Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet with a full mag it's heavier than my 3' Kimber in .45 I cary almost daily, which I find easy to shoot. Glocks just don't work for everyone. I don't have much experience with anything else plastic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm one of those don't care for glocks guys even though I still own a few. Just have never been great in my hand.

:dumb:Had a close call today with a large dead tree. So today was a wet and miserable day so I left my phone at home unfortunately. So the story is i got a large dead standing beech tree around 3' wide but it was leaning over a road, not a major lean ,so I climbed up to the top and and put a snatch block on it with a cable through it and attached to a bigger tree and a large John deere tractor (200+hp). I cut a good notch out of the tree and I was in the middle of bore cutting but the ground started to move under my feet so I pulled the saw and ran (definitely would have outran Usain bolt) the tractor driver thought I gave him a signal to pull the tree:mad: The whole tree uprooted bringing a large root ball with it. I definitely thought I was at deaths door but at least it didn't land on the road :cold::wtf:

@Cowboy254 , do you know what e.gunnii aka cider gum is like? a couple of those coming down too, I can't find them in any of the databases I use.

G'day Neil, I've never burned cider gum but I do know that you can ferment the sap and get boozed :drinking:. It's from Tasmania, cool climate and fairly fast growing so I wouldn't expect it to be a massively dense eucalypt. Probably much like oak. Get it and burn it and watch it burn so you can save the info in the memory banks for the next time.

seen that one before, scary.

G'day Neil, I've never burned cider gum but I do know that you can ferment the sap and get boozed :drinking:. It's from Tasmania, cool climate and fairly fast growing so I wouldn't expect it to be a massively dense eucalypt. Probably much like oak. Get it and burn it and watch it burn so you can save the info in the memory banks for the next time.

Cheers. Yes its one of the few (12 I read) eucalypts that grows in europe. I doubt its as dense as oak, I'd guess more like sycamore (btw, when I say syc, its not the same as yours. European syc is actually a maple), about 0.55-0.6 specific gravity when dry. Nothing to wtite home about but it splits easy so I'll probably grab some....but must leave room for the oak!

Cheers. Yes its one of the few (12 I read) eucalypts that grows in europe. I doubt its as dense as oak, I'd guess more like sycamore (btw, when I say syc, its not the same as yours. European syc is actually a maple), about 0.55-0.6 specific gravity when dry. Nothing to wtite home about but it splits easy so I'll probably grab some....but must leave room for the oak!

I'm pretty certain there aren't any eucalypts below 0.6 specific gravity when dry. Alpine and mountain ash (e.delegatensis and e.regnans) are about the least dense and are at 0.62 and 0.66 @ 12% MC respectively. Everything else is denser and most of the eucalypts in higher rainfall areas are between 0.7 and 0.8. White oak (American) is 0.75.

Latest posts

Back