Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have them in southern MO, but they haven't migrated up as far as I am yet. I hear Arkansas is crawling with them.
Yep they're all over.
There are several deer/hog donation programs here. Several deer processors and hog processors donate meat that's not picked up. Lots of folks donate the hogs especially. I've certainly donated my share of hogs, lol. My two freezers can't hold but so much, and mine get overloaded with venison quick, much less chops, tenderloins, sausage from the hogs. Quite a bit goes to the homeless shelters, volunteer kitchens that cook for the homeless, etc. I think folks nowadays are a lot more responsible, especially considering the wild hogs, to get them to a processor even if they don't want any of the meat. Years past, I've seen a many a hunter drop hogs dead in their tracks, and leave'em where they lay for the buzzards, coyotes, coons, etc. Plenty of processors that'll take 'em, ain't even gotta gut them...just get'em to them and they'll process and distribute the meat accordingly. Too many hungry folks that'll appreciate the meat and a meal.
The only problem with that is the diseases they carry that can transfer to humans, mainly brucellosis and trichinosis. 2 of the top states for brucellosis in humans are Florida and Texas, 2 of the top states for feral hog populations.

Yep they're all over.

The only problem with that is the diseases they carry that can transfer to humans, mainly brucellosis and trichinosis. 2 of the top states for brucellosis in humans are Florida and Texas, 2 of the top states for feral hog populations.
Exactly...hog processors here in Ga have to have a special license to process and are inspected by the state. Thoroughly cooking/sometimes over cooking wild hog is highly recommended obviously for health concern...but no different than cooking pork you'd buy at the grocery store. We've eaten wild hog for decades and no problems for anyone here.

Little wonder they are left in the woods to rot. Makes perfect sense to me. I would make it a personal mission to blow the brains out of every one I could find.

I kinda like they are around. I sorta miss all the other megafauna that was in the woods back when we were kids...it made walking to school across the lava fields kinda sporty, after our shifts down to the mines....

I'm with Clint on the wild hogs , they are a destructive animal that doesn't belong in our woods , I'm glad to hear that there are butchers that process and send the meat to feed people .
It would be my mission to feed as many people that I can .

Nature gave me two red maples literally out of my front door at the hunting cabin. One leaner (background) and one with a dead top (middle).

Also the wind broke off a 12"aspen about ten feet up not 20 yards from my fire pit.

Going to have lots of 17-18 and beyond wood stockpiled. May need to build more racks.

image.jpg

Nice morning here guys...woke up to a brisk 46 degs at sun up. First morning that low in this neck of the woods. Gonna be a little cooler tonight than last night...so I think the fire pit on the patio might get a little wood action tonight. Might get my hands on a little trailer load scrounge of hickory and oak after work today, waiting on the guy to call me. Scrounge on gentlemen.

unnamed_2.jpg

Moving and stacking this weekend, lit a fire last night, got down to 36 here. That cedar and oak from the church scrounge is burning like a champ! The chestnut is heavy and green, I stacked it to season a year or two. The season is upon us gents!

Nice morning here guys...woke up to a brisk 46 degs at sun up. First morning that low in this neck of the woods. Gonna be a little cooler tonight than last night...so I think the fire pit on the patio might get a little wood action tonight. Might get my hands on a little trailer load scrounge of hickory and oak after work today, waiting on the guy to call me. Scrounge on gentlemen.
Hits 40s and we're burnin...

Watch that aspen svk. I've seen a lot of chunks come flying off when they start dropping. Hard to tell how far the rot has gone. You have a lot of moderating to-do and your kids need you!:). Be safe.

No kidding!!!

We have around 30 or so Sugar Maples right around the property that need to come down. I told my neighbor that the tops are going to explode when the hit the ground.

He grinned and said "That's why I'm pushing them down with the trackhoe and you are not dropping them."

I said "What about my grass?"

He answered me with a look, a sigh, and this....

I scrounged a Sugar Maple that was down across the trail today.

The top 15 feet or so were primo. The rest...wellllll....it will do good for shoulder wood. Probably last as long as Popple, which keeps us out of the good wood by that much longer.

On my return trip from the first load for the second, I went further up the trail to turn around and come back. I noticed a bald blowdown that was lodged in some basswood trees. Hmmmm.

I went up to it, jumped up, and broke off the end. The wood was dark, so it wasn't basswood or popple.
I'm in.

Loaded up the rest of the Sugar Maple, went over and cut up the blow down, then headed back to the house. The neighbor was home from work and asked what are you cutting in the woods?

I told him what was going on and about how dark the wood was. "Oh?"
He came along to help me load up. I split one with the Fiskars, looked at it, and said "Is this white Oak.?

He stuffed his nose in the split and said "Holy %^$* it is!" We have 3 white oaks on our property and only one is mature. They are just not in this immediate vicinity.

Fricken awesome!!!!!!! That was the first time I have paid attention to that blow down in 10 years.
It made a very nice addition to mix in with the early burn wood.

Back