Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There , all done , no more jobs promised to anyone so now as soon as the holidays are over with I can get to scrounging again :)

IMG_20151213_135007.jpg

IMG_20151213_135012.jpg

IMG_20151213_143731.jpg

IMG_20151213_152904.jpg

IMG_20151213_152909.jpg

Scrounge on gentleman !

There , all done , no more jobs promised to anyone so now as soon as the holidays are over with I can get to scrounging again :)

IMG_20151213_135007.jpg

IMG_20151213_135012.jpg

IMG_20151213_143731.jpg

IMG_20151213_152904.jpg

IMG_20151213_152909.jpg

Scrounge on gentleman !
awesome pics dancan. where's the s*#w? :laugh: didn't wanna use a bad word that might get me sent to bannned camp.:laugh:

I'm not scared to say it , no snow here in the Great White North , well at least in my Eastern part of it LOL
But , we might get a taste of it very soon :(

"4:04 PM AST Sunday 13 December 2015
Special weather statement in effect for:

• Halifax Metro and Halifax County West
A mix of snow, ice pellets and rain with strong winds Monday night Tuesday and Tuesday night.

A winter storm will approach the Maritimes from the west late Monday. Occasional light snow is expected Monday afternoon well ahead of the system however the main area of rain will likely reach western Nova Scotia Monday evening and spread to the remainder of the province Tuesday. Freezing rain is likely over the Annapolis valley during the transition. Over northern Nova Scotia precipitation could begin as snow or ice pellets overnight Monday into Tuesday and change to rain later on Tuesday. Strong easterly winds are expected to develop across the entire province. Higher than normal water levels are possible Tuesday night along the Northumberland and Atlantic coasts.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports to #NSStorm."

Yuk .
But , being on the Atlantic coast polly gonna be a wind and rain event ,,,,, I hope .
I filled the woodrack this afternoon , fixed the Bota this morning and the Volvo made me an awesome plowing lane so I's ready :)

Been cutting every weekend for 2 months now. The one issue I had is I couldn't find my chainsaw pants. Found them just before the LAST day of cutting. Of course the wife moved them and didn't know what I meant when I said chainsaw pants.20151213_173548.jpg
This is an 18 inch cut from my 20 inch bar. I wear them as a reminder to pay attention. That was the luckiest day of my life, leg only had a red line like a cat scratch.

How thick are those "cookies"? Amazing how big wood can make an 18 inch round look like a cookie.

If by "cookies" you are referring to the full rounds, they are 12" thick and about 40" round at the skinny end. The big end was about 45" across. The slabs I cut are 2 to 2.5 inches thick
Here is my saw with a 30" bar against 2 matching quarters to show the size.
Edit: I am considering buying a 42" bar

IMG_1737 (1632 x 1224).jpg

Great story and pictures. Just need one more, a picture of the old gal running the 066.

When I am there next I will ask her if she wants a go

If by "cookies" you are referring to the full rounds, they are 12" thick and about 40" round at the skinny end. The big end was about 45" across. The slabs I cut are 2 to 2.5 inches thick
Here is my saw with a 30" bar against 2 matching quarters to show the size.
Edit: I am considering buying a 42" bar

View attachment 469815

When I am there next I will ask her if she wants a go

That would be great. After a day messing with wood and feeling a bit scuffed up that picture would make a guy straighten up and heal up. LOL

Well, being stoopid and stuff, I just had to try it! I just gotz to know how far I can push this buggy, and there's only one way to find out. Took the bogger MkI out to the bottom fields that flooded two weeks ago. Got a small load of sycamore "driftwood" that was 150 yds from where it came down and some nice sweetberry. Sort of a muddy adventure coming back out and up the hill. Took three tries backing up and gunning it to get through the boggiest part of the "high ground" I picked through the pasture(the pic with the ruts down in the field), but once through there not bad. I don't think I could have hauled out much more of a load though, not in the trailer, but on the truck, ya, could have. Trailer really makes ya stick pretty good in the mud, not good. Bonus pic is assault ducks happy in their floodpuddle.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably a duck and where you find a duck a pick-up shant go. LOL

I hear ya, I work in coal power plants or on parts for coal power plants the majority of the time, people just can't appreciate how tough the last 10 years or so have been on the coal industry.

Hang in there partner, hope your stump therapy is just what the doctor ordered!

There are 21% fewer coal miners than 5 years ago.
Therapy is a good word. 6 hours to get the stump out and another hour and a half back filling and clean-up. Sweat, sore body,and breathing deep the fresh air works for me. Thanks.

No snow here in South Eastern Ontario either. Looks like maybe some more seasonable temps and some snow this Saturday.
Lately it's been 13° for daytime highs and only around 5° for overnight lows.
Ate lunch outside today in collingwood. Cool breeze off Georgian bay but a warmer December than I ever recall.

The ground is rapidly turning white as I type this but last night there were worms on the driveway! In mid December! In MN! What!?
We got over 3 inches of rain since Saturday evening and I did find worms in the driveway this morning. This is the middle of December, isn't it?:crazy2:

Cherry coals up very well, and will often have coals remaining long after higher BTU wood is gone.
I burned a mess load of it in a brush pile on Saturday. Some pretty decent sized logs. They burned all day long, and were still glowing bright red when I went to bed. I tossed them on the brush pile because they looked really punky. Turns out they weren't. :dumb2:

Back