Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 365 likes to gather noodles under the clutch cover. It will clear itself with a piss-rev and shoots noodles everywhere! The poulan while slower, never clogs up.
I just tuned my husky, it was a little lean on both the low and high. Plug was a little on the light side and it wouldn't idle well and after running under load, it took a while to return to idle. I think I got it running pretty good now. And it's wearing a new chisel chain. They're good saws.
Mine didn't accumulate noodles unless until it got close to the ground. A piss rev and it cleared the noodles out. This may be different with other wood but this cherry noodled nice.

My stihl clogs up and locks up the sprocket and the chain won't spin. I have to take the clutch cover off to clear it out.

This was the first time I worked this saw so it was fun. I tuned it when I got it and put it away. It was warm then around 70* and 35* today and it ran well. It was a touch leaner than I would like based on the plug. An 1/16-1/8 a turn was all it took to put a little more color on the plug. I think it was a little lean due to the temp change. But I was no where near the danger zone just a little leaner than I wanted. It ran really well and I am a happy boy.

Scrounged up a nice Windsor speed tip 20" bar for the new saw over in the trading post.

Now I just need a "pretty" bar for the 550 and we are good to go. At the rate the current pro lite is wearing down it won't be long until I am getting a different one anyhow.

Terry Landrum, wicked work saw, carries total super bars at very good prices. Pretty and tough.

Hard to tell. I tore it apart for a post mortem, and it looks like air got past the crank seal, which doesn't do good things.
Boooo that's not good at all. As much as I want to ask how much for the project saw, it's probably more than I want to spend on my first project. Plus I don't know if I have the know how to replace a crank seal.

Made a few noodles today with the 365xt. I gotta say that was fun. No clutch cover clog ups. I really liked the saw. I think it is darn near right on from a tuning perspective. Ok it's close. I need to run it a little more and check the plug but it looked like a happy saw in the cold today. Ok... Ok... I really loved running a big saw to noodle. I may be a husky guy now...
1 of three loads trips I made to get the wood to the wood pile.

9a95ff949c283322c263658d9711fcd5.jpg
Sounds like fun, the least you could do is put the stihl down the list a little farther:laugh:
It is fun to make a bunch of noodles for sure, regardless of the brand of saw;).

Boooo that's not good at all. As much as I want to ask how much for the project saw, it's probably more than I want to spend on my first project. Plus I don't know if I have the know how to replace a crank seal.

The MS310 is a clamshell, so rebuilding the crank is easier (I guess). But, my wife thought our money was better spent on an upgrade, and I wasn't about to argue. :)

I got the ash tree I scrounged up Saturday all split up today/tonight, no buyers looking right this minute.
My daughter stopped by with my granddaughter for me to look at her car so I had a very extended break from splitting.
My boy was out helping and he got a little tired, wait til I show him his picture on here tomorrow:badpc:. I bet he tries to deny he fell asleep, he usually says he was just resting, sounds like his grandfather:laugh:
He deserves a break, the kid works his tail off. If he says he doesn't want to help with something I don't normally question it since it's the exception to the rule.
Hope you guys are "sawing logs" too:lol:(he likes this emoticon)1454986158727.jpg
Here's how the wood pile is staking up,
and the splitter I picked up this week.
Hoping it will be sold by the end of the week, this cold snap may get some people moving.20160208_221951.jpg

hahaha! Well, it's not really plumb and square, all those old tables got the wiggles and sags to them, but it is sorta almost ready. It's all shimmed almost level, a bit more to go, then I will cut in and tap in 6x6 and 4x4 scrap blocks I have to stabilize it. trying to get by with a good enough structure that won't incur additional taxes, I think this will fly around here like those "portable" backyard sheds and carports.

Those things are heavy! The long ones are 6x16, I hand drug them down and heaved them up and tacked it together using those spiked mending plate things and a few recycled nails. I am still tacking as I am making it, need another load of new 2x4s for the important pieces, once tacked, I have a big box of exterior screws to use, I'll go around and any place I see to make it stronger will get a screw.. I want it pretty solid before I use the loader and forks to put the roof on. The overhang I will wait until the main roof is on. It isn't real pretty carpentry, but good enough I think, making use of a heap of tables that were just sitting around in the weeds.

>I'll go around and any place I see to make it stronger will get a screw.. I want it pretty solid before I use the loader and forks to put the roof on.

I like using wood glue, water proof type III for projects like that. then u get mechanical and chemical bonding... sets up add'l rigidity... course has to be wood to wood

I got the ash tree I scrounged up Saturday all split up today/tonight, no buyers looking right this minute.
My daughter stopped by with my granddaughter for me to look at her car so I had a very extended break from splitting.
My boy was out helping and he got a little tired, wait til I show him his picture on here tomorrow:badpc:. I bet he tries to deny he fell asleep, he usually says he was just resting, sounds like his grandfather:laugh:
He deserves a break, the kid works his tail off. If he says he doesn't want to help with something I don't normally question it since it's the exception to the rule.
Hope you guys are "sawing logs" too:lol:(he likes this emoticon)View attachment 484720
Here's how the wood pile is staking up,
and the splitter I picked up this week.
Hoping it will be sold by the end of the week, this cold snap may get some people moving.View attachment 484730

you mean that almost too worried it will roll down hill, tree truck, u trailered up is that pile of split sitx? by splitter? wow... that is impressive! good for you! lots of wood, how much do u think... close to 150 cords!? ;) lol

you mean that almost too worried it will roll down hill, tree truck, u trailered up is that pile of split sitx? by splitter? wow... that is impressive! good for you! lots of wood, how much do u think... close to 150 cords!? ;) lol
That's the one, but I wasn't to "worried", but certainly want to be safe, don't think I lost any sleep over that one though:cool:.
"by splitter?", for sure this was the hardest ash I've ever worked with. I enjoy hand splitting, but I also like to keep my trailers cleared off, so when they are full I normally use a hydro splitter. It's also easier to just lift the big pieces from the trailer to the splitter, one time less of bending all the way to the ground. When doing a tree or two around the house I hand split unless I have a splitter I just bought then I will use it so I can tell people that it actually works. One time I cut a tree down because the guy said he wanted to see it work, after the first couple pieces he said "that's good, you can stop", I told him it's not good for me til the job is finished and he left with the splitter a half hr later:happybanana:. I've done the same thing with saws:happybanana:.
I'm pretty sure between the load I sold and this on it was 2-2.5 cords, but I split it small so it should come out somewhere near 150 cordso_O:crazy2::guitar::dancing::happy::laughing:

Sounds like fun, the least you could do is put the stihl down the list a little farther:laugh:
It is fun to make a bunch of noodles for sure, regardless of the brand of saw;).

Ehhh saws are listed roughly in order of acquiring them. I still have a soft spot for the 271 even though I dont run it that often. It was my first saw.

That's the one, but I wasn't to "worried", but certainly want to be safe, don't think I lost any sleep over that one though:cool:.
"by splitter?", for sure this was the hardest ash I've ever worked with. I enjoy hand splitting, but I also like to keep my trailers cleared off, so when they are full I normally use a hydro splitter. It's also easier to just lift the big pieces from the trailer to the splitter, one time less of bending all the way to the ground. When doing a tree or two around the house I hand split unless I have a splitter I just bought then I will use it so I can tell people that it actually works. One time I cut a tree down because the guy said he wanted to see it work, after the first couple pieces he said "that's good, you can stop", I told him it's not good for me til the job is finished and he left with the splitter a half hr later:happybanana:. I've done the same thing with saws:happybanana:.
I'm pretty sure between the load I sold and this on it was 2-2.5 cords, but I split it small so it should come out somewhere near 150 cordso_O:crazy2::guitar::dancing::happy::laughing:

150! super! I noted u have some fine trailers! :) the pix of 2 with splitters on them reminded me of skeet release arms... but size-wise made me think the shotguns mite odda need to be howetzers! lol...

great firewood tale. just like out of Hollywood... suspense, action, intrigue, good cast of actors... awesome story ending... and super screenplay script!

imo, George Lucas would be proud of you... as you told a great story ! title could be: Stix Wars - The AS Universe Responds

:)

150! super! I noted u have some fine trailers! :) the pix of 2 with splitters on them reminded me of skeet release arms... but size-wise made me think the shotguns mite odda need to be howetzers! lol...

great firewood tale. just like out of Hollywood... suspense, action, intrigue, good cast of actors... awesome story ending... and super screenplay script!

imo, George Lucas would be proud of you... as you told a great story ! title could be: Stix Wars - The AS Universe Responds

:)
Thanks.
I like skeet, had my own reloader @ 14 LOL.
I also like this 12ga, can you say pull:surprised3:

Not sure about the story part, just another day at the Black Compound:D
We need a few of the AA-12's to go with the splitters/howetzers:happybanana:

Ehhh saws are listed roughly in order of acquiring them. I still have a soft spot for the 271 even though I dont run it that often. It was my first saw.
Did your wife buy that for you also, I think I remember that as well, now that you say you have a soft spot for it.
I would in that case put it in orange or bold with a little heart behind it:).
Stihl MS271
or
Stihl MS271 :heart:

Did your wife buy that for you also, I think I remember that as well, now that you say you have a soft spot for it.
I would in that case put it in orange or bold with a little heart behind it:).
Stihl MS271
or
Stihl MS271 :heart:

like this chipper.
STIHL MS 271 :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

like this chipper.
STIHL MS 271 :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:
You know I'm only being kind about the whole stihl thing because I think his wife got it for him.
I do have a reputation I have to keep about going against the grain, but not at the cost off going against the wives, that's a cost I can't afford:envy:.

You know I'm only being kind about the whole stihl thing because I think his wife got it for him.
I do have a reputation I have to keep about going against the grain, but not at the cost off going against the wives, that's a cost I can't afford:envy:.
same here.;)

Latest posts

Back