Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Nate , I got home from work and put on my best safety crocs :)

IMG_20160531_192319.jpg

Here's Pioneerguy600 plain' Donk , might not be as big but it's long LOL

IMG_20160221_161354.jpg
Glad to see your being safe dancan.... maybe I should try that;).
Impressive pole forwarder you have there.:)

If the sap is burned in they last darn near forever. We have white pine snags that were cut in 1912 and were burned slightly that are still standing.

Fascinating. I have never heard of such a thing. It can be a plus for folks near by, eternal, vertical firewood storage. A few years ago I drove through a forest in southern Utah that had burned 3 years earlier, sickening. Good to hear at least some value can be rescued from it.

The bark fell off most of these after the fire, and it's dryer there, other area's that were wetter and the bark stayed on the trees started to get pretty rotten after the second year, even standing trees.

Bark. A firewooder's enemy if on the round wood, holds that water in and many times will never dry. I always try to remove it but often it is just too much work.

Fascinating. I have never heard of such a thing. It can be a plus for folks near by, eternal, vertical firewood storage. A few years ago I drove through a forest in southern Utah that had burned 3 years earlier, sickening. Good to hear at least some value can be rescued from it.
I love my vertical wood piles. That black locust will stand for a long time, it will loose much of the bark before it even dies. I cut the bark up and burn it to, it's awesome for getting the stove warmed up a bit during a little cold spell in the shoulder season.

Get the bark off !!
You take your baby saw (30-40cc) and cut a stripe through the bark length wise.
Now as the log dries the bark loosens and falls off.
Birch is one of the worst, leave the bark on , or not splitting, and it turns to punk.
but what do I know ? Wood don't dry unless you split the bark.

Last night I got the white oak on the trailer all cut into rounds. I didn't cut into the piece that was on the tail of the trailer the root flare as there is metal stains on it. It's a bit long and I don't want to ruin one of my loger chains on it. My plan is to noodle up what I can without getting to close to the stains and then cut the pieces to length. I'm open to advise/ alternative methods(I don't any c-4, bulk mattch heads, or black powder on hand lol.

I ended up cutting 17 more cookies and delivered them and realized they will need at least 4-5 more:(. The first log I cut for them I probably could have sold for 2-300, oh well that's how it goes. The kids project looks sweet and I didn't have any large black locust for them so white oak should be the next best wood for them:).
After dropping the cookies on my way to pick up my tractor I saw this, had to have it, scrounged from the recycling pile by the trash can in a high end neighborhood :). It's almost 6' of the deep shelving, little payment for giving up some of the wood I've scrounged I guess.20160531_212529.jpg20160601_103546.jpg

Get the bark off !!
Birch is one of the worst, leave the bark on , or not splitting, and it turns to punk.
The worse one for us(that I mess with) here is cherry. It's great to cut in the spring and burn it in the fall, but if it sits on the floor of the woods, it will be rotten in no time.
I like cherry rounds for seats around my fire pit as they are very light and it makes them easy to move. I have had the ones I'm using now for about 4yrs with no bark and all they need is a couple inches taken off the bottoms:). Sometimes you want to move them back a little, well ok most the time lol. This is a friend who does tree work had a local job and couldn't use the chipper at this location, so it was time to burn my pile down a bit. You can see a few of the cherry rounds laying on the ground.
20160516_191703.jpg

Get the bark off !!

I have cut the stripes a few times and it helps. I have not decided if it is best to stack with the stripe on top or bottom. You say?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well here is another one of my spots... Mostly shagbark hickory, will dull a chain real damn quick....hard to tell but a these trees bury a 25" bar and over at the bases..... The pile in front of the trucks is all good wood too, just not hickory or oak.... And yes when I get all the good stuff I will start on the cluttered pile!!!!!

That is an impressive pic transporting that log! Trust me when I tell ya we don't move Oak logs that size like that!

Beautiful area though!
image.jpegWell cut it up today 5 blocks weighed one it was 38 lbs so about 190 lbs for the log, not oak for sure, but pretty good load for the forwarder ;), too much for me.

Latest posts

Back