Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason you didn't see my post is because it was in the good morning thread, so the "great minds option:clap:" it is :numberone:.

Sorry to here about the surgeries, hope you recover quickly.
Were are you at in west WI, sounds like a good time for a benefit GTG, that is if you need some wood cut.
Just let your needs be know here on AS and I'm sure you will be taken care of :yes:.
I am a few miles north east of LaCrosse. I am good for the next 2 winters and one of my sons will be here to help with wood later this fall. I appreciate the offer of help but I have taken the good advice about being a few years ahead to weather just such setbacks. I don't have space for a GTG but I would love to go to one.

Those "owls" are a real sweetheart to split too lemme tell ya. Sometimes you get lucky but if you're like me and my old jerry rigged splitter, you wind up turning and flipping it about 9 times to get it to go!
I have a nice selection of elm owls. Lol.
I like to split either side, then set it on the flat and run it right through the middle of both half eyes(sorry owl lovers LOL).
I do this with a 22ton husky.
Sometimes when I'm working with large (like each side being 15"+) I will noodle in from both sides of the crotch(only takes an inch or two most times) and then just whack it once down the middle with my 8lb splitting wedge and they normally blow right in half, then it's just like a regular round. I won't run a nice chain down through the crotch because of all the dirt in them, and when I do I'm sure to pull the dirt out of the cut and not into the cut.
Not sure if I responded to you asking how far we are from 75 we are. My little town is about 1:30-2:15 away from I-75, our zip is 49331. @cantoo has been over in my home town for work and worked about 10min north of my house. Feel free to keep in touch here or in a PM and maybe we can all meet up.
My wife always does some shopping before going back to school every year(she is a teacher), which I encourage:).

I like to split either side, then set it on the flat and run it right through the middle of both half eyes(sorry owl lovers LOL).
I do this with a 22ton husky.
Sometimes when I'm working with large (like each side being 15"+) I will noodle in from both sides of the crotch(only takes an inch or two most times) and then just whack it once down the middle with my 8lb splitting wedge and they normally blow right in half, then it's just like a regular round. I won't run a nice chain down through the crotch because of all the dirt in them, and when I do I'm sure to pull the dirt out of the cut and not into the cut.
Not sure if I responded to you asking how far we are from 75 we are. My little town is about 1:30-2:15 away from I-75, our zip is 49331. @cantoo has been over in my home town for work and worked about 10min north of my house. Feel free to keep in touch here or in a PM and maybe we can all meet up.
My wife always does some shopping before going back to school every year(she is a teacher), which I encourage:).
You encourage her to go shopping?:lol: You must get lots of brownie points for that:numberone:

The SIL is home with a defib implanted (not what he wanted, but hey). He is in pain, but otherwise OK.

Yesterday and today I spent a few hours each day splitting and topping the Oak and 2 Hickories I dropped the other week. I think I'll get some boards out of each of those trees. Almost everything at this location that was cut last year has now been split, but I have dropped 3 more big trees (and several little ones up to 10"), but that will be for next year. And I also have my second location in Carmel, have to get to that next (the cord I delivered to my daughter came from there). Still have about a cord & 1/2 of White Oak & Black Cherry all cut ready to be split, in addition to the huge Red Oak that has mostly not even been cut up yet. Should be several cords in that tree, but I don't think the trunk looked nice enough to mill. But I may exchange some firewood I got here for a nice White Oak trunk I have at another location. That one would be much better for milling.

I also took a 5+' piece of 8" Hard Maple and quartered it free hand, plan to make 2 sets of wheelbarrow handles out of em. I'll clean em up with the skill saw and draw knife. and they may have one round corner, but I don't care! Maybe I'll take some pics when it is done.

The homeowner, who has been very, very helpful working with me removing branches when I cut, moving rounds when both cutting and splitting tells me that he has a circular saw but has never used it AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Sorry, I just can't imagine! He is a heck of a nice guy, hopefully he will learn some stuff from this project (we each need a set of wheelbarrow handles). I will do the work with him, at his house. I asked if he had a square, and got a "what's that?", so we have a ways to go.

Tomorrow I go to Dr Al's (on LI). My ported 026 (converted from an 024 Super) is ready, and we will cut down a large Oak and another tree and maybe do some milling. I'm looking forward to it!

This hobby sure keeps me busy!

What I have been obtaining recently has been what has been coming my way, not anything of my choice (opportunities). Would like a 660, but would much prefer either a 064 or 661, but somehow doubt one will fall out of the sky. I was promised a non running 660 a while ago, but so far have not seen it (or the guy). He gets busy in the summer (paving), and it was his brother's saw.

I also have an 029 that I am in the process of converting to a 390 (50 cc to 64 cc). All the parts, plus filter new muffler (AM) were $56-!

But I also thing 044 #1 may have developed an air leak, so that may get priority. Luckily, that MS 440 I have is filling the shoes right now (it had a burned P&C, I cleaned the cylinder and got a new piston and it runs great).

Converting a 029 to a 039 ? YUCK, I did one of them, what a PIA that turd turned into, major air leak @ the cyl/pan .
I have it all back together but afraid to start it, something else may be wrong.
What was I thinking? I have two Makita 6400 running perfectly and will kick that cinder blocks' butt any day.
I'll never learn, I have two Husky 350s being rebuilt as we speak. Do I need another +/- 50cc saw?
Two Mac 10s, a Sears/Polan, Sthil 024 and a 026, Husky 455 Rancher and maybe a couple I've forgotten.
Maybe it's the 100ft of 325 chain that has to get used. Yea that's it, chain has to be used.
My pal TOF (the other Fred) has a defib installed and it kicked in while shoveling his sidewalk.
Knocked him on his butt, he thought he got struck by lighting, it did it's job.

Good thinking Nate, better safe than sorry. She can inspect the load after you get home.
If that is all red fir, there's a lot of dead branches to feed a forest fire.
Not knowing it's Red fir my guess would be Hack,( larch, tamarack).. To my eye, not as pretty as a Eastern White or Norway Pine. I'll admit a Ponderous is a handsome tree.
I see lots of noodles on the ground, I bag them for tinder, a handful and some pine splits,a match and instant fire.
I should be out splitting wood, but I'm down to the uglies, branchy crotches and half rotten, a BTU is a BTU.
Enjoy the rest of the holiday w/end, I may just do nothing.

Latest posts

Back