Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup , retired , we have a 2 year inspection up here , way too much to invest in it for a pass and I own the station , know the tester plus the transmission had issues for more than a year so it's just storage now .
It was a dam good van and served me well .
The f250 just made more sense to invest money into now that I'm rated to be at 75% of my physical ability 75% of the time ....

They are made to fit in the saw kerf and they have a corrugated tip so it doesn't slip out when prying .
Princess Auto has a Chinese medium one if they're close by , if you have an *** dealer close by , Stihl , Husky and Oregon have them .
Fiskars has a neat one but I've not seen it here .

Maybe Zogger can pull sone strings and get it brought over ?
Oh cool, ye aulde laptop works from 40 thou feet in this citation..ok, I'll get my minions right on that.....

Uncle Mike, I left you a message to give me a call. I bought a Henry Lever action tonight. I got the carbine with the big loop for Cailey. She wakes up early every Saturday to watch "The Rifleman". I asked her if she wanted a semi like her sister and she said NO she wants one like Chuck Connors. I can't wait to try it out! Gander Mt is weird, you can buy 1000round tub with purchase of a firearm or 325box any time. Im thinking to get the 1000 round tub, Im going to have quite a collection of .22's
I unloaded that .17hmr to appease the wife into letting me grab the .22 I found someone more willing to fuss with that gun and The Henry is MADE IN AMERICA. Talk to you fellas later.

Sweet! I would love a bigger saw but barely even have a need for an 85cc LOL
Excess is underated.
Was that a real grabby chain? Seems like there was some chattering noise on a few cuts. Could just have been the speakers though too. Saw pulls great though!
It's Stihl square filed chain, 3/8, 0.063 semi skip, 36" bar. It's never had a file on it, brand new. The wood is willow, soft and a little grabby with that chain. The weight of the saw was almost too much and had to hold it back slightly to keep the revs up. My cousin was the other guy in the clip and he was running a 2100 with 36" full comp round filed chain. He just bought that saw and the bar/chain came with it. He was having a hell of a time because the rakers were way too aggressive for soft wood.

That Capri looks very familiar Neil, when I was in college and had a 68 390 Mustang GT, a guy gave me a ride in one to impress me with it's handling.

It may have influenced me to get the 70 Boss 302 Mustang Body, which handled pretty well with BFG Radial Trans Ams on it even though I stuffed a 427 Ford engine under the hood. At the time, the Trans Ams were the ONLY wide radial tire you could buy, and they were new on the market. The big craze in tires at the time was the belted wide oval, took the radials a little time to catch on! I mounted them on 15 X 7 Keystone Mags.

The attached scanned pics include my 70 Boss Mustang (Blue), my 68 Factory 428 CJ (Black), and some of my old friends at a party long ago!
Looked at those pictures the other day mike :rock:.
Nice old stang, and is that a cutlass in the background of the one picture:surprised3:.

Was that a real grabby chain? Seems like there was some chattering noise on a few cuts. Could just have been the speakers though too. Saw pulls great though!
Maybe you could sell it LOL.
@farmer steve
I'm a vulture in a tuxedo(ie an eagle:)).

I didnt hear any chatter but that could just be me. Saw looked and sounded nice an smooth in the cut.

Felling levers are faster than wedges in smaller diameter trees and can be used with wedges in some instances .
Do they give enough leverage to do a snap cut on the back cut.
I wouldn't want that in there as I was making a cut, but could see how you could use a wedge to finish the cut then use the bar to bring it over.

I think the pry bar would be very handy for those trees that are to small in diameter that a wedge is ineffective. I had that happen. I made my back cut as far as I was comfortable and that tree just stood there. Back cut wasnt deep enough for my baby wedges to convince to go over. I ended up pushing the tree in the right direction to get it down. The felling lever would have been pretty helpful. I now see another use for the mini roofing pry bar/shovel that was left at my place when we had the roof put on.

fa90cfac5b69146704fbbf5e96f67d49.jpg

I think the pry bar would be very handy for those trees that are to small in diameter that a wedge is ineffective.
That's why I heard that they were popular in Europe, working on smaller diameter trees. Always interested in hearing how/where different things work.

I now see another use for the mini roofing pry bar/shovel that was left at my place when we had the roof put on.
Wow! GREAT adaptation! I'll be keeping my eyes out for one of those at garage sales now, just to try!

Philbert

That's why I heard that they were popular in Europe, working on smaller diameter trees. Always interested in hearing how/where different things work.

Wow! GREAT adaptation! I'll be keeping my eyes out for one of those at garage sales now, just to try!

Philbert

There are also full shovel sized ones that would work was well and provide a lot of leverage. The full sized one would be a little more to carry but if you are not far from a vehicle either should do. I am curious if the metal that would be inserted into the cut would flex to much to be effective. Just need to find some small diameter trees to find out.

Latest posts

Back