Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to stop by on your way through to the auction, I'm about 15 min out of route. I'll start a big fire for you since your a Texan and bigger is better there, and I know you like fires:blob2:.
This was the one we had yesterday. The kids are headed out there to stoke it back up right now, the joys of living in the country.
Guess they were successful.
Hopefully no one calls child protective services on me since the kids are out "playing with fire":crazy2:.View attachment 503562View attachment 503563

ok, u got it! :) that is... a swell fire. no doubt... you prob call it a bon fire...

down here we would call it a camp fire... ;)

one of my fav camp fire or fireplace things to do is to get next day's fire going off last nite's coals... looks to be u be teaching the kids all the right things...

Rule #1 - splitting, camp or fireplace fires rule!

have nice day...

Nice load and a sweet trailer for wood. Is it a converted boat trailer.
I broke a taillight backing into a driveway to by a splitter one time. The guy had an LED outdoor light shinning down the drive that was blasting me in the mirror.
You'll never guess what I hit, a stump, the irony of it all lol.
Here's trailer load #2 from Saturday, its chestnut. I just started a new green wood pile for the stuff that has been bucked up.
It should have another load on it by the end of the week of maple.View attachment 503574 Then yesterday I got this load of ash and hard maple from my buddy in the picture above from a job he did. View attachment 503576 Here's how I like to be set up for splitting. Splitter between the pile and the trailer and anything to big gets halfed and the half goes right back on the trailer. This way I'm not lifting pieces of the ground again as I already did that when I loaded them. I managed to get about 1/3 of that trailer load done. I'm going to finish it today, at least that's the plan:).View attachment 503578

he** of a firewood pile! I like it... you CSS firewood like I reach for another toothpick after the evening meal... I should maybe add another motivator sign to my splitting ops area: Do It The Chipper Way - Just Do It!

lol

That looks just like what my buddy was throwing in the fire.
But bring it on over when you swing through.
We have a saying here at our house,"if you want to warm yourself by the fire bring a stick", I would add to that and say or 2, or a truck load :laugh:.

well, the sweet spot in all that scrounging... was I merely had to bend my knees... reach down... and pick it up. dint even have to 'drive' off road, or off the road to make it mine. the way I see it is... a rose is a rose, and a scrounge is a scrounge... and me, too...

even me at times qualifies as a scrounge... :blob2:

lol...

Mine was always a utility trailer. Kind of looks homemade with the sides cobbled on it from the previous owner (my wife's aunt RIP). It is built very well but isn't the prettiest thing. Problem is replacing it with a new one of similar capacity would be quite costly.

>It is built very well but isn't the prettiest thing.

I have met some women just like that from time to time... :D

>Problem is replacing it with a new one of similar capacity would be quite costly

that is why top comment had merit :D

:laughing:

:popcorn2:

well, the sweet spot in all that scrounging... was I merely had to bend my knees... reach down... and pick it up. dint even have to 'drive' off road, or off the road to make it mine. the way I see it is... a rose is a rose, and a scrounge is a scrounge... and me, too...

even me at times qualifies as a scrounge... :blob2:

lol...
I'm all about that. I was darn tempted to Stop and grab one split that I saw on the side of a 2 track. But I figured I'd wait a bit and it payed off. Kind of one of those moments where, "I couldn't see the forest through the trees", would have applied.
Here's the site I grabbed the maple up at and the load. I got it all in one load which works out nice. 20160517_190256.jpg20160517_210556.jpg

Thanks. My son works at the local auction and I always preview when I drop him off. Had to talk myself out of a couple what looked like new in box Solo saws last week.

Wood Nazi, guess I better start this post by saying "sorry". I assume you are talking about the Rockford auction. I hope you weren't the guy I ran up a few times? I hate to see stuff go too cheap. I might have bought a few things there at that sale. They were all brand new, the Solo was missing the guard but the 2 redmax were complete. $15 for the Solo, $25 for Redmax and $55 for straight shaft Redmax. Drills were cheap too. I go to a few sales there.
IMG_20160430_173241.jpg

I'm all about that. I was darn tempted to Stop and grab one split that I saw on the side of a 2 track. But I figured I'd wait a bit and it payed off. Kind of one of those moments where, "I couldn't see the forest through the trees", would have applied.
Here's the site I grabbed the maple up at and the load. I got it all in one load which works out nice. View attachment 503694View attachment 503695

APPROVED!

Wood Nazi, guess I better start this post by saying "sorry". I assume you are talking about the Rockford auction. I hope you weren't the guy I ran up a few times? I hate to see stuff go too cheap. I might have bought a few things there at that sale. They were all brand new, the Solo was missing the guard but the 2 redmax were complete. $15 for the Solo, $25 for Redmax and $55 for straight shaft Redmax. Drills were cheap too. I go to a few sales there.
View attachment 503698
Yep, Rockford. I haven't really bid on anything there. Lots of stuff goes cheap though. My young lad works there usually on the antique side.

Its the regular green one I have. Not sure if the red pro ones are any better. I'm currently building a 372 and I think the next one I try is going to be a 20in sugihara
That should be a great combo I've heard a lot of good things about those bars.

View attachment 503698
You are killin me! Just paid 200 bucks for a Husky trimmer on Monday!

IMG_20160518_192824.jpg

I was a good scrounging neighbour tonight by keeping the noise at a bare minimum .

Latest posts

Back