Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this one is gonna need some real work. The scoring does not look like bad gas, I think something may have come undone, which means I will have to find out what before it goes back together.

Hey, check your local saw shops, at $85/hr there are a lot of saws that are "not worth fixing". It helps if you can get to know one of them well, like being able to get them firewood when they are short on an order to a customer.

It also helps that outside of tax season, I have the time to do it. You have to go mid morning or mid afternoon on a weekday. They are just too darn busy on the weekends.

Oh for sure check with the shops, I get a lot from my local dealer at discount, customer "no fix" and "no pickup after fixed". I just this second came in from going through one of those, a model 42 husky, doesn't look like it needs much, adjuster keeper thingee, good cleaning, might have a teeny air leak, miniscule, not sure yet, and a whipped chain that I can get a couple/three more sharpenings from. I'll let it sit a few days with some fresh mix in it now after running it for some cuts and see how it does, sometimes just that sitting seems to rejuvenate seals and do-dads in the carb.

LOL - - wow, I've been away too long - this could qualify as an entirely new thread!

Never confuse a bidet with a sink for short people.
Honey, please pass the towel, I just washed my face in the odd smelling sprinkler sink :confused:
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

We would do that if we spent more time there in the winter.

At my buddy's shack they keep the seat inside and take it out with them each time. To me that's disgusting.

That's how I did it when I lived in maine, kept it leaning up on the wall behind the stove. Of course, just me using it so..I never thought of it as disgusting, just "warm".

fixed!!!
images

I remember when I was between 5 to 8 years old we would visit one set of grandparents that had a cookstove burning in the summer for cooking and making hot water , water was supplied by a hand pump , a wringer washer on the porch to do laundry , a 2 holer in a large shed attached to the side of the house that also stored all the firewood which was stacked in perfectly straight rows because my grandfather had a connection at a local lumber mill so all the wood he scrounged was precut to 12" LOL
"Look out for the monster that lives down there in the 2 holer , he might come up and get you !!!!"
Scarred for life LOL

And I never said anything about having a kettle of hotwater to melt the spike in the winter.
Just mentioned that the Beavers had put a plug in the brook and if we get a spring rush, I may lose the outhouse.
Don't blame me for side tracking this thread. this time.

Somewhere.
On the Internet.
I believe.
There exists a thread.
That discusses firewood.
Or, perhaps,
A man can dream of such a place . . .

Philbert

Was feeling low energy and not that great, so I went out in -5 C below weather and did 5 hours hard labour - feel flippin fantastic now - funny how that works eh :D

Today's Scrounge of nice Maple - about 2 cords worth of the good stuff . . .
Dec-scrounge3.jpg
Dec-scrounge2.jpg

Attachments

• Dec-scrounge1.jpg
    Dec-scrounge1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 18
Somewhere.
On the Internet.
I believe.
There exists a thread.
That discusses firewood.
Or, perhaps,
A man can dream of such a place . . .

Philbert
i split a bin of "snob wood" hickory today and going to look at a hoosky 576XP tomorrow at a public auction. hows that for some farwoodin speak ? happy new year Philbert.:chop:

'Snob wood' as in high end/quality stuff, or is this a special type of hickory?

Philbert

Happy New Year to you too!
just the high end stuff. i hoard it all for myself and don't ever sell it. long burn times and a great bed of coals,mostly shagbark but some pignut too.

Latest posts

Back