Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 3 days on hardwood , 6 to 7 days on a mix of soft/hard and 2 weeks on softwood .
Nice.
I let mine burn way down yesterday and cleaned 95% out. Then I ran it hard on some cottonwood split's to get it back up to temp, I did two rounds of that. Then burned the coals down and loaded it with a couple large black locust chunks by the time I get home there will be very little in there, and the house will be cold, and I'll do the same thing again, then will do it again later next week. The bummer is this is the coldest weather we've had and the longest we've left the house in this cold if weather, hopefully everything will be fine.

Nope. I have tghat problem with my Echo top handle CS303T. Switch is positioned just right to hit it "off" without knowing it. Has happened to me when in the cut and also when starting it. That is all but impossible to do with a Stihl - no switch.
Maybe you guys need to try a husky :D.
Even if you do bump the switch(not sure how you would, but stuff happens) it returns back to the run position automatically, and one quick pull and it would be running again.

You'll enjoy that :).
And again, Wright Brothers Power in Newark, OH pulls through with smokin deals. I had $100 saved from a saw I sold, $100 prepaid Visa that Husqvarna sent me for mail-in rebates when I bought the 395/T540, so the first $200 was "free". I already have two 16" b&c's for my 445 so they sold me PHO brand new in a sealed box for $500. I got 3 cans of fuel for the 4yr warranty deal, which he said he was going to file all of the warranty paperwork for me, and they had some Husqvarna hooded sweatshirts left over from Bunyan. I asked for 2, so he "donated" one of the sweatshirts to my cause. Extra cool.

And again, Wright Brothers Power in Newark, OH pulls through with smokin deals. I had $100 saved from a saw I sold, $100 prepaid Visa that Husqvarna sent me for mail-in rebates when I bought the 395/T540, so the first $200 was "free". I already have two 16" b&c's for my 445 so they sold me PHO brand new in a sealed box for $500. I got 3 cans of fuel for the 4yr warranty deal, which he said he was going to file all of the warranty paperwork for me, and they had some Husqvarna hooded sweatshirts left over from Bunyan. I asked for 2, so he "donated" one of the sweatshirts to my cause. Extra cool.
That's great, I like mine a lot.
Oh as far as the hoodie goes, you still got my address, I need a good one to wear when I'm at the GTG on the hill at Steve's and I'm running those Stihls :laugh:.

Nice pics CowBoy, yeah a little jealous, I was just bringing in wood in the pouring freezing rain....

If I don't make it back to the computer this weekend, Have a Merry Christmas fellas
It's hard explaining to folks who aren't into the outdoors that it's better to be 25 and snowing than 35 and rain :eek:.
Merry Christmas to you too Matt.

So I managed to test the X27 just before the sun set today.

i-mZ8WWBj-M.jpg

Let's just say that highly valuable walnut was not merely dry: it was well seasoned so it was not the best possible testing material. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there: surely over a year.
But from what I could see it seems the X27 doesn't hold up to the hype. My old maul is just better, albeit the X27 gives cleaner splits.
I am waiting for less seasoned wood to come along but I am not holding my breath.

i-g7g4Lf4-M.jpg

Old:1 New: 0

:D

So I managed to test the X27 just before the sun set today.

i-mZ8WWBj-M.jpg

Let's just say that highly valuable walnut was not merely dry: it was well seasoned so it was not the best possible testing material. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there: surely over a year.
But from what I could see it seems the X27 doesn't hold up to the hype. My old maul is just better, albeit the X27 gives cleaner splits.
I am waiting for less seasoned wood to come along but I am not holding my breath.

i-g7g4Lf4-M.jpg

Old:1 New: 0

:D
Just another tool. They have their place, but so to the mauls.
I use mine the other day for splitting up some splits into small kindling to get the fire going quicker.
I want to get one of the real small ones for doing kindling one handed, hope I don't get in trouble from the safety police lol.

Just another tool. They have their place, but so to the mauls.
I use mine the other day for splitting up some splits into small kindling to get the fire going quicker.
I want to get one of the real small ones for doing kindling one handed, hope I don't get in trouble from the safety police lol.
Fancy tools are nice but I just can't seem to ware these out.IMG_20171223_141710.jpg

I gotta disagree with you guys. The X-27 works based on speed, if you put the speed to it, you can retire the maul, it won't split anything the X-27 won't.

I did over 15 cord with mine the year before I got the hydro, including some large Hard Maple and Chestnut Oak rounds. Only the real knotty ones needed wedges.

It's in good shape, just won't haul the loads I'd like to put on it. It's the 4.0 v6 with a 5 speed.

I have three kids now and it isn't good for carrying kids. We'll have one daycare bill beginning in June and I'll pick up a truck payment then. We've had two kids in daycare for the past 5 years. I'm thinking a 3/4 ton with a crew cab and 8 foot bed, probably a Chevy.

Responded to an ad on Facebook about some oak. It was out of the way, but close to a spot I hunt ducks so I went by after this mornings hunt.View attachment 620467

Those poor springs on the danger ranger. I get to buy a new truck in June, I've been driving the ranger since I bought it new 13 years ago.
View attachment 620468
Sorry, but that nice pretty Green and Yellow Tulip Poplar on the back of the Ranger isn't Oak, Joe.

Back