Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My youngest who is also 4 cries if I don't let him help. He helps me split kindling but I hold the hatchet. My 5yo isn't a fan of helping.

I'm near King's Dominion if you know it. I'm about 25 miles north of Richmond if you don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah my 4 year old is Daddy's boy for sure. The others just want to play the race car game in the house.

I pass through Richmond a lot and go to several military bases in VA. Just went camping in Westmoreland State Park this past weekend. It's my second time there. That's the best camping area I've been to so far. Freaking love that place! My dog loved it too. He looked so proud of himself every time he was successful at fetching sticks from the bay. A pitbull/Am Staff that likes to fetch is a rare thing.

Pits love to fetch, it's just getting them to drop it that is tough, they would rather play tug!

If you encounter punky wood, try cutting a few feet further down the log, sometimes it changes and there are good sections.

lol. Yes sir, you are absolutely right about that. I can get him to drop it but it takes a few commands. Made that my first priority in dog training since pits have a very bad public reputation and they are powerful animals. I don't want to contribute with the negative breed stigma.

My neighbor does that. That's just what some people like to do, personally I wont do it. Too much mold and bugs that come in on the wood. Plus you take that much wood inside and you bring a lot of moisture with it. My neighbor runs a dehumidifier nonstop for weeks but most of his wood is not fully seasoned to begin with. I've had some ants wake up that were buried in some questionable wood and its a pain when you have to clean them up while they are scattering. But if non of that bothers you and you have the room then go for it.

My neighbor does that. That's just what some people like to do, personally I wont do it. Too much mold and bugs that come in on the wood. Plus you take that much wood inside and you bring a lot of moisture with it. My neighbor runs a dehumidifier nonstop for weeks but most of his wood is not fully seasoned to begin with. I've had some ants wake up that were buried in some questionable wood and its a pain when you have to clean them up while they are scattering. But if non of that bothers you and you have the room then go for it.

I was just thinking that. I may bring in a few days worth but no more. I'll stack a few days worth on my front porch so at least it's sheltered from the rain. I've seen some bugs and crap that I've never seen before while splitting firewood. Don't want them running around in my ice cold house. Plus my wife is terrified of spiders and I've definitely seen some large, gnarly looking suckers recently.

If I had a stove in an unfinished basement I'd load that sucker up and not have to mess with it during the burning season. After the wood is in for a couple of days set off a bug bomb or three to nuke whatever was hitch hiking on the wood.

My wood stove is in the unfinished basement. I put out ant traps and spray the top row of block in the basement with the bug barrier stuff. I load up the with a week or more at a time and burn away. I live in rural enough area that I always have spiders with and without burning wood so I they really dont bother me but they are still kill on sight.

My wood stove is in the unfinished basement. I put out ant traps and spray the top row of block in the basement with the bug barrier stuff. I load up the with a week or more at a time and burn away. I live in rural enough area that I always have spiders with and without burning wood so I they really dont bother me but they are still kill on sight.

I actually like spiders since they eat other pests. This year I'm having some issues with camel crickets. I'm hoping the snakes come back into my yard to eat these suckers.

Back