Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I found. Borax or salt the skin and let it dry then freeze in a zip lock for a few days to kill any critters. Then you are good to go. Thanks for taking the time to do this svk. I appreciate it.

Still no deer but I really should be squirrel hunting. There is a ton of them.

Here's what I found. Borax or salt the skin and let it dry then freeze in a zip lock for a few days to kill any critters. Then you are good to go. Thanks for taking the time to do this svk. I appreciate it.

Still no deer but I really should be squirrel hunting. There is a ton of them.
Will do. I have never skun a grouse before so fortunately I have two to practice on. I will try to avoid incisions where the more mottled feathers are as I am sure that is what you are after. Both of these have awesome tail feathers too.

Those are ringnecks aka ringbills which are closely related, significantly more plentiful and slightly smaller then true bluebills. We get a "frostyback" blue bill every so often though.

That would have been my second guess. We don't see many down here and I think I shot a pair 10 years ago or so. Thanks!

Will do. I have never skun a grouse before so fortunately I have two to practice on. I will try to avoid incisions where the more mottled feathers are as I am sure that is what you are after. Both of these have awesome tail feathers too.
Yep. I would YouTube a how to video. Heck YouTube is how I am learning to tie files.

I'm after whatever you manage to get. Typically the skins are neck back tail feathers and wings. I figure whatever comes out of your skin job will be perfect.

That would have been my second guess. We don't see many down here and I think I shot a pair 10 years ago or so. Thanks!
Ironically the best looking ringnecks I ever saw were out in golf course ponds in Palm Springs CA. Full winter plumage birds and you could even see the ring on their neck.

I re-split and moved 2 loads of last year's scrounge to the back of the house Saturday:
View attachment 535720 View attachment 535721
Took a ride around the property with my cousin Sunday afternoon to identify some more scrounge. We'll be out there next weekend with my 2188 and PS5100, and his 372, and see how much ash we can get down and skidded in a day.

Those tyres on your truck must be pretty good!

Those tyres on your truck must be pretty good!

They're actually garbage Goodyears, but they have a 10 ply rating, so they put up with the weight.

That truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 9,000 lbs, and weighs a tick over 5,000 with me in the driver's seat, so I can legally put almost 2 short tons in the bed (1.8 metric tonnes). Not bad for a 30 year old truck.

Also, I want to point out that the wood in the first pic was cut and piled on the ground for 2 years. Lots of fungus and mold to be found in the stuff on the bottom. This is the specific reason why I've switched to stacking everything on pallets - you might sacrifice the wood pallet, but you save your wood from getting all funky.

I know this has been debated here in the past, but the proof is in the pudding. The wood from the second pic was stacked in a windrow, on the ground, for 2 years. The bottom pieces are a little moldy, but the upper pieces are clean as a whistle.

Got after one of my downed yard trees and the ATV hardwood scrounge this afternoon. It's again a completely unseasonable 63 degrees up here so I'm working in jeans and a tshirt.

IMG_6110.JPG

Then onto the ATV scrounge pile:
IMG_6112.JPG

Filled up the rack I recently emptied. This is all maple and oak with a bit of elm on the bottom right corner.
IMG_6114.JPG

They're actually garbage Goodyears, but they have a 10 ply rating, so they put up with the weight.

That truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 9,000 lbs, and weighs a tick over 5,000 with me in the driver's seat, so I can legally put almost 2 short tons in the bed (1.8 metric tonnes). Not bad for a 30 year old truck.

That's all good but was the way they stick to the ground even when the truck is inverted or on a vertical slope that impressed me :crazy2:

(your pictures are rotated 90 and 180 degrees respectively on my puter).

That's all good but was the way they stick to the ground even when the truck is inverted or on a vertical slope that impressed me :crazy2:

(your pictures are rotated 90 and 180 degrees respectively on my puter).

I was just trying to make the pics right side up for you Aussies on the bottom of the world!

Back