Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree stands aren't a must but they help. In rifle season I hunt a lot on the ground. It allows me to be mobile and on public land in PA that is a must at least for the first few days. Archery I am always in a stand. I try to take as many as I have tags for but that has never happened. I typically have a buck tag and two doe tags. For the last 4 years I have gotten 1 to 2 deer a year depending. Prior to that I had some lean years. Its been a while since I got a buck. As for hunting archery is from the beginning of October until the end of the second week of November. Then 2 weeks of rifle season. Then there is an extended archery after Christmas but I haven't had much luck hunting the late season. I am hoping to get 1 to 2 again this year. Knock on wood it happens.

Well packaged venison will last two years but best to eat it sooner. I try to run out of venison by spring time which means lots of it from deer season through mid winter then cooking up the odd packages that are left when it starts to warm up.

Nice! Someone bought my wife and I one of those food packaging appliances. Still haven't found a reason to use it yet. Would be pretty awesome to see a crap load of venison perfectly sealed sitting my freezer.

If you haven't hunted before, take a hunter's safety class. I always took it for granted, since I grew up in a hunting family, but they can have a lot of valuable information.
The school district here teaches hunter's safety to all 6th graders as a part of the school curriculum. The reasoning was that, even if the kid doesn't hunt, and doesn't live in a house where firearms are present, there is still a good chance that they will come in contact with firearms and / or hunters at some point in time.
The teacher who leads it brings rifles and shotguns into the school to demonstrate how to safely handle them, and at the end of the course, the student has an option to go to a local shooting range on a Saturday, and take the field portion of the hunter's safety certification. Very valuable, real world stuff.

Just passed the online hunter safety course about 3 minutes ago. That's a great course. The Marines take firearm safety to a whole new level. The four safety rules were drilled into us all the time. If you flagged someone with your barrel, expect to hear a lot of screaming and someone will be in your face promptly.

Tree stands aren't a must but they help. In rifle season I hunt a lot on the ground. It allows me to be mobile and on public land in PA that is a must at least for the first few days. Archery I am always in a stand. I try to take as many as I have tags for but that has never happened. I typically have a buck tag and two doe tags. For the last 4 years I have gotten 1 to 2 deer a year depending. Prior to that I had some lean years. Its been a while since I got a buck. As for hunting archery is from the beginning of October until the end of the second week of November. Then 2 weeks of rifle season. Then there is an extended archery after Christmas but I haven't had much luck hunting the late season. I am hoping to get 1 to 2 again this year. Knock on wood it happens.

Do you have to pay for each tag? I don't care what I get, doe or buck. I'll probably never want to hang a trophy on my wall and will probably cry when I actually shoot a deer lol (huge animal lover). Someone has to keep the population under control though and I may as well be included.

Archery starts Sep 11 - Oct 21, Oct 26-Nov 27, Dec 14-18, then a few more weeks in Jan. I'm getting excited now! Able to accumulate my own heating source and food, can't beat it.

Nah she knows the game plus I have a lot of back yard that can hold wood before I needed to put it in the front yard.

As for learning to hunt. Get out and do it. You will learn more from getting out in the woods and hunting. The best way to learn is to get out and see what you see, hunt the thickest areas you can find an you will find game. Seriously you seem like a smart guy you can figure this out. Plus from my understanding MD has liberal bag limits. If I had more time and the access I would be hunting MD as well as PA since I am around an hour or hour and a half from the border. But since I hunt public land in PA, I need to make the most of the available time to try and fill the freezer. Speaking of which, I need to start hunting because the freezer is getting down to slim pickings.
just to tease you NA. 5b buck

Gotta ask you all something, and I'm going to make this my 1,000 th post, is 3pm too early for beer?
if you have to ask....................................................................................................................................:laugh:

Attachments

• 2015-10-2109.03.37.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 8
The guy that does my deer wraps it tightly in freezer paper and I have never had freezer burned meat.

I know guys who seal their own in those vacuum packers and they will pre-season the meat before sealing it so it basically marinades in the sealed package. Sounds like a win win to me.

That sounds fantastic. Open up a pack and slap it on the grill, mmmm. You guys are turning my family and I into semi self sustainers. My wife is making homemade laundry detergent because I heard someone from this thread mention his wife makes it. Told my wife and she tried it, works great and will probably never buy store bought again. Started gardening to go along with my new wood burning practice. All I need is an older diesel I can convert to run on used cooking oil and I'll be set.

And the are?:
-
-
-
-

Thanks

Philbert

Philbert!

Okay, it's not the same as the hunter safety course though
Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are prepared to fire
Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire

That sounds fantastic. Open up a pack and slap it on the grill, mmmm. You guys are turning my family and I into semi self sustainers. My wife is making homemade laundry detergent because I heard someone from this thread mention his wife makes it. Told my wife and she tried it, works great and will probably never buy store bought again. Started gardening to go along with my new wood burning practice. All I need is an older diesel I can convert to run on used cooking oil and I'll be set.

Philbert!

Okay, it's not the same as the hunter safety course though
Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are prepared to fire
Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
pretty much the same rules as hunting ambull.
my buddy gives me some deer bologna every year for letting him hunt here. vacuum packed it last 2-3 years in the freezer.

pretty much the same rules as hunting ambull.
my buddy gives me some deer bologna every year for letting him hunt here. vacuum packed it last 2-3 years in the freezer.

You can make bologna from deer meat!? Oh yes, wife will definitely give me the go ahead to hunt as much as I want. Stock the freezer and provide sandwich meat for kid's school lunches.

Sorry about my frequent posts guys, I'm starting my new job in November so until then I have no work to do in my current position.

What is P&Y and B&C? Hope that's not some kind of deer to human disease.
P&Y...Pope and Young record book for archery
B&C...Boone and Crockett record book for gun

You can make bologna from deer meat!? Oh yes, wife will definitely give me the go ahead to hunt as much as I want. Stock the freezer and provide sandwich meat for kid's school lunches.
almost anything they make from beef they can make from deer. jerky, bologna,dried beef, slim jims. AND STEAKS!!!!!!

I've scrounged 2 cast iron Dutch ovens over the last few years :)
Now that the temps have dropped it's the time to get in the woods for next year's wood before the snows stop us .
TKeller , thanks for that :) , the neighbour thot it was called walking stick so with what you and DFK have provided I know what it is , I was hoping for locust :(
Nobody wants to trade that terrible looking red oak for balsam fir ?
I'll do a 2 for 1 trade :)

Yes you can. There is jerky, and hot sticks, and pretty much anything you want. I haven't gotten enough to experiments with jerky, hot sticks or the other stuff. Soon you will be asking about grinders, butchering knives, and butchering techniques. By the way since I started cutting up my own deer, I won't take it to a shop. I wrap my meat in plastic wrap and freezer paper or straight into freezer game bags.

P&Y...Pope and Young record book for archery
B&C...Boone and Crockett record book for gun

Would be awesome if I could take a record breaker buck but how in the hell would I get him out of the woods!? I'll have to chop body parts off and carry him piece by piece.

almost anything they make from beef they can make from deer. jerky, bologna,dried beef, slim jims. AND STEAKS!!!!!!
Sim jims and steaks. Jerky! I need to get on this quick. In-laws gave me a jerky making machine too that I've never used.

Back