Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three days in a row sub 30, in April, and new snow each morning! I don't think the Daffodils are gonna like the 18 degrees we had this morning, and I heard it is also gonna play havoc with the Apple trees, which had already blossomed!
You have to look on the bright side, Apple wood is good stuff and if you need some cash it brings a premium in summer with the smoking crowd. But honestly I hope the trees in your area pull through, it can't be good for the bees and the rest of old mother nature of a bunch of trees croak.( wouldn't worry about the flowers, you can always replace them with plastic ones that don't need attention )

You have to look on the bright side, Apple wood is good stuff and if you need some cash it brings a premium in summer with the smoking crowd. But honestly I hope the trees in your area pull through, it can't be good for the bees and the rest of old mother nature of a bunch of trees croak.( wouldn't worry about the flowers, you can always replace them with plastic ones that don't need attention )

The problem is that the frost kills the apple blossoms, and then no apples will grow this year. No apples for us to eat, and also no apples in the woods for the deer. :(

The problem is that the frost kills the apple blossoms, and then no apples will grow this year. No apples for us to eat, and also no apples in the woods for the deer. :(
we just feed the deer sweet corn down here in york co.:cry:
and HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!

we just feed the deer sweet corn down here in york co.:cry:
and HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!

Yeah, we do that here too. Not at Farmer Steve levels, but we usually plant 4 lbs of sweet corn a year for family use. My 84 year old grandfather stands watch with his 12 ga. to keep the deer out, but they just wait for him to go to bed...

And thanks! No scrounging today, but hopefully I can scrounge up some cake later.

I bet Mechanic Matt gave er a good poke! Lol.
Closest I have ever come is a 67 mustang coupe. I actually prefer the coupes. It was a work in progress but along came a little girl and a new house...... I'm not complaining, I have a really nice truck and house.... The truck is for family and towing camper and SCROUNGING (just to stay on topic). It's not the same as a hotrod. 4 kids,youngest is 10...maybe in about 10 years :)
Hey WN.
It sounds as though you're living the dream:yes:.
I hope you have some sort of state sponsored college that is figured into the 10yrs. Here we would need to allow for 8yrs for grade school amd another 2-4 for a degree.
Thanks God for scholarships, grants, trade schools, and kids who will work.
2 down, 3 to go(youngest is 3).
To keep on topic, it looks like I'll be in this thread for at least another 15-19yrs:happy:

I like to feed them a direct injection of steel tipped carbon or copper jacketed lead moving at a high rate of speed.

A 7mm 150 gr Core Lokt at 3,110 FPS lets them know who is boss with authority, but as far as feeding them, it's a bit hard on the teeth.

Yes but split up over a dozen people. I personally took a gallon, a quart, and 8 pints. The gallons come out to $49 a jug shipped. The smaller bottles are somewhat more expensive per ounce but well worth it.

I went to look up a picture of a 55 gallon barrel of maple syrup and found this instead:
WW-maple-syrup-detail1.png

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/woodinville-barrel-aged-maple-syrup/

Now I can't decide if I want maple syrup barrel aged bourbon, or bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. Or both...

12 gallons
SWEET!!

I like to feed them a direct injection of steel tipped carbon or copper jacketed lead moving at a high rate of speed.
:rock2: iv'e seen it happen.

I went to look up a picture of a 55 gallon barrel of maple syrup and found this instead:
WW-maple-syrup-detail1.png

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/woodinville-barrel-aged-maple-syrup/

Now I can't decide if I want maple syrup barrel aged bourbon, or bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. Or both...

I've had some good infused syrup, there is a place in central MN that makes good stuff. Habanero maple is really good.

For maple bourbon look no further than Knob Creek Maple.
glad to see you guys are staying on topic with all the maple talk. even though it ain't about firewood.:laughing:

Amish auction next week has maple syrup for sale. Either 5 gallon pails or 55 gallon drums. The drums will be around $2000 Canadian. I'm going to the equipment sale tomorrow, there is some stuff that I just can't possibly live without. There is a sawmill too, would be handy.
Elmira Produce Auction. Not too far from you either Wood Nazi.
http://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/index.cfm?page=auctions

Went out to my buddies 50acres that we will be scrounging on this summer a bit ago and look what was on the steps of the camper :sweet:, 2 jars of maple syrup, so he gave me this one:).1458737624708.jpg
Here's some of the various pieces of wood that will be cut and hauled this summer.
This is what was left minus what we have already taken at the landing.20160322_195009.jpg
Not sure if I posted these here yet, but gives an idea of one of my big projects for this summer. Here's a few of the 162 tops we have to cut up.20160322_195111.jpg20160322_195120.jpg

Latest posts

Back