Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice photos. But i don't think that that trailer is heavy duty enough to serve as a practical log arch. Look at how your 3-point bent. Better to start with a heavier axle and keep the trailer IMHO.

Philbert
Thanks.
I agree.
That's why I said,
"I also have this 3-point attachment I bent skidding a nice sized red oak top with most of the branches still attached(won't do that with it again:dumb2::lol:). As I look at my own pictures I'm getting the thought that I could build sides for the trailer and use the attachment to build a log arch. All it needs is the middle section taken out and use the part where the arms would attach for the wheel mounting points. Cut out in between and I could essentially build the arch in the video. Thanks for all the advice guys:laugh:.",
you may not have seen this in between the last two pictures, or maybe I didn't explain well.
I meant not using the trailer at all, but using the implement as the structure for the arch and mounting wheels where the 3-point arms would have mounted.
The main problem as far as why the attachment bent was my misuse of it. I was pulling a large top with all the branches attached and jerking it around another tree putting pressure on the top piece from an angle it was never designed for. I had done a lot of skidding with it and never had a problem with straight pulls bending anything even with the front end of the tractor hanging off the ground (with the loader and bucket on:surprised3:). I knew better and went outside my own good judgement, it may have been a sub conscious decision I was making because I wanted buy the winch:dancing:, I knew that thing wouldn't hold up now I have to buy the winch lol. Even with the proper tool you need to make straight pulls, anyone have a redirect set-up with quick release they want to sell before I tip my tractor over to prove to myself I need one:dizzy:.

I will mess with the attacment at a later date as it's not a high priority, but I like having options:).

Why would this be a problem?
If the snow gets packed down you lose significant insulation and lines can freeze.

Our system only freezes from lack of use. The only problem point is where the main line comes out of the building under about 12" of dirt as it goes into the tank....if you don't use it enough it slowly closes down until it closes off. Regular use keeps it open just fine.

If the snow gets packed down you lose significant insulation and lines can freeze.

Our system only freezes from lack of use. The only problem point is where the main line comes out of the building under about 12" of dirt as it goes into the tank....if you don't use it enough it slowly closes down until it closes off. Regular use keeps it open just fine.
I'm still alive, I learned something today:). I know traffic and heavy loads can drive frost deeper.
What is the frost depth there in regards to construction. Here it is 42".

I'm still alive, I learned something today:). I know traffic and heavy loads can drive frost deeper.
What is the frost depth there in regards to construction. Here it is 42".
I have no idea about that...

When mound systems first came out everyone would cover them with straw. Nobody I know does this any more except for folks limping along an old non-compliant system. Straw is a huge mess to clean up come spring.

I have no idea about that...

When mound systems first came out everyone would cover them with straw. Nobody I know does this any more except for folks limping along an old non-compliant system. Straw is a huge mess to clean up come spring.
Got it.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/landscaping/implement/deck_footings.html
Taken from the link:
"In Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, footings are required by code to be between 54 and 60 inches deep."
Southern MN is 54", and northern is 60".
This part is is good LOL.
When building an outdoor structure, one must be patient digging postholes for the footings. If the soil is compacted, hard, or full of rocks, you may want to use a power auger to dig the holes. Don't be surprised if the project takes time. I found this funny.

Where are you seeing Miller Lite? I can't stand that stuff!

Glad ya don't drink Miller lite, my bad

I was wondering what happened when I saw this picture, now I get it:cheers:.
I fixed the post for you svk.
Mod in training(just tell me if I did it properly svk).

Nice scrounge husqvarna257. It is sunday, but we need don't take anything by faith in the scrounge thread, no pictures it didn't happen
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Also you know that the oils from poison Ivy can stay on clothing and whatnot for up to two yrs:surprised3:.

I am a technophobe, I am not sure how to get a URL image. I have photobucket but I can't figure out how to get a jpg to a URL . I am aware of poison Ivey and it's tricks, I can get it from my wife's cat or the dogs. I try to avoid it but if a scrounge is to good I just wash up well with dish detergent and wash the clothes on hot.

I am a technophobe, I am not sure how to get a URL image. I have photobucket but I can't figure out how to get a jpg to a URL . I am aware of poison Ivey and it's tricks, I can get it from my wife's cat or the dogs. I try to avoid it but if a scrounge is to good I just wash up well with dish detergent and wash the clothes on hot.
Just find a teenager to give you a hand, or even a 6yr old depending on the kid lol.
Sometimes it can be easier on a phone or other device rather than a computer to grab a photo. When on photo bucket there are buttons you can select to get the link to a picture which will embed it into your post when you paste it in. If they allow that here, I don't use photo bucket anymore since I can't imbed images to craigslist anymore.
It's hardto resist a good scrounge even when its sitting right in the middle of some poison ivy :cheers:.

Getting a few inches of new insulation installed tonight :lol:.
They are calling for another 3-6, it's beginning to look a lot like winter:guitar::innocent:everywhere you go:happy:.

On Photobucket go to the image you want to display and select the IMG link and copy it. Then just come here and paste it in as so much text. It will look like the picture is right here like this one.

If you right click that picture and go to the image info you can see where the picture is actually stored and a few other things about it.

On Photobucket go to the image you want to display and select the IMG link and copy it. Then just come here and paste it in as so much text. It will look like the picture is right here like this one.

If you right click that picture and go to the image info you can see where the picture is actually stored and a few other things about it.
Very nice job Oldman47.
You must have grandkids:).

I'm not sure, but with some of my grandkids out of college I could have great grandkids any day. There is one grand daughter I have not heard from in over a year. She was at the 2014 X-mas get together but is now living out of state. I was an "early adopter" when it came to the internet so I actually learned a lot before my grandkids even had access to a PC.

Got my new quad skidder almost done.
Not really, just put a couple tires on it so it may make it more apparent what I was thinking. Just cut out the round tube in between the tires also some of the main tube that goes up add a few braces, thats what I was thinking.
I also have another trailer that has a heavier axle I could use. I could use both the attachment and this little trailer to build it.20160112_110134.jpg20160112_105936.jpg20160112_105925.jpg

Got my new quad skidder almost done.
Not really, just put a couple tires on it so it may make it more apparent what I was thinking. Just cut out the round tube in between the tires also some of the main tube that goes up add a few braces, thats what I was thinking.
I also have another trailer that has a heavier axle I could use. I could use both the attachment and this little trailer to build it.View attachment 478141View attachment 478142View attachment 478143
Wait, you have your choice of coffee in your signature? I guess I need to update mine to include drink of choice! :)

I wish I had a few days off to stockpile some more wood. Cool temps plus light snow equal great traveling in the woods now that the ground is frozen (woods was still mush up to Christmas day).

After my tree service scrounge is complete I will have about 2 cords split on the landing, close to 5 1/2 cords in rounds in two landings, 2 cords full length on the ground in the woodlot, and 1/2 cord CSS and hidden in the hunting woods. Then it's time to start scrounging blowdown oak and bug killed birch!

I got the MAC eager beaver 2.0 my dad dropped off as a donor running. It only need new premix, a starter rope, some premix right into the carb, and some finesse with the manual oil pump to get it working again. My dad said the oil pump was broken for years. It just had a clog. The chain is in some cleaner in the basement to get ready for the grinder.

Wait, you have your choice of coffee in your signature? I guess I need to update mine to include drink of choice! :)
It's a new site feature. You just need to be in the coffee drinkers club lol.
Part of the official rules( since I know you like them) states you can not use one another member is using:drinkingcoffee:.

I'm not sure, but with some of my grandkids out of college I could have great grandkids any day. There is one grand daughter I have not heard from in over a year. She was at the 2014 X-mas get together but is now living out of state. I was an "early adopter" when it came to the internet so I actually learned a lot before my grandkids even had access to a PC.
That's awesome.
My 21yr old just made me a grandpa this yr, first one:).

Back