I had the pleasure of driving through it last night at 8 PM on my way back from Pawling NY. Roads were slick and people were acting like they couldn't remember how to drive again lol. It's already reduced to a few inches or more from the sun and warm ground. The Lake effect machine was doing it job. I better get my wood moved lol.

One of these days you will have to let me know when you are in the neighborhood!
My SIL lives up on top of South Quaker hill in Brewster. We came down for her daughters wedding, stayed two nights in Danbury. Had a great time, drank too much but was all worth it. If I could spare a little time when I visit them I'd like to meet up. Have you ever heard of Old Town Barns?

Well it was a little cold this morning, it was the first frost of the year for me. I got the stove officially burning for the year. Burning the pine up now. It will be 60's/70's later this week.

I did get back from my trip to watkins this long weekend. The fishing was slow but there was a huge cold front that came through that shut everything down. The fall colors were awesome and my wife didn't like shore fishing that much so the boat shopping continues. The drive home yesterday wasnt any fun because we hit some white outs along the way. Thankfully nothing was sticking. Time to put the fishing gear away and get the bow out.

We did start the process for our first batch of Catawba. 5 gallons of dry Catawba under way. Hopefully this comes out great.
723596d90d11976125a4ade7a2591505.jpg

Well it was a little cold this morning, it was the first frost of the year for me. I got the stove officially burning for the year. Burning the pine up now. It will be 60's/70's later this week.

I did get back from my trip to watkins this long weekend. The fishing was slow but there was a huge cold front that came through that shut everything down. The fall colors were awesome and my wife didn't like shore fishing that much so the boat shopping continues. The drive home yesterday wasnt any fun because we hit some white outs along the way. Thankfully nothing was sticking. Time to put the fishing gear away and get the bow out.

We did start the process for our first batch of Catawba. 5 gallons of dry Catawba under way. Hopefully this comes out great.
723596d90d11976125a4ade7a2591505.jpg
Keep us posted on the results!

Latest posts

Back