Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I won my auction on flea bay. I couldn't save just the photo on my phone so I had to screen shot it. I don't think I did too bad. I was willing to give 20 for it.

I feel it will be perfect for my use. I couldn't pass it up due to the large choppers. Someone is selling a NOS for 50 bucks I think...and he's sold 4 of them.

I REALLY wish there were more folding saws with the Woodzig style blade instead of the Sierra saw style. Just old guy rambling out loud.

Well, I won my auction on flea bay. I couldn't save just the photo on my phone so I had to screen shot it. I don't think I did too bad. I was willing to give 20 for it.

I feel it will be perfect for my use. I couldn't pass it up due to the large choppers. Someone is selling a NOS for 50 bucks I think...and he's sold 4 of them.

I REALLY wish there were more folding saws with the Woodzig style blade instead of the Sierra saw style. Just old guy rambling out loud.

That is pretty cool!

Now it needs knife mods....automatic..click..BADAZZ

Hey, my new scrounging trailer. Something small & light that I can use to drag logs with the ATV to where I want to cut and split them.

I wanted it to be easily portable instead of indestructible. It is not for the real big stuff, just for the bulk of what I need to move.

I dragged these out with a 4 wheeler. Just used a heavy rope tied fairly close so it lifted when moving forward. Worked like a champ. That would probably work better for really heavy logs. We cut these to about 6ft.

Attachments

• 20160109_161856small.jpg
    20160109_161856small.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 49
I dragged these out with a 4 wheeler. Just used a heavy rope tied fairly close so it lifted when moving forward. Worked like a champ. That would probably work better for really heavy logs. We cut these to about 6ft.
Dinner at Sheetz sounds like a winner after a day of scrounging too.

Nice load, and a great looking trailer.
Do you burn a lot down there.

I was thinking the same thing lol.
I was also seeing some nice straight poles that would be easy picking in the background:surprised3::chainsaw:.

Right up on the deck, they's fearless. They won't be quite so "friendly" come huntin' season.;)
Those things are like vultures.
I have threatened to make a deer call. It would consist of a spinner that made a sound just like an automated feeder. All you would need to do is give it a spin every 20min and in come the deer :givebeer: I share:cheers:.

Each day my Facebook has the flashback events of things I've posted in the past. Here's one of some true scroungers.

View attachment 477801
I think they look like a great scrounge load, how many you think it would take to make a full cord, they look nice and plump(lots of bird food:)).

Actually that was dinner for my FJ I ate kielbasa fried in a little bacon grease when I got home. Sheetz is pretty good too though.

Nice load, and a great looking trailer.
Do you burn a lot down there.

Thanks it was needed since I don't have a truck. It's a great trailer and I love the high sides. I burn quite a bit because my house is poorly insulated and can be a challenge to keep warm. We don't get the crazy temps but a few days last week saw 10 degree's and last year we had several stretches like that. I just put the stove in this year and it's been awesome. With our normal night temps 30-40 it easily keeps the house in the high 60's to low 70's and during the day just throwing a few splits in does the trick. Over the last few weeks I have probably burned a face cord or so.

That's a pretty nice one. I've seen many, but I don't remember that one.

When we were talking a while ago about our yard/quad trailers the "protection structures" in front of the wheels is what I was saying I would like to build.
After seeing the video and the skidder mustangmike made, I think I may try to modify my quad trailer so I can remove the bed and convert it over to a skidder using some of these ideas. They didn't have a torch, and sawsall so these guys will have to do :blob2::chainsaw:.
I'll take some pics of the quad trailer in a few(gotta haul some wood into the house) and you guys can tell me what you think/throw some ideas out there.
As promised heres the pictures.20160110_172032.jpg20160110_172156.jpg20160110_172327.jpg
I also have this 3-point attachment I bent skidding a nice sized red oak top with most of the branches still attached(won't do that with it again:dumb2::lol:). As I look at my own pictures I'm getting the thought that I could build sides for the trailer and use the attachment to build a log arch. All it needs is the middle section taken out and use the part where the arms would attach for the wheel mounting points. Cut out in between and I could essentially build the arch in the video. Thanks for all the advice guys:laugh:.
20150820_182056.jpg

It took some convincing to get them to come up on the deck! I started with a bowl of food on the steps then a little further back each night.
Now the decision, which tool to use to harvest them, the Fiskars, or the folding knife.
Should be easy to put in the quad trailer without even lifting, the deck will serve as a splitting bench of sorts, just drag it right on to the trailer and haul them off to be processed:chop::chainsaw::yes:.

I'm getting the thought that I could build sides for the trailer and use the attachment to build a log arch.
Nice photos. But i don't think that that trailer is heavy duty enough to serve as a practical log arch. Look at how your 3-point bent. Better to start with a heavier axle and keep the trailer IMHO.

Philbert

Back