Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell ya mustangmike, you have brought a huge smile to my face.... I know it wasn't funny at the time, but I am sure you guys will laugh about this instance for a long time....

Speaking of dogs, I just had to put my 13 year old pit-bull down this spring...it was sad, I got the her when I moved out at 18 years old and I am turning 31 in November.....I always knew when she did bark, there was something wrong....I live in the country, so a dog that is cautious of stranger is priceless.....She knew all my family and friends, but any strange person or animal had to to answer to her....hell I even brought her in to live in my garage the past few years, just to make sure she was warm....

My dog was bred for fighting, but I saved her from that life....the way she protected me, and eventually my family (as I got older) always made me wonder if she knew I saved her from a pitiful existence.....any way I have not got another dog and don't know if I will, don't know if I could find one half as good as she was....RIP Sadie

I'm/We're on our third pit, I didn't think I could do it either after losing the last one and it'll always be painful. Our new pup was born December 10th of last year so she's got a ways to go to gain my full trust but she's doing good and sure reminds me of my last one, Bruiser. She was mostly white with black tear drops around both eyes, pretty damn unique and was an amazing dog. The way she could dispatch a raccoon wast just amazing, then the next night she was letting our newborn crawl all over her

I'm/We're on our third pit, I didn't think I could do it either after losing the last one and it'll always be painful. Our new pup was born December 10th of last year so she's got a ways to go to gain my full trust but she's doing good and sure reminds me of my last one, Bruiser. She was mostly white with black tear drops around both eyes, pretty damn unique and was an amazing dog. The way she could dispatch a raccoon wast just amazing, then the next night she was letting our newborn crawl all over her
Yas sounds like you had a good one!!!

Hopefully the one you got now turns out to be close to bruiser, sounds like a very smart dog!!!

Well the guy I work for told me about some wood the other day on some property he leases for pasture from a timber company, it was some pine logs that were left behind when they logged it a couple years ago. He thought it would be dry (so did I) out in the open where it gets lots of sun, it was amazingly wet and heavy. Part of one log was missing the bark and it was dry and much lighter. Amazing how wet they can be with the bark on and being on the ground!image.jpeg The bark came off pretty easy so I peeled the blocks before I loaded them.image.jpeg

I've got some pine that cut this summer , dead standing and the bark fell right off , I split it in big chunks for the furnace thinking that if I needed some kindling I could resplit as required , I just split a couple of blocks last night , still damp on the fresh surface .

I am working on an area that burnt more than 10 years ago. A crew was hired to cut and pile trees that were dead or in the process of dying. The trees that were damaged or dying with the bark on them are completely for most part in decay. The trees that had been overcome with bark beetle infestation where as the bark had fallen off are often completely usable. The trees that still have their bark intact that had dried before they were cut down are often in perfect condition. With practice I have been able to spot decayed logs and usable logs at a great distance just by looking at the bark or lack there of. A log that is not completely dry with bark on it will decay in two to five years often without fail. Thanks.D10E.jpg

Well I think Sunday or Monday I might have a few free hours to get after the aspen on my list. My 2-10 and Super Mini are both sporting new carb kits plus the L65 needs its maiden voyage
That'll be fun for about an hour or two, then you'll be looking for the 562. I used my old homelite (which I really liked) for a couple small jobs and it ate wood better than I could believe. After a few outings, I just wanted to get the work done and out came the modern saw with more speed and good antivibe. Enjoy, it's fun running something you fixed up.

That'll be fun for about an hour or two, then you'll be looking for the 562. I used my old homelite (which I really liked) for a couple small jobs and it ate wood better than I could believe. After a few outings, I just wanted to get the work done and out came the modern saw with more speed and good antivibe. Enjoy, it's fun running something you fixed up.
Lol well I didn't say the 562 wasn't coming with.....

image.jpeg

today.jpg
Watched a really good crew doing a heavy pruning on a very large silver maple in my neighbor's yard. Good equipment, experienced guys, fun to watch.

It absolutely K I L L E D me to not direct the Dingo operator to just bring the big stuff through my open gate (shown)! I know that some of you guys will claim that I still have visible grass, but I only burn a minimal amount of wood recreationally, and am about 4 - 6 years ahead, with stuff spilling out and over my designated storage areas.

Philbert

Got a nice hit on my cl ad. Oak logs delivered and a nice pile of chips for mulching trees and shrubs this fall...

3440cd13526fba813b594cbe35cb481a.jpg

I did go out to the scrounging zone after supper , I had to make room at the landing because I was getting jammed up and I don't want to move the tractor because it's at a good spot to work this lot .
Cut into 8' and piled off to the side .

IMG_20160916_184903.jpg

I hauled the poles that I had cut and left from Sunday .

IMG_20160916_191429.jpg

Got them cut up and thrown on the piles so I'm ready for the weekend :)
Just as handy as the tractor and winch are the self releasing snatchblock is almost as good as having a choker chaser , a must have in my books because I'm alone most of the time .

IMG_20160916_185922.jpg

IMG_20160916_185926.jpg

That nice big made in Norway stainless shackle and 10' 1/2" sling were yardsail scrounges , 12$ total :)
I forgot , I don't thing I showed you guys these .

IMG_20160912_172713.jpg

Got a text yesterday from the guy I got the pine from last year - figured he had taken down another 20" DBH and was waiting for me to pick up the rounds. I went over there tonight and was surprised with a load of oak from his neighbor's yard. Even better was that 2 of his teenage sons were home and did most of the loading! They are a good family. Sorry for the photo quality, but it was getting dark when I got home and I know you guys require pictures for proof. :picture:
IMG_20160916_195951.jpg IMG_20160916_200009.jpg

Back