Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Responded to an ad on Facebook about some oak. It was out of the way, but close to a spot I hunt ducks so I went by after this mornings hunt.View attachment 620467

Those poor springs on the danger ranger. I get to buy a new truck in June, I've been driving the ranger since I bought it new 13 years ago.
View attachment 620468
Is that ranger 4WD?

Thought I'd get out of the rain so I've been building Blue Bird Houses out of old Oak fence boards. Got a couple done, but standing on the concrete has my right hip throbbing. Gave a couple away as Christmas presents, the gals love them. The lady that runs the local farmers market wants me to set up a stand. I figure that by the time I scrounge the fence boards and build them I've got close to two hours a piece in them. I'd need to get $50 for them. The stand is only $15 a day, so I might give it a go this summer, Joe.

Oh as far as the hoodie goes, you still got my address, I need a good one to wear when I'm at the GTG on the hill at Steve's and I'm running those Stihls :laugh:.
Nah. Having 3 hoodies means I got a backup for the backup. :D

Speaking of clothing, I have been upgrading/replacing things for 3 days strait. Pillows, stoves, boots, shoes, saws, tools....Now I need pants. I normally wear BDU's, (cargo pants) and since I am on a shopping tirade, I need to look into some pants. I saw a vid on yootoobz with a husky guy doing some kinda class video and he had "chainsaw" pants on, like the guys at the booths at Bunyan....Are those really hot in the summer? Do they have padding like Kevlar stuff in them?

I'd agree with chipper and Mustang Mike, it's a tool and others still have a place (I still need an 8lb maul for stuff) but it does split great with the right technique, speed. It's real plus is it splits well and doesn't tire you out like a heavier maul, so you can go for ages or go quicker.

Come over here and convince this twisted grain ash of that. Right tool for the job. For that job the x27 is not the right tool. Isocore/395 to the rescue...
Right on.
Some talk a lot about what they've experienced, but one thing I've come to know is that my experience is not always the same as others.
I also don't want to say they didn't experience what they did.
worst weather possible
:baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba:
Nah. Having 3 hoodies means I got a backup for the backup. :D

Speaking of clothing, I have been upgrading/replacing things for 3 days strait. Pillows, stoves, boots, shoes, saws, tools....Now I need pants. I normally wear BDU's, (cargo pants) and since I am on a shopping tirade, I need to look into some pants. I saw a vid on yootoobz with a husky guy doing some kinda class video and he had "chainsaw" pants on, like the guys at the booths at Bunyan....Are those really hot in the summer? Do they have padding like Kevlar stuff in them?
I have a few pairs of chaps which I like for general cutting and doing tree work in people's yards. When I go out into the woods I like my husky cutting paints as they don't get snagged on branches and trip you up like chaps sometimes do. Side note, many of the cutting pants are cuff less so that if they get snagged at the bottom they can tear rather than catch and trip you.
I have a pair of husky cutting paints for winter and a pair for summer. Sometimes I wear the paint's and then put my chaps on over them to keep them nice and clean, kinda like using a stihl to keep my huskys clean lol.

I'd agree with chipper and Mustang Mike, it's a tool and others still have a place (I still need an 8lb maul for stuff) but it does split great with the right technique, speed. It's real plus is it splits well and doesn't tire you out like a heavier maul, so you can go for ages or go quicker.
Pretty sure it's rookie and chipper you agree with :D.
I like mine a lot on black locust because it's an accurate axe and will allow two strikes on the exact same spot. The locust I have will not split if you miss the first strike by as little as 1/8", pretty funny, but not when your tired and can't hit the same spot twice to save your life :omg::dumb:.

Quick question, gloves for loading the stove, recommend me some. I've welding gauntlets but find them too big and awkward, last year I used simple smart sheepskin leather gloves and they work pretty well but you risk a burn if you push it as they are thin. Recently bought some supposedly fire resistant Kevlar gloves with cotton lining for BBQ and stove use.... But I've just singed several large holes in one. Thinking I'll go back to smart leather gloves but might try something thicker...a garden work glove? Though with no insulated lining they may not work, so any good suggestions?

I just let the stove singe the hair off my hands, figure that way they match my arms, after I shave all the hair off sharpening my axes, Joe.
Same here, but minus the arm hair part o_O.
I get a burn here and there, but it ain't nothing I'm putting gloves on to avoid, my hand modeling days are over:laughing:.

Sorry, but that nice pretty Green and Yellow Tulip Poplar on the back of the Ranger isn't Oak, Joe.

I always thought tulip poplar had smooth bark, but I just googled it and it's rough. Damn it. Oh well, it was already on the ground, I just cut it to length to fit in the truck bed.

Yea the ranger is 4x4.

I always thought tulip poplar had smooth bark, but I just googled it and it's rough. Damn it. Oh well, it was already on the ground, I just cut it to length to fit in the truck bed.

Yea the ranger is 4x4.
no problem Cory. it will split easy with an X-27. :rolleyes: just won't burn as long as oak.

Yea the ranger is 4x4.
It's still good wood and splits easy. I like it for milling, can have some nice color in it, Joe.

So I managed to test the X27 just before the sun set today.

i-mZ8WWBj-M.jpg

Let's just say that highly valuable walnut was not merely dry: it was well seasoned so it was not the best possible testing material. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there: surely over a year.
But from what I could see it seems the X27 doesn't hold up to the hype. My old maul is just better, albeit the X27 gives cleaner splits.
I am waiting for less seasoned wood to come along but I am not holding my breath.

i-g7g4Lf4-M.jpg

Old:1 New: 0

:D
I do not want to insult your intelligence by saying you are doing it wrong. But to make the Fiskars work be sure to swing for speed versus power.

It's hard explaining to folks who aren't into the outdoors that it's better to be 25 and snowing than 35 and rain :eek:.
Merry Christmas to you too Matt.

Yep. I dressed up WARM this morning, long johns, sweats and a hoodie windbreaker, 7 degrees when i left, to go to the wood lot for another brush burning expedition. Had 8 to burn, only got 6 fired up before I ran out of diesel. I was way too warm. 19 when I got back to the house. As long as one keeps moving in cold weather he stays comfortable as long as the wind isn't blowing. Wx supposed to be much the same tomorrow so I'll go back to geet those two stubborn pile lit. Used 5 gallons diesel. I had expected ease starts.

So I managed to test the X27 just before the sun set today.

i-mZ8WWBj-M.jpg

Let's just say that highly valuable walnut was not merely dry: it was well seasoned so it was not the best possible testing material. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there: surely over a year.
But from what I could see it seems the X27 doesn't hold up to the hype. My old maul is just better, albeit the X27 gives cleaner splits.
I am waiting for less seasoned wood to come along but I am not holding my breath.

i-g7g4Lf4-M.jpg

Old:1 New: 0

:D

It is another tool, it doesn't replace any. Soem wood splits, some doesn't. I haven't done much BW but IIRC it didn't split easy. Black Locust for example is usually 3 or 4 shots to half a round then 1 shot per split.

I just let the stove singe the hair off my hands, figure that way they match my arms, after I shave all the hair off sharpening my axes, Joe.

Same here, but minus the arm hair part o_O.
I gat a burn here and there, but it ain't nothing I'm putting gloves on to avoid, my hand modeling days are over:laughing:.
Agree with these guys. No gloves for loading the stove. I ran a furnace in a foundry for 2 years and didn't ware gloves or fire retardent garments so I'm probly not the shining example of safety :eek:.

Back