Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sometimes measure with a 50' tape and lumber crayon. Sometimes I turn my 2188 90 degrees to the wood, eyeball from the tank to the rivet on the sprocket nose, and then resume cutting. Both ways work, and get it 'close enough' for my raggedy stacks.
That being said, the magnet and stick combo are pretty sweet. I wish it came in 20".
The disc fully out from the magnet is 16" but if you need longer you set the disc backwards to HALF its length. So say you need 20" you go to 10" with the disc and mark out twice.
I thought it was, "Measure once, CURSE twice!"

Positive. It's tan, not grey bark. And underneath is littered with elm leaves amongst a forest of aspens.

Just giving you a hard time Steve.;)

I know the feeling of finding a tree that you thought didn't exist near your place.

Kinda like when I discovered the big oak last year.

Just giving you a hard time Steve.;)

I know the feeling of finding a tree that you thought didn't exist near your place.

Kinda like when I discovered the big oak last year.
It's been a good year of discoveries.

Found nice bur oak, lots of smaller elm, and these big ones. Pays to pay attention lol.

It's been a good year of discoveries.

Found nice bur oak, lots of smaller elm, and these big ones. Pays to pay attention lol.

It's funny the way things work. I am 30 minutes south east of St Cloud and the woods next to me is littered with huge elms but only about 5-10 of birch and aspen that are natural. Can't touch that elm until it dies though :)

Well we scrounged up some venison today. FIL shot a beautiful 13 pointer out of my son's stand and I got a 3 pointer. We were both filled out by 9:30. We are out of tags so I'm going to do some grouse hunting and a couple days of work around the cabin before I head home.

I'll count us as extremely lucky. Including us there were 8 shots fired all morning within earshot. And being a calm day you can hear a rifle for miles.

Well we scrounged up some venison today. FIL shot a beautiful 13 pointer out of my son's stand and I got a 3 pointer. We were both filled out by 9:30. We are out of tags so I'm going to do some grouse hunting and a couple days of work around the cabin before I head home.

I'll count us as extremely lucky. Including us there were 8 shots fired all morning within earshot. And being a calm day you can hear a rifle for miles.
Alright glad to hear there's a few left, meat in the freezer!

Hunted close to home this AM, still bow season, and likely had the best morning ever that I did not fire a shot!

Got in the climber a bit late, 7:30, was already daylight. 8:30 spotted a Red Fox 60 yds front right. Watched it for about 10 min, then a PU pulled up in front of a house and he slowly left. About 9:30 I was gonna call it, but I thought the leaves were moving down to the right, so I stayed put. About 5 min later a little one pops out. Goes about 50 yds (slowly), still no Mom. Then another little one pops out. Then a big doe and another little one. Then another little one and another big one. A few minutes later, the Buck is in the rear, looked to be about an 8 pt, they are all about 60 yds. The buck snorts and there is pandemonium, most of them go down hill, but 2 little ones circle up toward me and stop 30 yds from my stand, then they slowly drifted down also.

A few minutes later, another full size deer (no antlers) to the front right, coming across slowly about 50 yds away. I have a 50 yrd pin, but then I see a fox (not sure if it is the same one) in front of the deer headed diagonally toward me. The fox passed about 10 feet away, right under my stand, and I figured not to try at the deer unless it came closer. Was hoping the Buck would return again, but no such luck.

No shot, no deer, but it beat the heck out of not seeing anything! Oh, last time I saw a bunch of squirrels, but with that fox around they were no where to be found today! I think that is the most deer I have seen in a morning with the exception of when there are drives in progress.
Sure fun to see that stuff when your out hunting, I had a calf elk walk by me less than 5 feet away this year during archery season, great times.

congrats Steve. all i saw were 2 does. stihl archery season here for another week. rifle season doesn't start till the monday after thanksgiving. my wood cutting buddy showed me pics of a monster buck he took last evening. he lives about 1/4 mile from me.

I had two right under me just before dawn started to break...just too dark to shoot.....so I wait. Check my watch, and proceed to bump my bow against the stand. That sent them running, but just a little way. 5 minutes later Dropping the flashlight (forgot it was still on my lap, and having it hit 3 steps on the way down sent them running to the neighbors. Jeeesh, I'm gonna stick to afternoon hunting. If it wasn't such a beautiful morning I would have quit @ 7:30...but I sat for another hour and 1/2. Good luck all!

ok, funny story. wife and i were just out on the patio have our evening adult beverage. i kept hearing the this beep,beep, beep. asked the wife if it was the clothes dryer. yeah probably. i have the alarm on. ok. so i come in to sit down at the 'puter and i feel something in my back pocket. it was my moisture meter and i guess sitting on the soft patio chair i didn't feel it but i guess it kept turning on and off. and for those of you :rolleyes: i only had 1 beer. next question from the wife was "when did you buy that and how much did it cost"? :laughing:

ok, funny story. wife and i were just out on the patio have our evening adult beverage. i kept hearing the this beep,beep, beep. asked the wife if it was the clothes dryer. yeah probably. i have the alarm on. ok. so i come in to sent down at the 'puter and i feel something in my back pocket. it was my moisture meter and i guess sitting on the soft patio chair i didn't feel it but i guess it kept turning on and off. and for those of you :rolleyes: i only had 1 beer. next question from the wife was "when did you buy that and how much did it cost"? :laughing:
Them things are hocus pocus. Just ask whitespider!

I had two right under me just before dawn started to break...just too dark to shoot.....so I wait. Check my watch, and proceed to bump my bow against the stand. That sent them running, but just a little way. 5 minutes later Dropping the flashlight (forgot it was still on my lap, and having it hit 3 steps on the way down sent them running to the neighbors. Jeeesh, I'm gonna stick to afternoon hunting. If it wasn't such a beautiful morning I would have quit @ 7:30...but I sat for another hour and 1/2. Good luck all!
I've been there brother!

pXwOQha3B0SBy4mAVjewQbrCQYTFqbrHiB4S-LbWZZ1BnyHhB8qvtoDl83zpF0LVfVTAiffYHaw=w1004-h850-no

Muh scrounged up wood just choochin away keepin the 2C/36F out of the house :)
Yes , that piece of maple wasn't quite dry but it's only a short ugly , be dry in no time in there lol

@svk congrats to you and your hunting crew. Sounds like nearly barren woods by you. I will keep that in mind next time I consider complaining about the low deer numbers in the northern tier of PA.

@farmer steve let you wood cuttin buddy know I say congrats on the biggun. Hope you see a buck. I have a bunch of days off or at least planned off for rifle season. So I am sure I will wonder over your way one of those days.

My usual hunting buddy that goes to camp with me got his first archery deer a 6pt today. He is really happy as its been a few years of misses and close calls to get here. I am really happy for him!

I am finally going to get out hunting on monday. Well at least thats the plan. I will be flying kind of blind since I haven't been in the woods since last January. I would be satisfied to just see something this year. I have pretty low expectations of how the next week of archery will turn out. Hopefully it is great. My dad says hunting at camp is slow. I still have lots of prepping to do. The only thing I have done is charge the headlamp and wash the hunting close. But there is lots of time to organize before Monday.

I took the family out fly fishing tonight. My wife and daughter caught their first trout on a fly rod. So that is pretty exciting.

I bought another elevator for firewood splits. $500 but it's in good shape. I also built another log trailer today. Now I have one to load small logs in and one to load bigger logs in. It'll make it easier to pile into two log piles at home and reduce log splitting time because the rounds will be closer to the same size and I won't have to adjust the 4 way splitter as often. I only got half of the sliding hitch made but it'll work good enough for now.
IMG_20161105_082557.jpg IMG_20161105_082615.jpg IMG_20161105_164714.jpg IMG_20161105_164648.jpg

@svk congrats to you and your hunting crew. Sounds like nearly barren woods by you. I will keep that in mind next time I consider complaining about the low deer numbers in the northern tier of PA.

@farmer steve let you wood cuttin buddy know I say congrats on the biggun. Hope you see a buck. I have a bunch of days off or at least planned off for rifle season. So I am sure I will wonder over your way one of those days.

My usual hunting buddy that goes to camp with me got his first archery deer a 6pt today. He is really happy as its been a few years of misses and close calls to get here. I am really happy for him!

I am finally going to get out hunting on monday. Well at least thats the plan. I will be flying kind of blind since I haven't been in the woods since last January. I would be satisfied to just see something this year. I have pretty low expectations of how the next week of archery will turn out. Hopefully it is great. My dad says hunting at camp is slow. I still have lots of prepping to do. The only thing I have done is charge the headlamp and wash the hunting close. But there is lots of time to organize before Monday.

I took the family out fly fishing tonight. My wife and daughter caught their first trout on a fly rod. So that is pretty exciting.
Thank you.

I have only heard of one other person who got a deer today in northern MN and just about everyone I know is a hunter. We got extremely lucky (and me taking two days off to scout didn't hurt either).

Latest posts

Back