Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what a normal load looks like for me, barely filling my ranger. I'll find a load like this every few days on the side of the road, or on CL. Always try to keep gloves and a cheapo saw in my truck, cause little scores like this seem to pop up everywhere I go.
Todays was 2 trees at an old ladys house. I believe one to be locust and the other is cedar. The cedar feels real gopherish so i think im gonna cut it to 8" and split it for kindling.

10011697_10201785813267729_8809226854387680426_o.jpg

Since I have become "age challenged", mechanized equipment has taken on a new meaning. I loaded 4' firewood by hand for 30 years, and it was time for a change.

I haven't read but the 1st thread by op, so just in response to that: Believe it or not, cl wanted ads have been my best source for finding hedgerows to cut for my folks. If you are just cutting for personal use, mention it in your ad. Both guys ground I'm cutting on right now mentioned that they noticed in my ad that I was cutting for my folks.
Next, knocking on doors out in the country, just like we used to do for hunting. I say used to because it's all leased out now. I think this would be the single best way if I hadn't already located these two spots using the computer.

It's easier than you think zog , these stems are straight grained , pretty dry and split in half pretty good even at 22" , the few that put up a fight get the tag team , the pa50 driven in one side and the x25 on the other :)
The last hardwood that I drug home was the first load that I didn't split before I loaded . After beating on a couple I threw it in the van round and split it with the SS , it would take two hits to split and a loud crack when it came apart , I have no idea what it was .

Lot of housing developments going up everywhere. I've got wood that way. Should go without saying but get permission from the sight foreman or developer because it's the right way to go about it and so they know you're removing and not dumping.

Brettl , I guess I wont talk about the free dumptruck loads of mixed wood from the secret subdivision yet to be named to be delivered to a secret location ............Yet ....;)

Helps to know people and make the right aquaintances.:D I live in Wichita KS in the city and have no room for such loads of wood. Far out in western Kansas we have some old family property left over from the days when our ancestors came over from Germany in covered wagons. I'd like to move out there some day. I'd have room for all I could cut.
I'd be a wood choppin' fool!!:chop:

Todays score. Mostly oak, already seasoned and split. A couple pieces of pine in there, i took them anyway cause the guy was real nice.

10175958_10201804472894208_2348162961052499661_n.jpg

I've got plenty wood right at home. But, I'm trustee at my local church, and it seems every serious storm drops an oak, or hickory, or one of our several wild cherry trees like this load:
Cherry.JPG .

Sawyer gets the choice. I donate some to the Boy Scouts to keep warm during their Christmas Tree sales campaign and Klondike races and practice.

Hi everyone, looks like you have been doing fine on this thread. Don't know why my internet stopped notifying me of posts here, but this website keeps doing strange things to me like that. Also, that new 362 thread has had me distracted. It was so nice to get some support for that saw, and it came like a tidal wave!

In a few days I'll be free to be out cutting again, looking forward to it, 4/15 can not come soon enough!

Enjoyed reading the recent posts here, hopefully this post will get me "back on notification".

If anyone wants go see my "project in progress", exit chainsaw and go to "milling ... Chainsaw Timber Framing" and you will see what me, MechanicMatt (my nephew) my brother and my friend Harold have been working on the past year +.

Good Luck with the cutting.
MustangMike

You know Clint, if I had a Moose like yours, i would not complain about my age!!!! Honestly, My Uncle (since departed) purchased an old Saw Mill from and old guy (since departed) in the Catskills, to use as a hunting cabin. My Uncle asked him how he was able to run the sawmill by himself. He describe how he would cut down a tree, attach it to his horse, and on command the horse would drag the log to the sawmill, back up to unhook himself, and return to the guy to drag the next log. Now that was a horse!

The old guy was also a Water Witcher. The local well companies would hire him, but not on the books. My brother and I did not believe it really worked, so he put his forked stick in our hands, told us how to hold it, and when you went past were he said there was water, you knew it. There are things we just don't understand.

You know Clint, if I had a Moose like yours, i would not complain about my age!!!! Honestly, My Uncle (since departed) purchased an old Saw Mill from and old guy (since departed) in the Catskills, to use as a hunting cabin. My Uncle asked him how he was able to run the sawmill by himself. He describe how he would cut down a tree, attach it to his horse, and on command the horse would drag the log to the sawmill, back up to unhook himself, and return to the guy to drag the next log. Now that was a horse!

The old guy was also a Water Witcher. The local well companies would hire him, but not on the books. My brother and I did not believe it really worked, so he put his forked stick in our hands, told us how to hold it, and when you went past were he said there was water, you knew it. There are things we just don't understand.
Pardon me going off thread but I couldn't pass by the witching comment. It is real. It doesn't work for me and most others but it does work for some. I have a friend that is good at it and has a way of proving it to doubters. He cuts a green "Y" branch, holds one of the Y ends in his left hand and asks the doubter to hold the other Y end in their right hand, walk with the base of the Y pointing level and straight ahead, kind of like a slow dance where the mans left hand and the womans right hand are each holding a wing of the Y. When you get to the water location the end of the Y will go down, you can't stop it. I have seen it twist the bark loose on the gripped area of the branch. He has found many water wells, off the record.
Science says if you can't prove how something happens then it can't happen at all. Bull.

It was explained to me that some people are better at it than others, and some sticks are better than others. I was holding both forks of the stick and could not keep it level, but it was his stick, a good one. He could also detect radiation (Radon) with it, and warned my Uncle not to sleep in one of the rooms of the old Sawmill. He also stated that was why the cows would not eat a certain section of grass, he said they knew.

I am lucky enough to have found a couple of log jobs to clean up not far from me. Yesterday while cutting at the one closest to me, the tenant told me that the lady that owns the property has a friend that is going to have her 100 acres logged (also not far from me). I think word of mouth, once you establish that you will do what you say and don't leave a mess. At least I have another lead.

I am lucky enough to have found a couple of log jobs to clean up not far from me. Yesterday while cutting at the one closest to me, the tenant told me that the lady that owns the property has a friend that is going to have her 100 acres logged (also not far from me). I think word of mouth, once you establish that you will do what you say and don't leave a mess. At least I have another lead.
Being a man of your word goes a long ways in this world.. No matter what it takes.

Latest posts

Back