Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys only knew lol
8 cord out of this houselot/powerline scrounge sent away , not even a dent in the pile , still polly 5 cord of Zoggerwood around the edges that could be picked up yet . We've got a few cord yet to haul out of the round hill , several cord at another undisclosed secret location and several large dead standing spruce on the way there and then there's a treeline to clear for a pit expansion and then there's .....
It's a nice position to be in compared to scrounging pallets 3/4 years ago :)

View attachment 571580
Finally got the saws out today-first time since head on car crash February 9th. I replaced my totaled car with a jeep-hauled four loads today. I'm glad to be functional again and am hoping the worst is behind me. Also-this jeep is fun to wheel in tight places.

Good to see you up and scrounging again :chop:

You never know, things might work out for the best. You've already got a better scrounge vehicle.

View attachment 571580
Finally got the saws out today-first time since head on car crash February 9th. I replaced my totaled car with a jeep-hauled four loads today. I'm glad to be functional again and am hoping the worst is behind me. Also-this jeep is fun to wheel in tight places.
I got a 4 door 5 speed xj the longer wheelbase tows better. But we've hauled 3k+ pounds behind a wrangler more times then I should admit to. Getting it moving is no problem stopping it is the problem. For now I haul the saws in the wife's rogue as the jeeps getting a new rocker panel for inspection.IMG_20170405_180139.jpg

Snow here last week , different story here this week .

Woot !!!!

pXYaTeQEgk0DISiI7Nqpw309pyE0FiZghQf9DD3MxUIHwWTBlc1Jkkq9N-fqFgVtUD8FEeRHU2Hp5e9tFoWEcIkuN5PUIh8OT9_gxovwyCFsWMzd1YyMJBxRzOfaj5gq7Y1z_k9tCTuCxmV0tyUnzzTuzT4Zr--haDb7FEcYFpZrVTCkDltAWYWVOexogBTmV5F8H2KRab4vO-hAXtEPAnXiy0cFy-5gFWysKEG_1zAA5SEfxxd12Ca9uxe2ltXapiEKJ96FzvYz3pyqxJGDA1s31bYtOdVmbbOkUHHcXDJy6KcO2RM2-VJg7RqIJqsqgpnxp550sEz4rV-32N0et0MhZBs69D4saS0XVDkNdye_myeZ09zJOKtGNyqE6FZulWHIPbhixbFWjZpuxb-Oiq7j272kOzB9wSNUPD4XnsmZPIXlooKaWcurHQaw-Yx15Wgx7TBHrTyR9r6UmAexsWa0m5oKkO8mqKf_jShesUR3_9K5Yf4jDlt6ad2fC39oA3WclTneqiX6B_m3Oggrnga5NDyvFfTA7WKUkLht-s89QpPKjlm7zbOurA4RB9rmpcPUtz0L3DS_h6RlVZRA_D6VWorv3XfzgTG9poCwxJGoP7zta98eCdCYPWBSnou34jpdBzPAZaebPkNMA4tfkcOq1T6sWpUtLQKWXZWdnOg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

So , since I sent some wood down the road yesterday I figured I'd best put some back lol
AyKwtlcln22fPP0FJlWPk5AtvnEIWyeMdfboKLVjZksnnezHubPam4VIQ6mKJV36H4iEEMFIiEMDuNPdfREGI28CIXKtSqO1rf1TdBHVBrNdGLkx1bL3tZvTEz6EJ5yEmlPBvnYnsds7ra3wTVjULe9rKE6fETvlst-kqUQQd1Y27JnxdodvyJu_rAiEFepbdjNBwDqj4JfYkneeqjADjwxtKeM6fbC9xtX67vqAIAKDEMZMtscmR0zYN9a3XVOWQqc4aoj3Qv1UTkfILo981AS6op9vtSIgw74C4_obtoSmFlM0SoY5DfszXg6ptUjc7oodjy_oUhy-JpL8p_HPHJP5DHj07zKkBYFXPpe9e3VnVYNdpyPJOOou5i8ZYekM9lfr5qH-LeNj9_BYyrPgcxIsy7GXnItndwzDYhP7pUrJ-sh1sahX699IyHZN0-AUB3lqhBNrkEOp0RnFaF9owMhr8tIKyyrP4XGtP2CZapQrf2yvRABg9PEiPDiptmatvmubfa4q9hb2ZTHOSp4BJ_7cxiDnHTPOMEq4xJWJNN-lEfKriYxWYyu_OCZzIT7aXhvp2621-ndACsKhWXKFy-3lzlzPGn5-7tdBhJYwzHhJ274P3McP-g=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

I got 1/2 a load on the way in .
KAEjVtWOasAnIyBJFyTOBDpIuHthvEi02KiZUFe0a12nu_m-C92bwXhZv4Mc58sqIzO3NPV9fGlF00S0xL3kmw7XwuD5CRJJMJ45zgvih4ZlKIPJnRVdGMTQryCRpRorEaZYsoU1ik2bcCv2x0kjMFi84khM-bA7kbcO2gqSbJLcRA7PFxKVrJXz3nMeVfYz78qMXgClxezg67G5dKI_0PK62s472hBUWeVjyvd7uBV2i8wXZNXwIpB6HxirrsbazSokAlbHq6VvuTboRAwRDhW2UkNV4pby6FBlrqwZMk_dPw0Ky8LIkee69nzr26OudS1tyB3zSsUit-KKbwvLyQB_Ou6zWadtZ92soPauhESWgMLnSktCyd17i8_yEIQXSX5p0PsWqbmITF2JeQ9-3xKiPNhgkzEfL-tWIo_fJ05KicvOX00-XB9jC-zOqzjqFygSSdzg2zajp_o9rEMy3og8qkVnfTEVfTEyVaMBi9OHJkNpU6yC0eGaXebkyP_ZOOx1myQY6gSpLYlEsmbP6Yyy5rR3aDjbTXJX-a23_NZB3pf2ASuR0mIAfOTmvhEY8dYQ3o7UtqvpqZgWFyIyd2TKSTsvEjp0vx7cAfwjNSkEQwgzFRg9Vyw7bAExtkT5Ux3AlanY6GlPRxnPbvs75peOoXrPVrhAHMQbvDbGsJU=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

The growth rings on some of that black spruce was so tight you'd need a magnifying glass to count I've tried to count some before , I gave up at 70 .
I also wanted to see if my hydro splitter would shear these pencils .
rJE-ARuLJAb0ucz1Ljf-J2gzpSNFDxX7KiHBfGQbOtjApliFSBxaSPDV2SiIE1YvuVrs9PfCU_UaUZei3El0p5zbLWOjJFc2L6PPSe3QR3fza8hJD-0LZSkmXBYRFQUhpY9ZoARGvhaLaFPJ1tjZwf8ZLyXapjtpyrd0N4i64hsJn0F8xcicxOAxUgX9ZXZwzTF-UXQK4oZ-ONXCoObwlkUc7CFiEby-nQYEo8z8RInaGUHX-mtLS_4kjYGmL5I27TuSyquFe7_o_NnJfiX18AWKzpQVAgMjuE39RhGj046amw713qWZnugYviV_O3u0FBoInnwmPwmmg1_XxL5ufbUkUgh6_Fy1YtnDfVZAxFHGN2agECoPVODSjhB_TLZqU_d5MPH5BXyZziGHbS2FPeiK7xekCgQPXYhfc-gXNPpdLncKJWLhf4QByDjVGnM1H5j_vo_4slenY4TOhJIknhV4ox_13f35W7Ut3ve6KAKBAQ_1YrUSnM2NwYCuDck_mGdI_WV01Haj-q5or9mHvVrGFjWRP9pcCIVF0bDwek0fqPoj_Sa8ZQtjAPdVTMA9o53ICUW6CXmVQmj8IR7xtDs3IM2eUtrcrb0w4qhiPFBS84syEFxAxY-B5sh3d6sAhhPSSprBytX0-NhaEQxbbUpEIu9gCJ6oK9YddeB-XAY=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

No prob at all , I'm just gonna reconfigure the pushblock to hold the wood better .

About a month ago my buddy and I bought 2 Snapper Pro 52" walk behind mowers. Paid $900 each for them. I have 4 lawns to cut. Mowed mine today, a little under an acre. Just to get used to it I didn't use the Velke, just walked. Loved it. 3 of my yards are flat and square, but I may walk them too, maybe I'll loose some of my retirement beer induced belly bustin belt breakin gut, Joe.

Duncan, does anybody there use a buzzsaw? The wood you cut is what buzz saw were designed for. I have 2 and like using them for limb wood and small trees. I have cut 10" ash with mine before but the weight makes it a little unsafe.

Yup , I have a Japa buzzsaw /splitter .
Just looking for alt ways to get things done lol

You guys freak out if you dont get a scrounge like once a week. I go months sometime without even a stick. But lately I had this weird crackhead itch just to run a saw. I been lookin over my wood piles tryin to find bigger pieces that need cut just to run a saw. And I hate saws. Makes my back hurt just thinkin about it. All my scrounging spots are too wet to get into and my trucks are in the shop anyway. I gotta drive my 1972 beetle just to get to work.

You guys freak out if you dont get a scrounge like once a week. I go months sometime without even a stick. But lately I had this weird crackhead itch just to run a saw. I been lookin over my wood piles tryin to find bigger pieces that need cut just to run a saw. And I hate saws. Makes my back hurt just thinkin about it. All my scrounging spots are too wet to get into and my trucks are in the shop anyway. I gotta drive my 1972 beetle just to get to work.

Haha before Friday it had been a while since I had really ran a saw. I like running them just hate cleaning up after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back when I was a kid working for my Dad, with an old, brand new then, Asplundh 16' drum chipper, I used to try and see if I could make it one day with out drawing blood from some scratch or another. Never made it. Now I'm 61 and retired, I'm going to see if I can go one day with out touching a chainsaw. I doubt that I can do it. I have so many of the dang things I have to move them just to do other stuff. Even if I don't run them, Joe.

I got a 4 door 5 speed xj the longer wheelbase tows better. But we've hauled 3k+ pounds behind a wrangler more times then I should admit to. Getting it moving is no problem stopping it is the problem. For now I haul the saws in the wife's rogue as the jeeps getting a new rocker panel for inspection.View attachment 571611

I definitely hear ya on the stopping part. I'm thinking of putting brakes on my little trailer and wiring the jeep up for trailer brakes. Unfortunately it's low on my list, so for now I'm mainly below 40mph and geared down.

Good to see you up and scrounging again :chop:

You never know, things might work out for the best. You've already got a better scrounge vehicle.
Thanks! I'd still like to upgrade trucks, but the jeep is now my daily driver and I'm thinking I can hold off on the truck for a couple years. Dear old dad lets me borrow his for long trips, so my current truck might be headed down the road.

Latest posts

Back