Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many of you guys have burned black walnut? I've got a couple of them in the backyard and always scheme of selling the trunks for veneer one day, anyone ever done it? I know people get some crazy ideas of what a 20" DBH tree would be worth, I've always been curious. Anyone have any idea?
I burn a decent amount of black walnut. I just picked some up today matter or fact. My first scrounge was also black walnut. It burns pretty good for me. I will never turn it down.

Had a fantastic day today!
Went to see these logs that I was told were 1 meter round. Yep..... 1 to 1.2 Meters or 4 feet thick, and there is 40 feet of it for the taking.
The lady that owns the place is one of those genuinely fantastic people!
79 years old, tells me her husband dies last year and apparently she cut up the rest of the tree, and I wouldn't put it past her! Told me she was raised in the north of Western Australia on a massive property and that country is hard!
When I turned up she said, "Oh good, your young and strong...... Do you have a large saw?"
Apparently others had come to look but driven off with their tails between their legs.
Every time I turned around she was videoing me on her phone or trying to help by hitting in wedges. In the end I told her I loved the fact that she wanted to help but I really didn't want to injure her if the saw threw a chain or something. I would never forgive myself. She smiled, patted me on the shoulder and said, your right....I will go spray some weeds. I recon if I turned my back she would have had my 066 Magnum buried in timber!!!

Cut some slabs, but hot sure how to treat them to avoid cracking....... anyone got any ideas?

me cutting 1.jpg

me cutting 2.jpg

IMG_1732 (1224 x 1632).jpg

IMG_1733 (1224 x 1632).jpg

IMG_1734 (1632 x 1224).jpg

IMG_1735 (1632 x 1224).jpg

I could only get 2/3 of what I cut in my trailer, but was very glad to see it stacked out the back to dry out further.
Bloody heavy lifting.
I will be going back for the rest, and more :)

IMG_1736 (1632 x 1224).jpg

On a side note, the tree was aged between 200 and 220 years.
Pretty cool thinking I was cutting something up that was blown down in a cyclonic storm earlier this year that started to grow when us white fellas first came to Australia.

I respectfully declined from using the word "Discovered"

Unless someone is an oak/hedge/hickory snob like some on here.
:p :rolleyes: i prefer "connoisseur of fine wood." :rock2: and you forgot locust.:dumb2:

BW/Cherry is similar to the birch/red maple which is the standard of quality firewood for me so I'd take it any day.

And it doesn't smell too bad either ;)
i always have cherry and apple wood on hand for burning around the holidays to make the neighborhood smell good.:yes:

Farmer Steve any luck getting a buck the last two days of rifle season?
no luck.:( saw a total of 6 friday. nothing but a gut pile yesterday. thought i would hear more shooting than what i did. guess the warm weather slowed things up. guess it's late season with the crossbow. nice scrounge BTW.:rock2:

Went to see these logs that I was told were 1 meter round. Yep..... 1 to 1.2 Meters or 4 feet thick, and there is 40 feet of it for the taking.
79 years old, tells me her husband dies last year and apparently she cut up the rest of the tree, and I wouldn't put it past her! Told me she was raised in the north of Western Australia on a massive property and that country is hard!
When I turned up she said, "Oh good, your young and strong...... Do you have a large saw?"
Apparently others had come to look but driven off with their tails between their legs.
Every time I turned around she was videoing me on her phone or trying to help by hitting in wedges. In the end I told her I loved the fact that she wanted to help but I really didn't want to injure her if the saw threw a chain or something. I would never forgive myself. She smiled, patted me on the shoulder and said, your right....I will go spray some weeds. I recon if I turned my back she would have had my 066 Magnum buried in timber!!!

Cut some slabs, but hot sure how to treat them to avoid cracking....... anyone got any ideas?

View attachment 469557

View attachment 469558

View attachment 469559

View attachment 469560

View attachment 469561

View attachment 469562

I could only get 2/3 of what I cut in my trailer, but was very glad to see it stacked out the back to dry out further.
Bloody heavy lifting.

View attachment 469563
Nice scrounge. I've heard that soaking a slab in alcohol for a couple days will displace the water and help it dry uniformly. The rounds seem more prone to splitting than the ripped pieces.

Pretty cool thinking I was cutting something up that was blown down in a cyclonic storm earlier this year that started to grow when us white fellas first came to Australia.

Nice wood there! And the old lady sounds like a hoot! hahaha! You might want to look on the milling forum to see what to do with those ripped slabs.

no luck.:( saw a total of 6 friday. nothing but a gut pile yesterday. thought i would hear more shooting than what i did. guess the warm weather slowed things up. guess it's late season with the crossbow. nice scrounge BTW.:rock2:
Thanks. It's late season for me as well. I can't wait.

How thick are those "cookies"? Amazing how big wood can make an 18 inch round look like a cookie.

View attachment 469557

View attachment 469558

View attachment 469559

View attachment 469560

View attachment 469561

View attachment 469562

Bloody heavy lifting.

View attachment 469563

Great story and pictures. Just need one more, a picture of the old gal running the 066.
As for the crack prevention you might check the wood carving section. I kind of remember guys using glycerin (spelling?) to avoid checking on their carvings.

Well, being stoopid and stuff, I just had to try it! I just gotz to know how far I can push this buggy, and there's only one way to find out. Took the bogger MkI out to the bottom fields that flooded two weeks ago. Got a small load of sycamore "driftwood" that was 150 yds from where it came down and some nice sweetberry. Sort of a muddy adventure coming back out and up the hill. Took three tries backing up and gunning it to get through the boggiest part of the "high ground" I picked through the pasture(the pic with the ruts down in the field), but once through there not bad. I don't think I could have hauled out much more of a load though, not in the trailer, but on the truck, ya, could have. Trailer really makes ya stick pretty good in the mud, not good. Bonus pic is assault ducks happy in their floodpuddle.

Attachments

• IMG_20151213_135344.jpg
    IMG_20151213_135344.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20151213_140854.jpg
    IMG_20151213_140854.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20151213_140909.jpg
    IMG_20151213_140909.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20151213_140919.jpg
    IMG_20151213_140919.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20151213_140926.jpg
    IMG_20151213_140926.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20151213_111315.jpg
    IMG_20151213_111315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
Well, being stoopid and stuff, I just had to try it! I just gotz to know how far I can push this buggy, and there's only one way to find out. Took the bogger MkI out to the bottom fields that flooded two weeks ago. Got a small load of sycamore "driftwood" that was 150 yds from where it came down and some nice sweetberry. Sort of a muddy adventure coming back out and up the hill. Took three tries backing up and gunning it to get through the boggiest part of the "high ground" I picked through the pasture(the pic with the ruts down in the field), but once through there not bad. I don't think I could have hauled out much more of a load though, not in the trailer, but on the truck, ya, could have. Trailer really makes ya stick pretty good in the mud, not good. Bonus pic is assault ducks happy in their floodpuddle.
nice Zogassualt on the scrounge.:rock2:

If you don't want to hassle with an industrial source for PEG, you might try Miralax or similar laxative powder from your local store. It's also polyethylene glycol. Its molecular weight is about 3350. Not sure about the MW of the stuff used for wood turning.

Latest posts

Back