Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reid , the Makita saw works fine , I had 18v Dewalt gear and a saw , gave that stuff to my brother , bought my Makita gear at 70% off :)
Either or , Milwakee gear is good as well , just look for the best deal but watchout for the cheaper specials with smaller batteries , bigger is better .
I also have a 36v Dewalt circ saw , that ones great :)

Nice to have the right tools . . . .

Philbert

So, you are out on the job and got a big ole branch about cut and glomph! Bar pinch..hmm

"Hey, new groundy! Want to be a climber? shinny up there and pound some wedges in the kerf, get this thing unstuck"...

or, same deal with a thrown chain.....

Sure is a cool machine though..I'd hide it in the bushes near the road and try to catch the kids whizzing by on their quads..sport!

I buy Milwaukee now. I have an impact and hammer drill/driver. Having a hammer drill is awesome. I have a dewalt sliding compound miter saw that I am a bit disappointed with because I have the plastics zip tied together to keep the handle on. I probably won't buy another dewalt tool even if this one is a lemon. Milwaukee cordless for me. I'm a bit flexible with corded tools.

I was driving my 10yr old daughter to girl guides tonight and she looks out the window and says "Hey dad, look at all those trees, they need to come down. Braaap braaap!"
I think I may have a problem.
You don't have a problem at all. You have a great helper for the next 10 years or more:happy::cheers:

Saraanddad3sm.jpg
my daughter at 10. She still helps with firewood as a senior, Butler university.

That's an awesome picture!!!

Yes and between her and the two boys, she still spends more time in the wood shop. Came home for C-mass this year, I am making an end grain cutting board for a present, because she saw her boyfriend looking at them and remarking he wanted one, but they are very expensive. Cherry and spalted maple 20" X 22".
image1_4.jpg

She looks a little different today.
image1_6.jpg

Yes and between her and the two boys, she still spends more time in the wood shop. Came home for C-mass this year, I am making an end grain cutting board for a present, because she saw her boyfriend looking at them and remarking he wanted one, but they are very expensive. Cherry and spalted maple 20" X 22".
image1_4.jpg

image1_6.jpg
hautions11, that sure happens fast, doesn't it.
Beautiful daughter and nice cutting board as well:).
My older daughters were home this last week. Made me feel a little old.20160228_183434.jpg

image1_4.jpg

image1_6.jpg
You are one very blessed papa.

Going to be too muddy in the bush for awhile so I need to find something else to keep me busy. Thinking I could use a 3 pth grapple for pulling logs and tops. My front mount one is just too heavy for my tractor and not much good for unloading logs. Got the wooden templates made today, start on the steel tomorrow. Going to take awhile to build it. I keep 2nd guessing myself as to how to do the jaws. My other one has 2 cylinders but some online have only 1 cylinder. Throat will open about 40" which should be lots for all I want to do. Any wider and it means the whole thing has to be higher which raises my tipover point higher than I want. Also puts more stress on my 3 pth arms. I don't plan to move brush with it and my biggest logs are 24" any bigger and I would just chain them anyway. Too heavy and too much chance of breaking 3pth arms AGAIN. I hope it rains all weekend, I hate working in the shop when it's nice out.
IMG_20160304_183056.jpg IMG_20160304_183039.jpg

Latest posts

Back