Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple months ago, I was complaining about the beavers clear cutting my back acerage.
Well, I got in touch with Trapper Steve and asked if he could help.
"Happy to help, lets set some traps and see what we can do" was his reply.
This morning he had one about 40#. That's three so far, the other two were alittle smaller.
Steve said he'd leave the traps for a couple days to see if he got them all.
The carcasses are going to his farmer friend, to use as coyote bait.
Guess I'll have to go and clean up the mess the beavers made, they're bad loggers.
Lot of hung trees and even a barber chair, hope he was wearing his PPE.
Talking to Steve, He says beavers have become a real problem.
No live traping to relocate, affaid of the Beaver Fever and someother deseases spreading.
No limit, get as many as you can, before March 31st
I still have that big pile of "free wood" to c&s, one butt measured 44". about the limit for a 24"
bar, I can go out to 32".
'

image.jpeg image.jpeg Took the day off fellas, had a Dr's appt. I managed to vacuum out the boat and wash the sides of him. Pollen is gettin' crazy around here, covering everything. Fixin' to get the cover back on the crappie, bass, and bream scrounger. A little scrounging of a different kind...lol. Enjoy your day fellas.
image.jpeg

View attachment 492151 View attachment 492148 Took the day off fellas, had a Dr's appt. I managed to vacuum out the boat and wash the sides of him. Pollen is gettin' crazy around here, covering everything. Fixin' to get the cover back on the crappie, bass, and bream scrounger. A little scrounging of a different kind...lol. Enjoy your day fellas.
View attachment 492148

Ohhhh baby. Your making me want to get a boat again. I want something 17-19' modified or deep V. Need to have room now for 4 to go fishing. But first, I need to pay off my student loans just over 3 years left.

Couple months ago, I was complaining about the beavers clear cutting my back acerage.
Well, I got in touch with Trapper Steve and asked if he could help.
"Happy to help, lets set some traps and see what we can do" was his reply.
This morning he had one about 40#. That's three so far, the other two were alittle smaller.
Steve said he'd leave the traps for a couple days to see if he got them all.
The carcasses are going to his farmer friend, to use as coyote bait.
Guess I'll have to go and clean up the mess the beavers made, they're bad loggers.
Lot of hung trees and even a barber chair, hope he was wearing his PPE.
Talking to Steve, He says beavers have become a real problem.
No live traping to relocate, affaid of the Beaver Fever and someother deseases spreading.
No limit, get as many as you can, before March 31st
I still have that big pile of "free wood" to c&s, one butt measured 44". about the limit for a 24"
bar, I can go out to 32".
'

Those darn beavers are resilient buggers.

Biggest we trapped were 68 and 78 lbs.

He had a big set on both ends but I only took pictures of the one end. A neighbour was raising them and a bunch got out. I shot a bigger one but it got away in the bush and I was smart enough not to go after it. Tracked it for 4 hours the next morning but lost the blood trail, I think he ran out of blood and was still going. My nephew shot a sow, this is her skull. Tusk was pushed out real bad on one side because upper was missing they rub together to keep them sharp, the other side was normal.
boar1.jpg 151.jpg

Remington 870 express and slugs. Friend of my son was shooting at it with his cross bow, he missed and it charged him. He froze and I shot it about 20 yards or so from him. I'm a decent shot but I would say we both had a lucky day that day. These were raised in a bush away from people and were pretty aggressive.

image.jpeg Well her is today's scrounge... Had to hand split alot to load it because a lot of the walnut was 25" or so dia..... The owner kept telling me to take more wood until today it's all gone so no more he can give me LOL..... Got a huge load of ash too....also got to run about the 6th tank of gas threw my new beloved ms461, and her torque and power still amaze me....was to tired and ready for dinner and a beer, so didnt get pic of huge ash load... Anyway her are pics of mostly hand split walnut and some ash!!!!!kyle image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Khntr85 >Well her is today's scrounge... Had to hand split alot to load it because a lot of the walnut was 25" or so dia.....

today I got out one of my big axes and cut some wood. problem wood. actually pine roots in my yard. never had any in many years, these just showed up. easy to trip over. axe went thru them easy enough. about 2-3" in diameter. 4-18" in length or so and at or just above ground level. the ones that were T's... they were a bit of a pain... but away I swung the axe until all had given up. then I put them in my daily campfire... and to ash dust they became. I only mention it because seeing your pix of all that wood and you had to hand split it... omg, :surprised3: not too sure I would welcome that job... having swung my axe for 20 mins or so... even if you call it fun! lol ;) nice pile of chunks, good to see you got both your premix fuel and bar lube to assist your axed hand splitting operations... lol ;)

I always am on the scrounge for free firewood! why just the other day and day before... I scrounged me up some oak firewood walking with my dog thru neighborhood. free. one in my neighbors yard and one on another's curb... free and oak! :) will have to post up pix of the bigger limb scrounge... I already burned the smaller ones. all mind you... all... I could hand carry home. to be free scrounged firewood it don't have to be a huge pile... but more so something u just picked up and scrounged. imo... one piece qualifies! ;)

You're right svk, quite a difference a year makes. Last year at this time we were almost at 120" of snowfall. This winter I don't believe we ever had over 1' at a time on the ground. Just about bare now and spring cuttin' has begun, in MARCH! Almost unheard of up here. Town road crews had plenty of time to cut up fallen tree's and limbs and there are piles of wood along the road everywhere. A scroungers paradise!

Remington 870 express and slugs. Friend of my son was shooting at it with his cross bow, he missed and it charged him. He froze and I shot it about 20 yards or so from him. I'm a decent shot but I would say we both had a lucky day that day. These were raised in a bush away from people and were pretty aggressive.

You bring up a point that I have always wondered about.
We don't have them here, yet. Some people say it is inevitable that they will someday be everywhere. I have seen videos and heard stories of guys "hunting" them and it is no more than livestock slaughter. On the other hand are the testimonials like yours of unprovoked aggression (shooting a cross bow does not seem to be an obvious threat in the pig's eyes). Perhaps just the presence of a tall predator, man, is enough for some pigs. All of the local pig farmers have stories of an occasional aggressive large sow or bore. An old friend of mine was once almost killed by one many years ago. It was written off as the bore was simply protecting his "family". What do you think?

Latest posts

Back