Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting little saw, a bit of a sleeper. I think mostly because it is overshadowed by the almost legendary 026. My brother's only saw is a o24 and it is seldom used. He called a couple weeks ago and told me he is removing a triple stem maple (silver I think) that is showing failure and one part will fall on his garage. He had already dropped the easiest stem and bucked it to firewood size. Free wood so I go there with my trailer. That sucker is 27" DBH. He said it was a little slow cutting the 10' long, large diameter section. Ya think! At first I was a little embarrassed to tell him I would have dropped and chunked it with a 460. Wet and HEAVY stuff and a twist in the grain. Fun noodling though.
Those big silver trunks are virtually unsplittable when they get twisted like that! Noodle or hydro only!

Those big silver trunks are virtually unsplittable when they get twisted like that! Noodle or hydro only!

Thanks for the confirmation. I have only infrequent experience with silver maple and none this size. I saw the twist immediately and didn't even try them with a maul or wedges. They sure hold a lot of water also. CSS in spring and burn in first winter?

Beautiful day here fellas...had to take my daughter to a Dr's appt, took off at lunchtime. Everything here is gettin' yellow with the nemesis pollen. It kills me, wears my sinuses out. We're gonna fry about 15 crappie, do some hush puppies, fries, and a little pot of cheese grits. Quality time at its best. You fellers enjoys your day.

I mount grinders on pieces of 3/4" plywood, and clamp them to the worksuface - might be my work bench, a picnic table, etc. Some guys mount theirs on a cleat, and hold the cleat in a vice. Thought about drilling holes in my wood bases, and mounting them temporarily to the bench with long bolts and wing nuts. But this is the first time I have seen this design.

Copied it over to this thread, for reference: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...mprovements-tweaks.197073/page-7#post-5791411

Hope that is OK.

Philbert
Thanks Philbert.
It works quite well, and if it helps someone out that's even better.
I will be shortening the 2x4's once I figure out where I like the grinder and using the pieces I cut off to strengthen the "rub rail" this will help take out the slight flex in the 2x4 on the outside(rub rail). As it is I just held a 2x4 in between the bench and the rub rail and put a screw in to adjust the gap. I will post some pictures when I finally do it:picture:. I have some mods to make to the grinder itself that I will also post over there.
Here's another thread that has a few tips for grinding rakers.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/anybody-grind-their-rakers-like-this.293770/

It's OK that you put it over there, I have read that thread a couple times myself.
I watched the videos you posted and found the one on the setup helpful as my new grinder was not centered so I found myself having to move the chain stop when going from right to left cutters to make them equal length, not acceptable on a grinder that claims to self center. I was going to look it up in the manual, but the video explained it and showed it, not need to now:).
Hopefully I can find a deal on a Silvey and make all the little grinders go bye :hi:.

Mike what do you use for square grinding.

All you fellas gotta do is show up...we'll eat a fine fish fry and go catch the same. The slab crappie are one thing, the bream are the go-getters...when you can fill 2-4, 48-50 qt coolers, cain't even find room for ice. It's a helluva time guys. I'm talkin' as soon as the cork hits the water, it dont even get a chance to straighten up, settle upright...it gets sucked down that quick.

I don't have any young kids, nieces/nephews any more...you talk about about fun watching those guys and gals catching fish when they were so much younger. Ain't a thing on this planet can replace those days. My 17 yr old daughter still goes fishin' with the ol' man every chance she gets. My best fishin' buddy, my son who is 24, is in the Navy, stationed in San Diego, aboard the Carl Vinson aircraft carrier. Fellas...he and I could wear'em out. We'll do it again one day soon. My baby girl heads to college this fall...about a 3 hour drive from home. We gonna get our share of the fish fellas...I guarantee it. She'll have it no other way.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well USMC, I sure wish I was fishing with you today.... Raining all damn day here in central IN.... Well In case anyone was questioning my chainsaw and wood cutting addiction, yes I have been cutting in it all day lol.....I am actually a "scrounger" all the time I just lucked into the logging job because I have a good reputation around led here for taking care of people land.....am I crazy for cutting all day in the rain, possibly, but when I get a whole day alone I have to capitalize while I can....already got 3 loads, and these have been at my "scrounging" spots not the logging spot.... I have luckily been able to get most of the wood today by cutting and rolling, or throwing the wood to the truck which I leave parked on the country road.... Anyway here are some picks, and yes the ol trusty f250s 4x4 is getting a work out today LMAO....

View attachment 491954 View attachment 491953 View attachment 491952 Well USMC, I sure wish I was fishing with you today.... Raining all damn day here in central IN.... Well In case anyone was questioning my chainsaw and wood cutting addiction, yes I have been cutting in it all day lol....am I crazy, possibly, but when I get a whole day alone I have to capitalize while I can....already got 3 loads, and these have been at my "scrounging" spots not the logging spot.... I have luckily been able to get most of the wood today by cutting and rolling, or throwing the wood to the truck which I leave parked on the country road.... Anyway here are some picks, and yes the ol trusty f250s 4x4 is getting a work out today LMAO....
Nice, my man. Good on you.

Me too, bring your rifles as we are going hog hunting also!
The wild hog huntin'...they're a dime a dozen. After the first shot, they scatter, then come right back to the scene of the crime. Shootin' fish in a barrel, brother, would be an understatement. They're just pigs....

They ain't nothin'...the sows and the the little ones, they're a gimmee. The old boys are the ones you want. They hang back like bucks, in the wood line...well before makin' their way into the fields or open ground. The boars ain't stupid...but sometimes they get caught up in wrong crosshairs. He was just shy of 500 lbs....
image.jpeg

The wild hog huntin'...they're a dime a dozen. After the first shot, they scatter, then come right back to the scene of the crime. Shootin' fish in a barrel, brother, would be an understatement. They're just pigs....

I really need to get down there and do some hog huntin'. Sounds like a lot of fun. Heck people by me pay to hunt them on high fence game farms.

I really need to get down there and do some hog huntin'. Sounds like a lot of fun. Heck people by me pay to hunt them on high fence game farms.
You can come here brother, and shoot all you can stand. You could bring an ice truck, and still wanna blister more.

U guys' fresh cut wood piles are making me jealous! It's been really warm here in Ohio with even 70 high today but it won't stop raining either! Saturday was nice though and the next door neighbor just happened to have the power company drop a big ash in his yard. He got to borrow and forget to put bar oil in my saws for the first 5 tanks(sigh). I had other plans for the stump. Trying out my new carving bar! Ash doesn't carve as easy as I thought but there's a dog starting to come outta that log!
image.jpg

U guys' fresh cut wood piles are making me jealous! It's been really warm here in Ohio with even 70 high today but it won't stop raining either! Saturday was nice though and the next door neighbor just happened to have the power company drop a big ash in his yard. He got to borrow and forget to put bar oil in my saws for the first 5 tanks(sigh). I had other plans for the stump. Trying out my new carving bar! Ash doesn't carve as easy as I thought but there's a dog starting to come outta that log!
View attachment 491960
Awesome!

Don't know exactly where to put this guys...but since my fishin daughter who likes to wear'em out...Her graduation dress just cost the ol' man about $700 bucks. I asked her if a pair of Wally World Wranglers would suffice?? You can figure out real quick how long that turd in the punch bowl lasted on that thing.

She's my baby...so grown up. She's a beautiful young lady. I just want her and her older brother to be something better than me fellas... I'm just a sweat niggra trying to keep the Air Forces C-17, C-5, C-130's F-15's flyin'. I do what I can for this country...and I won't stop for nothing nor no one.

Here's a pic of the freedom and what I live for...doing my little part for this country, so my baby girl gets her chance....she's my baby girl. And I'm gonna miss her soooo much when she hits college.
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back