Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, took the Grandsons Fishing again on Wed. Went to the same place, but it was harder this time, the fish near the dock seemed not to want our worms! So just as my one Grandson started to mumble that we may get skunked, I moved down the shore a bit and we got a little bit of action.

My pics (from the rocks in the water) don't do the fish justice. The first one is a Big Mouth about 12" (not bad for the kids), followed by two Rock Bass about 7-8" each. Unfortunately, the camera angle makes them look smaller, but the kids had a great time, they caught fish, and that is all that counts!

On my bike ride today I came across a large Snapper and got some pics, but the internet Gods here won't let me post it (too big).

I've also developed a slight cough. I think I may have caught an allergy from one of my Grandsons!

Attachments

• IMG_20160601_141251352.jpg
    IMG_20160601_141251352.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160601_141632158.jpg
    IMG_20160601_141632158.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20160601_143245076.jpg
    IMG_20160601_143245076.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Scrounged up a little bench top vise and a ratchet and socket set from a rummage sale today. They had a really clean Jonsered 361 with two chains for $35 but I really didn't need it.
$35?? Don't know anything about jonsered but chains would be worth that, nice scrounge, you needed it;)

Wait .... We got to need it to buy it?????????? Man, I'm doing it all wrong!!!!!
I'm wondering if the "it" he was referring to was not the saw, but something else such as a hard time for buying another saw:laugh:.
I'm so glad I don't have to have a "need" for a saw or whatever to buy them. I certainly can't imagine how it would be to explain to my wife I needed a saw as some have to. Guess it would be like "honey why are you selling that 460 I thought you needed it last week, because I bought the 660 and I already have another 460 you know it's like having the right outfit for a special occasion, oh I see you really needed it, I sure did":happybanana::dancing::happy::laugh::clap::rock::yes::laughing:

View attachment 506262 View attachment 506263 View attachment 506264 Well here is another one of my spots... Mostly shagbark hickory, will dull a chain real damn quick....hard to tell but a these trees bury a 25" bar and over at the bases..... The pile in front of the trucks is all good wood too, just not hickory or oak.... And yes when I get all the good stuff I will start on the cluttered pile!!!!!
That looks like a great deal there 85.
That shagbark can certainly put a slowdown in the ho-down. At my buddies property there are a bunch of them and when the skidder went threw his property it knocked a bunch down that got pushed just below the surface of the trail. When I'm cleaning up the trail with my kubota I can't dig in because my bucket just slides right over them. To dig one out is as hard as it would be to dig out a 6-8" oak and they are only 3-4".
Looks like you will need some climbing gear to get the ones out of the pile there:).
How much time do you have before they burn it or remove it.
Where you at in Indiana.
I'm just east of GR Mi if your in the area you can come scrounging at my place, you might find something of interest to you never know what you'll find here, it can be like watching an episode of American Pickers LOL.20151012_140927.jpg

So, took the Grandsons Fishing again on Wed. Went to the same place, but it was harder this time, the fish near the dock seemed not to want our worms! So just as my one Grandson started to mumble that we may get skunked, I moved down the shore a bit and we got a little bit of action.

My pics (from the rocks in the water) don't do the fish justice. The first one is a Big Mouth about 12" (not bad for the kids), followed by two Rock Bass about 7-8" each. Unfortunately, the camera angle makes them look smaller, but the kids had a great time, they caught fish, and that is all that counts!

On my bike ride today I came across a large Snapper and got some pics, but the internet Gods here won't let me post it (too big).

I've also developed a slight cough. I think I may have caught an allergy from one of my Grandsons!
Sounds like a great time Mike. One of the most important things if we want these kids to desire to come back to do things with us is making it successful.
I see you didn't get skunked either, as you also might have "caught" something LOL.

I can just hear the squeal and joy as they each catch some... pole tips down, jiggles... got one, got one... and then this or that... well, those smiles echo it out well... enjoyed it.

did u check out resize it link? if I can learn it, any one can... also, ur camera, even if fone will let u set the size of the pix... my camera has 3 sizes, I can select. small med large. u knew it was that right, lol... small I get 331 pix on disc... med I get 64 and large only 28... most of what I post here I shoot med. also try one pix per post. if still too big, u need to get some help and so u can easily reset your camera to smaller resolution. good email size about 350 megs.

should be a breeze for a smart guy like you... ;) :)

That looks like a great deal there 85.
That shagbark can certainly put a slowdown in the ho-down. At my buddies property there are a bunch of them and when the skidder went threw his property it knocked a bunch down that got pushed just below the surface of the trail. When I'm cleaning up the trail with my kubota I can't dig in because my bucket just slides right over them. To dig one out is as hard as it would be to dig out a 6-8" oak and they are only 3-4".
Looks like you will need some climbing gear to get the ones out of the pile there:).
How much time do you have before they burn it or remove it.
Where you at in Indiana.
I'm just east of GR Mi if your in the area you can come scrounging at my place, you might find something of interest to you never know what you'll find here, it can be like watching an episode of American Pickers LOL.View attachment 506294

Hey man I really appriciate that, I am in central Indiana by the muncie area....your post made me smile, I have to say the 91 Chevy just turned 80,000 miles, and was near perfect..... That is until last year when I was backing up to plant my Melon patch last year, I hit a damn tree at back of my property with the tailgate down, never fails..:angry:

Ya the only reason I am using the 91 is because my 89 f250 has basically died.... She has been the money pit this whole last year,....i believe now the timing chain is off or skipped, so I done with her!!!!!..... I do to much work with my truck to not have a dependable one!!!!!

Oh and it is going to take a few years for them to build the house, so if they can wait until winter I can have that pile gone.... The guy that's letting me have the wood is a very good guy, so I am sure if he see's that I am working on it, he will try and make time for me to get it....

Any of you guys use the RS or any kind of chiesel chain on hickory..... I run RM on all my saws, and recently bought 3 loops of 20" RS chain to try.... I would think it would dull pretty fast trying to cut threw the shagbark.....

Any of you guys using the chisel chains on hard wood, or just use it mainly on softer, clean wood????

Nice Mike...looks like you and the little fellas had a good time. May not have wore'em out, but a good time nonetheless.

Clean hardwood and the RS is fine. In that pile stick with RM and still plan on frequent sharpening.

Ya it was nice of the guy to pull the stuff were I can get it, but like you said I will be wearing some files out keepin my chains sharp for sure....

I will try the RS out when I get some cleaner wood.... I got a black walnut job, and another one with red and white oak, so I am anxious to see how differently they cut....I like the RM but I am always open to different options that work well!!!!!

1/4" vs 3/8 pico (3/8"lp)
In the daz before I caught the CAD, I had a Stihl 015 running 1/4". The cost of the chain increased and availability hard to find.
I decided to convert to 3/8"lp. A new bar and chain, clutch drum, oil pump drive gear and $80 later, I was running 3/8"lp.
The honest truth, a sharp 1/4" chain cut as well as the 3/8"lp.
Lesson learned, and it only cost $80 and less cutters to sharpen .
The fact that I had a 100ft roll of 3/8lp may have clouded my judgement, but for $80, I could have bought enough 1/4" to last the life of the saw.
Bottom line, a good running saw with a sharp chain will put the firewood in the stove.

Back