Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A day of scrounging but not for firewood.

Long story short, my mom (who I have a strained relationship with due to her mental health issues) moved out of her home several months ago into senior living, was unable to stay there so is now in assisted living. We have a buyer for the house and they have agreed to take it "as is". I have to get everything of intrinsic value out of the house prior to closing. I also am taking care of old paperwork because honestly it's none of the buyer's business what she has/had going on. My MIL (who generously volunteered to help) and I spent the day packing up my mom's extra clothes to donate, cleaning out drawers and cupboards, etc. I've come across some stuff that I literally haven't seen in 25+ years. We've taken two suburban loads of stuff out so far plus well over a heaping pickup load of trash piled as well. It's good that the house will be going to a young family who will give it the TLC it needs (house was built in 1912) and except for my moms poor taste in wallpaper is a very elegant place. It's nice to get in there and finally get my grandparents and great-grandparents stuff put away safely as the house has been uninhabited for months.

There is close to a cord of BONE DRY birch in the basement but would take way too much monkey business to extract. I may have to light up one last fire in the fireplace for old times sake.

image.jpeg

Long story short, my mom (who I have a strained relationship with due to her mental health issues) moved out of her home several months ago into senior living, was unable to stay there so is now in assisted living. We have a buyer for the house and they have agreed to take it "as is". I have to get everything of intrinsic value out of the house prior to closing. I also am taking care of old paperwork because honestly it's none of the buyer's business what she has/had going on. My MIL (who generously volunteered to help) and I spent the day packing up my mom's extra clothes to donate, cleaning out drawers and cupboards, etc. I've come across some stuff that I literally haven't seen in 25+ years. We've taken two suburban loads of stuff out so far plus well over a heaping pickup load of trash piled as well. It's good that the house will be going to a young family who will give it the TLC it needs (house was built in 1912) and except for my moms poor taste in wallpaper is a very elegant place. It's nice to get in there and finally get my grandparents and great-grandparents stuff put away safely as the house has been uninhabited for months.

There is close to a cord of BONE DRY birch in the basement but would take way too much monkey business to extract. I may have to light up one last fire in the fireplace for old times sake.

View attachment 484249

>(house was built in 1912)

great fireplace pix! and in such good condition, too. :) I assume built with the house? can just imagine the many, many times the fireplace has held a fire in it... season after season... and despite all the changes in technology and electronics over the years... still, a fireplace is a fireplace... and one design still reigns KING!!!!!! and your mom's is a fine example. really like the mantel. is that original, too? and I assume has an ash pit door on outside?... when was the last time you remember sitting in front of a warm cozy fire there?....

>(house was built in 1912)

great fireplace pix! and in such good condition, too. :) I assume built with the house? can just imagine the many, many times the fireplace has held a fire in it... season after season... and despite all the changes in technology and electronics over the years... still, a fireplace is a fireplace... and one design still reigns KING!!!!!! and your mom's is a fine example. really like the mantel. is that original, too? and I assume has an ash pit door on outside?... when was the last time you remember sitting in front of a warm cozy fire there?....
Because it threw out so much heat we'd only have a few fires a year. Christmas Eve, winter birthdays, and a few others. Once you get the fire going good it absolutely rips as the house has three stories above ground so the chimney is pretty tall.

There's an ash clean out in the basement but we normally just scooped it out of the fireplace.

My son is always buying and selling stuff, I think he gets it from his mother. He came home with a kids saw yesterday. I had to sharpen it but it started right up and I cut a couple of pieces of ash just to make sure it works. It cuts just a little faster than my Grandson's saw.
IMG_20160206_170851.jpg IMG_20160206_170838.jpg

My son is always buying and selling stuff, I think he gets it from his mother. He came home with a kids saw yesterday. I had to sharpen it but it started right up and I cut a couple of pieces of ash just to make sure it works. It cuts just a little faster than my Grandson's saw.
View attachment 484324 View attachment 484325
I like it, it would make a great limbing saw. Nice how you are planting the scrounge seed young.

View attachment 484249

> I may have to light up one last fire in the fireplace for old times sake.

svk, if you do, please post up a pix or two of the fireplace in action. I am sure a pix of the cord of birch wouldn't offend anyone, nither... :)of course, if u do fire it up, u will have to clean it again, pretty clean as we speak... :yes:

:drinkingcoffee:

svk, if you do, please post up a pix or two of the fireplace in action. I am sure a pix of the cord of birch wouldn't offend anyone, nither... :)of course, if u do fire it up, u will have to clean it again, pretty clean as we speak... :yes:

:drinkingcoffee:
Once I get the junk off the pile I'll post up.

I have to get everything of intrinsic value out of the house prior to closing.

View attachment 484249
What I heard in the post, great to see some of mom/dads stuff, even though she has bad taste, I love her:heart:.
I have an awesome MIL as well:)
The fireplace has such great sentimental value we are still trying to figure out how to fit it in the Suburban:picture:

svk, if you do, please post up a pix or two of the fireplace in action. I am sure a pix of the cord of birch burning wouldn't offend anyone, neither... :)of course, if u do fire it up, u won't have to clean it again, as bone dry birch burns pretty clean so to speak... :yes:
Maybe I'm not understanding every one today, fixed it BL:laughing:
Once I get the junk off the pile I'll burn the cord up.

good pic... I would say " an arborist in the making!" but... I say, but... it's quite clear, saw in hand, that your grandson is already one! :)

:laughing:

It's a good thing to start them out with a Stihl, that way they are more prepared for a real saw:laugh:
When I was using the 441 to cut that ash I was thinking a Husky would probably cut a little faster:chainsaw: I should have brought the 575, but the Stihl has much better anti-vibe, much like your grandsons saw vs the Husky:laughing:
What a cutie, I'm sure when he's ready for a saw he will have the coolest saw available at the time with a grandpa and dad like his, lucky little guy:clap:.
Maybe you could put the saw in the crate the snowmobile is in, he can have his own little man/boy cave:yes:

Scrounged up about half the cherry I will need for the year to feed my smoker. Got it split and stacked on its own rack.

View attachment 484133

View attachment 484134

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I love the background and the setup, looks like a great location. What river is that.
good pix, I like how u set up your bottom rungs... good idea! :)
I thought the exact same thing.
I could have got a bunch of those off craigslist last yr for $2 each, I thought I would find a use for them, now I did:(.
I'm still learning, laughing and loving, I must still be alive:).

It is just a little local creek that is wide here behind my barn. Funny thing is we are in the middle town. House is in town and the barn is out. My drive goes right beside my house to the barn. It is about a 200 yard drive way.

We like it. The oaks behind the barn are massive.

That's awesome ! Lolimage.jpegmy son seems to think his new saw is part of the family:rolleyes:

It is just a little local creek that is wide here behind my barn. Funny thing is we are in the middle town. House is in town and the barn is out. My drive goes right beside my house to the barn. It is about a 200 yard drive way.

We like it. The oaks behind the barn are massive.

sounds nice... massive oaks! :) we got them here, too... that's why, for me... scrounging firewood is so user-friendly. well, sourcing! lol not sure i saw the creek, will ck. is that where you live: beentown? just wondering...

That's awesome ! LolView attachment 484369my son seems to think his new saw is part of the family:rolleyes:

omg! well... even if it's not... the dog sure knows he is!!! lol but have to admit... my 044 saw mods will at times make it inside, but... I think I would be pushing it a bit too far to invite u know who... to sit with me on the couch... to check out a new saw! nawwww't gunna happen! lol :crazy2:

>Maybe I'm not understanding every one today, fixed it BL:laughing:

oic, me, too:

Maybe I'm not understanding everyone today, fixed it BL.

:laughing: j/k! ....

ps: that would be one way to get rid of the cord of Birch...
That's funny, I Can't Ceeeeeeeeeee.
Hey cut :chainsaw:that out:crazy2:
I was talking about you each, not everyone generally speaking, doesn't that work there:reading:

Latest posts

Back