Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a not so fun day at work....View attachment 629390

Drinkin a Pabst right now, not because of a bad day though. Although, no wood other than what I've thrown in the stoves, laid another 680 square feet of ceramic tile, hopefully Friday I can do some splitting/scrounging.

Edit: On a side note, had a cat end up in a water bucket the other morning, only to get frozen to a couple steel weights outside. Got her freed from there and her left side legs/paws are rather swollen. Not sure it's frost bite as she uses them, gets around and whatnot. Anybody ever dealt with something of this sort? Can't see putting her down, but not sure amputating a farm cat's leg is ideal. Yeah, yeah, I know 50 years ago...I'm too kind hearted towards animals.

Drinkin a Pabst right now, not because of a bad day though. Although, no wood other than what I've thrown in the stoves, laid another 680 square feet of ceramic tile, hopefully Friday I can do some splitting/scrounging.

Edit: On a side note, had a cat end up in a water bucket the other morning, only to get frozen to a couple steel weights outside. Got her freed from there and her left side legs/paws are rather swollen. Not sure it's frost bite as she uses them, gets around and whatnot. Anybody ever dealt with something of this sort? Can't see putting her down, but not sure amputating a farm cat's leg is ideal. Yeah, yeah, I know 50 years ago...I'm too kind hearted towards animals.
If she's walking she'll likely be fine. Watch for infection. It would be tough to put booties or the like on her.

If she's walking she'll likely be fine. Watch for infection. It would be tough to put booties or the like on her.

She walks, jumps up on the couch since she's now getting that "special" treatment. She does the kneading action with her front paw and I've put Iodine on any open areas. The pads on her paws appear fine, but are rather hard, I'd assume from the swelling. I guess only time will tell, thanks for the words of confidence. This does apply to the scrounging thread because the cats use the wood to sharpen their claws right?

She walks, jumps up on the couch since she's now getting that "special" treatment. She does the kneading action with her front paw and I've put Iodine on any open areas. The pads on her paws appear fine, but are rather hard, I'd assume from the swelling. I guess only time will tell, thanks for the words of confidence. This does apply to the scrounging thread because the cats use the wood to sharpen their claws right?

My cats help keep the woodpiles free of various small critters like mice and snakes so I say they're an important part of the scrounging process.

As Tax Season comes in on me like a Freight Train (the phone is ringing off the hook), I went through my notes from last year's wood processing.

I did over 26 cord last year, and that does not include the family event with Matt and his Dad when the 3 of use cut over 15 cord to length in 2/3 of a day.

I also did a little bit of saw repair, and some flipping, so it kept me busy.

The saws were all started and have been put in storage for the next 2.5 months, all with chains sharpened, etc.

I don't mind the snakes. My wife hates them. The cats seem to enjoy the challenge.

I get zero snakes in mine but one of my buddies I cut with gets a crap ton of gardener snakes in his stacked piles but zero in his non stacked piles. It always is kinda freaky to see them suckers out there sunning themselves especially when there are 8-10 of them out there.

I have encountered both of them, and they both generally run like He**. The mice, however, leave a mess behind, the snakes don't. Also, since the snakes eat the mice, I'll take em any time. Garter Snakes won't hurt you, and often make good pets, although new research has revealed they are mildly poisons, just not enough to bother people.

As Tax Season comes in on my like a Freight Train (the phone is ringing off the hook), I went through my notes from last year's wood processing.

I did over 26 cord last year, and that does not include the family event with Matt and his Dad when the 3 of use cut over 15 cord to length in 2/3 of a day.

I also did a little bit of saw repair, and some flipping, so it kept me busy.

The saws were all started and have been put in storage for the next 2.5 months, all with chains sharpened, etc.
Impressive Mike. Your "retirement" is what others dream of.

Cause I Voluntarily let them drill me a new well 2 years ago when the water quit ... just shy of $20,000!!! I'm now down 1,330 feet, but we have water ... Voluntarily!!! Pump is a 3 phase, down at 860 Ft.

And I Voluntarily let those teenagers burn down the house I was building 30 years ago, and I Voluntarily went through the divorce 25 years ago, and I Voluntarily paid for the kids college expenses, and I Voluntarily paid for the Dogs Spinal Surgery and ... gosh ... I do a lot of Volunteering!!!

Life ain't always easy, but you just gotta keep plugging!!! Most people my age have no mortgage and are fully retired, but I still got my health, so I won't complain. It is a lot easier now than when I was still working for NYS full time and doing the Taxes on the side!!!

Back