Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to like to have 2 piles of wood inside. One dry to last a few days, and the other one drying. If you bring in too much wood, you are encouraging mice, etc.
I am lucky that I have a cat, that is a killing machine... he's an indoor outdoor cat, I bet pull a mouse out of the driveway everyday.

Oh man, just got in and wifey surprised me with filet minot's can't beat that. My buddy and I were surveying the rest of the logger left tops, prolly got more than 40 more tops to pull out......yippee and Uhhggg...I'm getting a real work out here. As I said though, I love it...but I'm beat...we had 7 acres cut and it seem's like 50...:crazy2:
We are kicking ass cause it is really hilly and we haven't had over an inch of rain in the last 6 weeks and I think it may be the only time I can get in there to get them, gotta do whatsa gotta do! I'm so far ahead now that I'm leaving the poplar tops, hell with them. More pics tomorrow, only pulling ash, oak, and hard maple tomorrow. I'm so beat tonight I don't even want a beer...well that's a lie, see you scroungers tomorrow! Yeah, gonna have a couple...:drinking:

I see we're talking bout wood in the basement, I usually keep about 2 cords in my basement once the burning commences.
I never have a bug problem, we have 4 inside cats and 2 dogs, one of our cats eats everything that moves..:laugh:
I sort and rotate my basement stash every 2 weeks, I bet I touch every piece of firewood 12 - 16 times after felling. All of my wood is covered with tarps outside once the snow starts. Steve, never bug bomb a basement with a lit furnace. That includes a pilot light lit on a furnace or water heater. Could end up like an elevator explosion.:blob2:

Anyone ever burn madrone? I read through this:

http://www.mastersweep.com/wood.htm

Says madrone is the best type of firewood. Then says live oak is the next best type. Had to look up "live oak" and found that it is evergreen oak trees. White oak is said to be troublesome firewood. I thought white oak was primo wood except for the long drying times! Or perhaps whomever wrote that is using troublesome because the white oak wasn't properly seasoned.

That article if you want to call it that is pretty weak on the explanation. Looks mostly like personal opinion to me. But seriously I will take that white oak off your hands it truly is trouble some.

HELL NO. I have multiple bruises on my shin from my one handled wheel barrow, hours upon hours of sweat, sore muscles, and tick bites all from scrounging that white oak. No way in hell I'm giving it up.

HELL NO. I have multiple bruises on my shin from my one handled wheel barrow, hours upon hours of sweat, sore muscles, and tick bites all from scrounging that white oak. No way in hell I'm giving it up.

I am about to send you a scrap piece of 2x4 so you can make a new handle.

I am about to send you a scrap piece of 2x4 so you can make a new handle.

Thanks dude but don't think it will work. The 2x4 will be too wide to attach to the metal frame. If this tree trimming guy comes through and starts dropping off dump truck loads of logs I may just go with the Gorilla cart

lmfao! she is 16lbs but yes those rounds were huge! cut with a 372xp 32inch bar.

My sister has aussie shepards and I have aussie cattle dogs. However she does have a mini also but it just seemed like that was big wood.

Thanks dude but don't think it will work. The 2x4 will be too wide to attach to the metal frame. If this tree trimming guy comes through and starts dropping off dump truck loads of logs I may just go with the Gorilla cart

My thought was to just drill a couple bolt holes and sister it to the existing handle.

My thought was to just drill a couple bolt holes and sister it to the existing handle.

Yep, I thought of that. Not sure what sister means but I was thinking about drilling bolt holes, placing some kind of flat metal pieces along the broken handle the left over shaft attached to the frame. Anyway, enough about my wheel barrow lol.

Yep, I thought of that. Not sure what sister means but I was thinking about drilling bolt holes, placing some kind of flat metal pieces along the broken handle the left over shaft attached to the frame. Anyway, enough about my wheel barrow lol.

The 2x4 would run parallel with the left over handle. Then you drill 2-3 holes through both and bolt them together. The term is really discussing dealing with a weak or cut joist but it's the same thought process.

The thread is kinda slow right now anyway. I know I'm just trying to find wood to C/S/S and trying to keep my power bill down burning what I already have.

Tree id needed .
Is this a young locust ?
No, I think it is called a devil's walking stick. Just a shrub tree.
IMG_20151018_145706.jpg

IMG_20151018_145726.jpg

The 2x4 would run parallel with the left over handle. Then you drill 2-3 holes through both and bolt them together. The term is really discussing dealing with a weak or cut joist but it's the same thought process.

The thread is kinda slow right now anyway. I know I'm just trying to find wood to C/S/S and trying to keep my power bill down burning what I already have.

I see. There's some sistering done on my floor joists in the basement, if I can use that term lol. I need to get far ahead on my wood supply to eventually burn wood that's been seasoned for 2+ years.

Back