Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
Pulled a few more standing dead spruce out of the creek this evening. Had these yahoos hanging around the whole time so they could snack on the moss hanging in the tops. Even scored a small jag of Red Alder to smoke some salmon with.

They're cute yahoos though. And delicious.

Some yahoo let those yahoos loose in our country and now those yahoos are everywhere. Problem is that most of the forested area around me is national park and you're not allowed to shoot anything or have any fun at all in national parks. Very close to me is a hydro scheme with several dams that are full of trout. I took an early morning (yes, 3.00am) drive back in summer up to one of them that I had never caught a fish in. Bugger me, I count 13 yahoos standing on the side of the road driving up. Various sizes including several big yahoos with big racks. They're all thinking the same thing, "What's that dumb yahoo doing driving up the road at 3am"?

Didn't catch a fish in that dam either.

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Another day, another deer stand. Did not see any thing yet.

67387241a3dfa564c7232571ec7f2890.jpg

4bd5751e50105e4fa20ad61f757c2f6a.jpg

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good morning Trevor.
Nice pictures.
Better to be in a stand and not see a thing than at work LOL.
Hope you have a great day :).
Still have not seen any thing. By far the worst rut I have had in many years. But this is the first year hunting exclusively around home. So far it's been a disappointment.

kingOFgEEEks

kingOFgEEEks

Out, standing in my field.
Still have not seen any thing. By far the worst rut I have had in many years. But this is the first year hunting exclusively around home. So far it's been a disappointment.

Here in my neck of PA, I didn't see any rut activity at all until about a week ago. It's definitely late this year.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Bummer.
I like to stalk, but it's a bit different when it's public land and with a bow, now a crossbow :), but i've never done that.
The spots I had to hunt were usually narrow strips where the deer had to go and you had to be very close to the trail. Failure or success was determined by three things; direction of travel, wind, and your ability to listen to what the first two were telling you. If you went out and the first two weren't working together for your spot, you don't even waste your time going out, but when they were right you were putting meat on the table :sweet:.

Hopefully things will change soon for you. Hunting is similar to fishing, with fishing your odds greatly increase based on the amount of time you have your line in the water and similarly the more your in the woods the greater the odds you'll shoot something :). Yes I left it open on purpose LOL.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Lol. Sorry[emoji13] didn't think this would create such a buzz. Heres a couple of pics (of the origonal not the newer orange one) and a video that looks like its from years ago lol.
6b98d090f532bf7bfa84ce3910a12430.jpg
7362424319de931c6cb8d749d355566d.jpg

That one is mounted on the felling spike as suggested by @nomad_archer

And heres a video link of it in use.

That does look like it would work pretty sweet.
I did understand, but I like pictures, especially ones with orange saws :).
I'm not that good, my 16" pieces range from 12-20. And I read a tape measure for a living! I'm going to get a gizmo for next year.
I was thinking it had more to do with the fact your on the other side of the lakes, maybe the wrong tape measure.
Yes, cut them at 20, no I meant 20" lol.
I sometimes measure with a 50' tape and lumber crayon. Sometimes I turn my 2188 90 degrees to the wood, eyeball from the tank to the rivet on the sprocket nose, and then resume cutting. Both ways work, and get it 'close enough' for my raggedy stacks.
That being said, the magnet and stick combo are pretty sweet. I wish it came in 20".
I have seen others that do. If you want me to find a link I will later :).
measure twice cut once.:laughing:
That's funny Steve :laugh:.

Guess I didn't quote the other one(not sure who said it, "I cut it twice and it's still to short":laughing:.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
ok, funny story. wife and i were just out on the patio have our evening adult beverage. i kept hearing the this beep,beep, beep. asked the wife if it was the clothes dryer. yeah probably. i have the alarm on. ok. so i come in to sit down at the 'puter and i feel something in my back pocket. it was my moisture meter and i guess sitting on the soft patio chair i didn't feel it but i guess it kept turning on and off. and for those of you :rolleyes: i only had 1 beer. next question from the wife was "when did you buy that and how much did it cost"? :laughing:
Did you say "for me :rolleyes:", can you say Depends, LOL.

To you wife, "honey it's not how much it cost, it's how much it makes :D.

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Didn't see any deer today. I think I got a sun burn. It went from 35 degrees to 65 degrees today. I was dressed for 35. I was hot this afternoon. But going to a different spot tomorrow. See what that holds we are supposed to get some rain in the AM maybe that will change things. I dont know. But I did get my vote in. So lets see where that lands tonight.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Didn't see any deer today. I think I got a sun burn. It went from 35 degrees to 65 degrees today. I was dressed for 35. I was hot this afternoon. But going to a different spot tomorrow. See what that holds we are supposed to get some rain in the AM maybe that will change things. I dont know. But I did get my vote in. So lets see where that lands tonight.
we hit 70 here today Trevor. tomorrow morning sounds good with the rain.gonna stalk the edges of some cornfields in the a.m. and do a little grunting and rattling.

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
we hit 70 here today Trevor. tomorrow morning sounds good with the rain.gonna stalk the edges of some cornfields in the a.m. and do a little grunting and rattling.

Last I looked it was 65 but I wouldnt doubt it was 70. I plan on waiting until the rain quits tomorrow and then at a minimum doing some walking/sneaking to try to find some fresh sign and hopefully bump a few deer and find a new spot for Thursday. Good idea having the grunt tube in my pocket. Worst case it will be far more entertaining than sitting looking at the same trees and seeing nothing.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I sometimes measure with a 50' tape and lumber crayon. Sometimes I turn my 2188 90 degrees to the wood, eyeball from the tank to the rivet on the sprocket nose, and then resume cutting. Both ways work, and get it 'close enough' for my raggedy stacks.
That being said, the magnet and stick combo are pretty sweet. I wish it came in 20".
My saw has a 20in bar, Like you I just turn the saw 90*. My stove will take 32in wood, but I like to handle 20in, so a inch one way or the other isnt a big deal.

Latest posts