Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I purchased a pretty cool tool, thought it may come in handy and for the sale price of $16 shipped I figured I cant go wrong if it is more of a gimmick. It is called the "woodcutters helper" I thought it could help speed things along and give me more uniform lengths, because I need 16" and anything larger I need to start angling and such. You adjust that white ring out (max is 16"from magnet) and stick it to the side of the bar and mark out the log with your chain and move right along taping away with the white ring in the previous notch, then remove it from the bar and cut away at your marks. This may of been talked about before (Its probably been around longer than I lol) and many might find this a waste, but looks to me like I wont have to measure out and mark out 16" intervals anymore. Yes I can eyeball lengths but uniform is what im trying to get out of this and might even make stacking easier?
c5b8aa399a9589aa60e3a877ff8782e4.jpg
a18345965184a611dd40505b8ba3dda9.jpg
56c3dcd22edf90e93cc058ab23c69fa9.jpg
17b6b94702b6e88d9ce9ab42c9005548.jpg

Interesting, how does it work out overall ? I bought set of Quick Stix from Baileys years ago but have never used them. They attach to the Quick Stix bar nut (replaces original nut) which seems like a smart idea (leave them on while bucking etc). I actually prefer eyeballing and I can live with being off by half and inch or so. Stove hasn't complained yet lol

Interesting, how does it work out overall ? I bought set of Quick Stix from Baileys years ago but have never used them. They attach to the bar nut which seems like a smart idea (leave them on while bucking etc). I actually prefer eyeballing and I can live with being off by half and inch or so. Stove hasn't complained yet lol
Believe me eyeballing is all I did and it worked out just fine. I just saw this as a gotta try it gadget. Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully soon.

Believe me eyeballing is all I did and it worked out just fine. I just saw this as a gotta try it gadget. Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully soon.

Let us know how it works out.

To be fair you are more than welcome to give me a hard time about the headlamp I bought that has all those 'must have' features. It is bright but has lots of "cool" features like reactive lighting where it adjusts brightness based on ambient light so things dont get washed out. Think of "M-tronic/Autotune" for a flashlight. It has a regular constant light mode. It also sync's with a fancy phone app where I can load different 'profiles' based on the activity I am doing. Yea all cool unnecessary stuff. The reactive part works really well so far and is pretty nice. The best part for me is the phone app gives me battery life and estimated burn time based on which setting I am using. For me that is very helpful especially when wondering the woods looking for a deer at the end of the day. The big selling point for me that it had a waterproof rating. I think moisture did in the last few headlamps I had.

Let us know how it works out.

To be fair you are more than welcome to give me a hard time about the headlamp I bought that has all those 'must have' features. It is bright but has lots of "cool" features like reactive lighting where it adjusts brightness based on ambient light so things dont get washed out. Think of "M-tronic/Autotune" for a flashlight. It has a regular constant light mode. It also sync's with a fancy phone app where I can load different 'profiles' based on the activity I am doing. Yea all cool unnecessary stuff. The reactive part works really well so far and is pretty nice. The best part for me is the phone app gives me battery life and estimated burn time based on which setting I am using. For me that is very helpful especially when wondering the woods looking for a deer at the end of the day. The big selling point for me that it had a waterproof rating. I think moisture did in the last few headlamps I had.
No thats alright I wont give you a hard time about the flashlight from the future. Lol
PS your never going to catch a dear wearing that thing, when they think a train is coming through the woods lol (ok I had too)
All good i might go get that light myself, where did you pick it up?

I sometimes measure with a 50' tape and lumber crayon. Sometimes I turn my 2188 90 degrees to the wood, eyeball from the tank to the rivet on the sprocket nose, and then resume cutting. Both ways work, and get it 'close enough' for my raggedy stacks.
That being said, the magnet and stick combo are pretty sweet. I wish it came in 20".

Awesome SVK. Looks like awesome deer woods. I am slightly jealous since those woods look like the woods at deer camp and I am unable to make either of my regular deer hunting trips up there this year because of the new baby. So hunting around home for me. The woods around me still have the majority of the leaves on the trees.
Thanks. Hunting used to be pretty good till the wolves got out of control. It is beautiful country nonetheless.

Hunted close to home this AM, still bow season, and likely had the best morning ever that I did not fire a shot!

Got in the climber a bit late, 7:30, was already daylight. 8:30 spotted a Red Fox 60 yds front right. Watched it for about 10 min, then a PU pulled up in front of a house and he slowly left. About 9:30 I was gonna call it, but I thought the leaves were moving down to the right, so I stayed put. About 5 min later a little one pops out. Goes about 50 yds (slowly), still no Mom. Then another little one pops out. Then a big doe and another little one. Then another little one and another big one. A few minutes later, the Buck is in the rear, looked to be about an 8 pt, they are all about 60 yds. The buck snorts and there is pandemonium, most of them go down hill, but 2 little ones circle up toward me and stop 30 yds from my stand, then they slowly drifted down also.

A few minutes later, another full size deer (no antlers) to the front right, coming across slowly about 50 yds away. I have a 50 yrd pin, but then I see a fox (not sure if it is the same one) in front of the deer headed diagonally toward me. The fox passed about 10 feet away, right under my stand, and I figured not to try at the deer unless it came closer. Was hoping the Buck would return again, but no such luck.

No shot, no deer, but it beat the heck out of not seeing anything! Oh, last time I saw a bunch of squirrels, but with that fox around they were no where to be found today! I think that is the most deer I have seen in a morning with the exception of when there are drives in progress.

Dang @svk them wolves. I totally forgot about them. It's a shame some tree hugger decided they need re-introduced. Seems to me there was a pretty good reason the apex predators were hunted out of existence by our fore-fathers. But isn't that the debate.

@MustangMike sounds like a fun morning. Heck you only sit until 9:30. That's almost not worth getting all the hunting junk on, hauling out the climber and all that business. I could see if you were going to a ladder stand but man, lots of work for a few hours. Sounds like a great morning none the less.

Didn't scrounge any wood (spent most of the day pitching brush from walking trails) but found this massive (for this area) trio of elms. These guys definitely missed the DED that wiped out the elms. These are the only pre DED trees I've found. The two side trees are over 20" and the middle one is slightly less.

IMG_5972.JPG IMG_5973.JPG

Where else but Amazon.com. It is a Petzl reactik plus

Here's the spec's https://m.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/PERFORMANCE-headlamps/REACTIK-PLUS

I have long said that a headlamp is one of the most important tools for an outside boiler owner.

I rock an Olight H35 Wave or a Nitcore HC50. I am never without either this time of day, this time of year.

Hunted close to home this AM, still bow season, and likely had the best morning ever that I did not fire a shot!

Got in the climber a bit late, 7:30, was already daylight. 8:30 spotted a Red Fox 60 yds front right. Watched it for about 10 min, then a PU pulled up in front of a house and he slowly left. About 9:30 I was gonna call it, but I thought the leaves were moving down to the right, so I stayed put. About 5 min later a little one pops out. Goes about 50 yds (slowly), still no Mom. Then another little one pops out. Then a big doe and another little one. Then another little one and another big one. A few minutes later, the Buck is in the rear, looked to be about an 8 pt, they are all about 60 yds. The buck snorts and there is pandemonium, most of them go down hill, but 2 little ones circle up toward me and stop 30 yds from my stand, then they slowly drifted down also.

A few minutes later, another full size deer (no antlers) to the front right, coming across slowly about 50 yds away. I have a 50 yrd pin, but then I see a fox (not sure if it is the same one) in front of the deer headed diagonally toward me. The fox passed about 10 feet away, right under my stand, and I figured not to try at the deer unless it came closer. Was hoping the Buck would return again, but no such luck.

No shot, no deer, but it beat the heck out of not seeing anything! Oh, last time I saw a bunch of squirrels, but with that fox around they were no where to be found today! I think that is the most deer I have seen in a morning with the exception of when there are drives in progress.

You see the neatest stuff deer hunting.

Last year at 0730 I had a doe grazing at 10 feet from my blind. I don't know how many deer have played peek a boo with me behind trees at no more than 20 feet. I could of just pulled the pistol out and shot them.

The last 2 years I have had this grouse come trucking trough like clockwork at 0800. The neighbor has seen him too and we swear he's half lit from hanging out in the bar down the roads dumpster.

He's like shaped like a soccer ball. He reminds me of Otis from Mayberry. He sounds like a horse coming though the woods. "Too drunk to fly...so I'll walk."

And if he goes airborne...it's like 5 o'clock Charlie from MASH. Brrrrrp....Brrp.....Brrrrrrrp......Brrrrrp....

I watched him come in to land on a branch...miss it......and smoke the trunk.

Devon saw him just run straight into the tree last year while in the air..

He's awesome!!!! I really hope he's still around.

Didn't scrounge any wood (spent most of the day pitching brush from walking trails) but found this massive (for this area) trio of elms. These guys definitely missed the DED that wiped out the elms. These are the only pre DED trees I've found. The two side trees are over 20" and the middle one is slightly less.

View attachment 535268 View attachment 535269

You sure that's not Basswood?

Back