Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the AMSOIL Saber at 40:1, no problems, but I don't let my saws idle much. I've been told that it has more protection than the Stihl oil, but then again I used to run the Stihl at 50:1 and 044#1 still has the original piston & rings, and bearings!

Steve, I would just use 42:1 in everything, the autiotune will get used to it.

I've seen that the new strato saws don't send as much lube to the crank case, so richer is better in them.
If I find amsoil saber in the pre measured containers locally I will pick some up. I do 40:1 because it is easy to use a 50:1 pre measured container and add .8 gal of gas. Thanks for the oil info guys. Now back to wood.

I need to get reacquainted with the splitter this week after I get my new grape trellis put together. Grapes go in next week!

In the mean time I have NHL playoffs to keep me busy.

Friday continued:
On the ride home from my kids tutoring I made a call on a possible scrounge that had been sitting on the side of the rd. She said no we are keeping it. She told me someone had stolen the stuff she had cut up last fall:rare2:. Then she said she is 60yrs old:surprised3:, I asked if she would like me to buck it up for her and she said how much and I told her nothing. She said ok, then you have to take some of the wood:). She also fed us lunch:sweet:. Then I cut the pile up and she said I could take the biggest pieces:rock: which are about 24" and I noodled up the flare that was on top for her as well. It ended up filling the trailer just fine for this trip. I split all this that night and had my quad off as well.View attachment 499026The pile under the tarp was meant to be for this yr and next, but I probably only used a cord out of it since it was so warm this yr and I just pulled a lot of dead storm damage out of my woods that went right to the wood stove this yr, no complaints though that pile and a little more will do the next two winters:) View attachment 499027
I needed to get all that off so we could go pick up this guys( @Fourced ) new to him toy and leave early Saturday morning. Look familiar @dancan View attachment 499028
A Huge thanks to Brett for talking my ear off for 10 hours and making the tractor trip possible and enjoyable. I love my new Kubota, I just need to find a loader for it.

If I find amsoil saber in the pre measured containers locally I will pick some up. I do 40:1 because it is easy to use a 50:1 pre measured container and add .8 gal of gas. Thanks for the oil info guys. Now back to wood.

I need to get reacquainted with the splitter this week after I get my new grape trellis put together. Grapes go in next week!

In the mean time I have NHL playoffs to keep me busy.

A lot cheaper to buy it by the gallon and pour your own little containers! (save the ones your using, or at least 1/2 dozen of em).

A Huge thanks to Brett for talking my ear off for 10 hours and making the tractor trip possible and enjoyable. I love my new Kubota, I just need to find a loader for it.

I hear Brett has a genie and a lamp, so be ready for the loader just in case he rubs that thing and says abracadabra.
well that didn't come out quite right :lol:, but you know what I mean.

A lot cheaper to buy it by the gallon and pour your own little containers!
I am curious how many people do this. I have saved a bunch of those little 2.6 oz containers, but never refilled one! Seems easier to buy new ones on sale, and I was always afraid of leaks!

Philbert

I am curious how many people do this. I have saved a bunch of those little 2.6 oz containers, but never refilled one! Seems easier to buy new ones on sale, and I was always afraid of leaks!

Philbert
I do. I buy oil in larger containers and I use one of the little Stihl bottles to measure it out with. The Stihl bottle has a clear strip on the side with a scale. Works for me, I have little sharpie marks on it to correspond with the various gas cans, weed eater, outboard, chainsaw...

@svk do you fill the 2.6oz stihl bottles to the top and mix with a gallon of gas to get about a 42:1 ratio?

I am only asking because I stopped at the hardware story bright and early today and found some amsoil in a qt bottle on the shelf for about $12 which is way more oil than I was getting in the stihl 6 packs. Also that hardware store was putting in a massive massive massive stihl display. I guess they are going to be a stihl dealer now.

@svk do you fill the 2.6oz stihl bottles to the top and mix with a gallon of gas to get about a 42:1 ratio?

I am only asking because I stopped at the hardware story bright and early today and found some amsoil in a qt bottle on the shelf for about $12 which is way more oil than I was getting in the stihl 6 packs. Also that hardware store was putting in a massive massive massive stihl display. I guess they are going to be a stihl dealer now.
Yes. Or just pour three oz out of a bigger bottle.

Otherwise the 2.6 oz to .8 gallon gas is easy to remember too to get 40:1

Philbert
Been doing this for years. Although I will buy the single and 2.5 gallon mixers as they are on sale.

I have posted these a few times. Real handy for mixing various ratios for different sized gas cans.
Ratio Rite measuring cup. Amazon $6.83
3111U0xOGmL.jpg

Yes. Or just pour three oz out of a bigger bottle.

Otherwise the 2.6 oz to .8 gallon gas is easy to remember too to get 40:1

I just bought a quart of amsoil and I have the 2.6oz stihl containers so I figured I could just fill one of those to the top and mix with 1 gal gas and call it good. Remember the 2.6oz bottles are not full to the top when factory filled. I might just have to buy a measuring thing.

I just bought a quart of amsoil and I have the 2.6oz stihl containers so I figured I could just fill one of those to the top and mix with 1 gal gas and call it good. Remember the 2.6oz bottles are not full to the top when factory filled. I might just have to buy a measuring thing.
Yeah that will get you real close, if not perfect.

I like the measuring cup thing too but it collects dust so needs to be covered or washed out with gas and tipped over after each use.

I have an older translucent 16 oz bottle with graduated marks that I will use for measuring if I am mixing a larger amount.

8303f70c5fab03e6ffba5b84efb97075.jpg

I was able to get another great load last night. I'm thinking that there may be only 3 more scrounge loads left before I call it quits for the year. I know not likely, but I will for sure be more selective.

c81e1f7ea88e1752b93773477d0bccd0.jpg

Picture of most of the wood I need to process yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeah that will get you real close, if not perfect.

I like the measuring cup thing too but it collects dust so needs to be covered or washed out with gas and tipped over after each use.

I have an older translucent 16 oz bottle with graduated marks that I will use for measuring if I am mixing a larger amount.
Great tips guys.
I just buy the 2.5 gal bottles(when I buy them) and use most of it in a 2 gallon can, no perfection here. I've never had a problem with a saw unless I ran it at 40:none LOL, I did that to my old 346ne:(.
I have read them and beat to death is an understatement. 100:1 yeah nope! I dont care what amsoil or the brand of the day says. Right now I like 40:1 with stihl ultra synthectic, I have not had any adverse effects. Would I see a difference between the two ratio's probably not.
Terry told me in a phone conversation(this month) do not run stihl ultra at anything richer than 40:1. He said the saws will have a lot of build up if you do. Even though that is what he recommends 40:1 for most saws, he said this is probably overkill, but it works for him.

Latest posts

Back