Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard Cowboy, was gonna say we learn things from you guys down under also, but FS beat me to the "mate" reference! That is a beautiful pic you posted.

I have had some people give a bit of a distressed look when I tell them I post to a chainsaw thread, but then when I tell them that the site includes people from not only across the country, but from around the world, all of a sudden they have a different opinion of it.

I was at the house lot that I'm clearing , this was on the side of the road they poked in to get to the lot .
Was there last fall , been there all summer , nice and dry maple with 2 sticks of spruce , the fir was underneath so it was wet and soft .

16%2B-%2B1

The dry stuff came home with me :)

Here's another spruce that was killed by a porcupine .

16%2B-%2B11

16%2B-%2B12

He chewed the bark completely around in two spots , it was about 12" at the butt and straight , nice firewood tree now :)
I did get a fair amount of wood on the ground , no winching today .

16%2B-%2B25

16%2B-%2B3

And made it to the back right corner of the lot so now it's a downhill run to the finish lol

16%2B-%2B2

Got some good scrounging in. Great day

Neighbor wanted me to pump the brakes a bit on my ambitions to keep things a little less accessible by trail due to hunting season coming.

Headed out

Got the trail opened and a load out of sugar maple that was immediately on or next to the trail.

Then I went after the rest of the tree on the hill.

Job foreman being the pisser he is inspecting the cuts

Fiskard up and ready to be loaded. The black butt and tail was the osha inspector that I'm sitting for a buddy. She was right there everytime you turned around

I got 2.5 loads out of there. Best sugar maple I've ever scrounged.

I'll check out the popple lying with it maybe Wednesday. I was under the gun today.

Next one I did up was the tree I thought was an elm.

Turns out @svk was right being a black ash.

The standing part was rotted as was the first 10 feet lying on the ground.

I was able to bag a full load out of it.

Could of got a little more but I was beat, the saws were beat, and I had a yard to manicure before a birthday party tomorrow.

Give me scrounging any day over cutting in a pile

Neighbor wanted me to pump the brakes a bit on my ambitions to keep things a little less accessible by trail due to hunting season coming.

Headed out

Got the trail opened and a load out of sugar maple that was immediately on or next to the trail.

Fiskard up and ready to be loaded. The black butt and tail was the osha inspector that I'm sitting for a buddy. She was right there everytime you turned around

I'll check out the popple lying with it maybe Wednesday. I was under the gun today.

Could of got a little more but I was beat, the saws were beat, and I had a yard to manicure before a birthday party tomorrow.

That's great! Looks like fun!

Great scrounge !
Wanna trade for some softwood ?

Lol. This is the best score of Sugar Maple I have ever had. The first 5 feet was hollowed out from bugs or rot.

And since it was hollow it was pretty dry already with almost no soft spots. I was absolutely floored that the whole tree was good.

That's great! Looks like fun!

I love scrounging. I can get way more cut and split in the log pile in the same time but this is way more enjoyable for me.

I totally agree, I would much rather be out in the woods scroungeing for wood than cut out of a log deck. Being out in mountains, seeing animals, finding the next big score, figuring how to get it out, the satisfaction of going home with a nice load of good dry wood to keep you warm with very little cost, very enjoyable!

Headed out

I like the convenience of cutting in the log pile, but there is something about getting out and cutting onsite whether it's in the woods or a field fence line. More work but I like it better too.

Cut a big 34" Red Oak log all by myself this morning, but then got rained out so I did not take it out of there (don't want to ruin a lawn, I'll wait till it is dry).

Spent more time releasing compressions and moving cut pieces, etc than actually sawing, and it is tough to block things you leverage & move w/o a second person, but I got it done!

In wood this size, the ported 460s really show their worth, especially with the 36" bar. (in the pic w/24' & 36" bars). My 044 with the 28" bar is strong for a 044, but in this size wood the torque of the larger saws really becomes evident. I was also pleased I did not rock any chains in the process.

For this project I was glad I brought a few saws, wedges & splitting axe to send them home, and the timber jack, and I made some wooden "lever bars" on site.

Attachments

• IMG_20161009_103738619.jpg
    IMG_20161009_103738619.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20161009_124607681.jpg
    IMG_20161009_124607681.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20161009_124615989.jpg
    IMG_20161009_124615989.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20161009_124631531.jpg
    IMG_20161009_124631531.jpg