Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Tool sells a cheap one (Item# 38588 - $40). But then again, it is a cheap NT product. Might work better than a roofing shovel? Might not?

Philbert
The purpose built took even a cheap one would probably work better that an adapted tool. I will try the mini shovel I have because I already have it.

Looked at those pictures the other day mike :rock:.
Nice old stang, and is that a cutlass in the background of the one picture:surprised3:.

Not sure what car was behind my Black Mustang, just something traveling on US Rte 6!

The pic of the Blue Boss also has the headlight of my Green 1968 GT (a 302 4spd with 9" posi rear). That was my commuter car, put 230,000 miles on it.

Apology to Matt, there was a message on my machine, my wife must have forwarded it w/o telling me.

Odd the things you learn on t'internet. I knew what dancan's bar was but yet I've never felled a tree. Found it eventually in my youtube history I've fairly strong feeling I saw that after someone linked to it in this thread...it was in my history along with the video of that swedish guy and his efficient limbing technique....that was this thread wasn't it.

I think the pry bar would be very handy for those trees that are to small in diameter that a wedge is ineffective. I had that happen. I made my back cut as far as I was comfortable and that tree just stood there. Back cut wasnt deep enough for my baby wedges to convince to go over. I ended up pushing the tree in the right direction to get it down. The felling lever would have been pretty helpful. I now see another use for the mini roofing pry bar/shovel that was left at my place when we had the roof put on.

fa90cfac5b69146704fbbf5e96f67d49.jpg
Man that's a great idea.
There are also full shovel sized ones that would work was well and provide a lot of leverage. The full sized one would be a little more to carry but if you are not far from a vehicle either should do. I am curious if the metal that would be inserted into the cut would flex to much to be effective. Just need to find some small diameter trees to find out.
I have both the small ones and big ones at home. They do not bend easy, as I have had them for yrs and replace them only when I wear the bottom out so much I can't grind new teeth into them. Not sure if they will hold up to felling bigger trees, but for smaller ones they will work great. I think at least two of them have steel handles so you could weld whatever you want onto them. I haven't been doing many roofs lately and the ones I have are a bit worn so they may get modded, Blackerized Roofing Shovels Inc. LOL.

Not sure what car was behind my Black Mustang, just something traveling on US Rte 6!

The pic of the Blue Boss also has the headlight of my Green 1968 GT (a 302 4spd with 9" posi rear). That was my commuter car, put 230,000 miles on it.

Apology to Matt, there was a message on my machine, my wife must have forwarded it w/o telling me.
Wow, I'd love to have one of those for a commuter car.
A survivor with 230,000 on it that isn't rusted out would work for me.

Sold the 3 classic Mustangs I still had when the 1st wife got me into charge card debt. The 70 Boss and 2 68 GTs, one with the 302, the other with the 428 CJ and 4:30 drag pack rear. A few years ago, fully restored versions of that car were auctioning for 1/2 million. They only made a few at year end, and Ford won the NHRA Winter Nationals with that car that year. It had staggered rear shocks just like the later Boss Mustangs.

Sold the 3 classic Mustangs I still had when the 1st wife got me into charge card debt. The 70 Boss and 2 68 GTs, one with the 302, the other with the 428 CJ and 4:30 drag pack rear. A few years ago, fully restored versions of that car were auctioning for 1/2 million. They only made a few at year end, and Ford won the NHRA Winter Nationals with that car that year. It had staggered rear shocks just like the later Boss Mustangs.
Once you let the toys go, it's hard to get them back.

Philbert , the NT lever has a taper on the foot .

38588_2000x2000.jpg

The levers I have own are all the same thickness on the foot , it should still work.

I've used my long one to tip over 24" diameter spruce .
LondonNeil , that video you found is a member here , Stihl Crazy , he used to be in the forestry industry , cut way more timber than I ever will , now he works at an Outdoor Power Equipment dealership .
Chipper1 , I think the videos show the use pretty good .

Once you let the toys go, it's hard to get them back.

I love the classic years, but can't complain about what I currently have. The Whipple SC is 50 state emissions legal and pumps the power up to 530 Hp. The suspension, wheels, shifter, brakes, and clutch have all been upgraded. As a driver, it is hard to beat. It gets better mileage than the old 302 and has the performance of my 427!

I bet Mechanic Matt gave er a good poke! Lol.
Closest I have ever come is a 67 mustang coupe. I actually prefer the coupes. It was a work in progress but along came a little girl and a new house...... I'm not complaining, I have a really nice truck and house.... The truck is for family and towing camper and SCROUNGING (just to stay on topic). It's not the same as a hotrod. 4 kids,youngest is 10...maybe in about 10 years :)

Latest posts

Back