Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know it it's the Oak Wilt that's hitting them, but all of a sudden they drop their leaves and start dropping limbs rather quickly. I first noticed it about 5 years ago. Doses't seem to be touching the Chestnut Oaks at all. The farm I get most of my Oak from belongs to our Vet. I helped my BIL clear a 30" one off the horse fence back in the spring. It had been dead standing and we were waiting for it to fall, leaning heavy over the fence. Figured we might get lucky and miss the post's and just take out 3 fence boards. That's what happened. When I bucked it up we just rolled the blocks a few feet into the woods, clearing the road. About a month ago we took the splitter up and started to work on the rounds. I quartered a few with the Fiskers so we could lift them on the splitter. When I pulled the quarters apart there were long elastic looking tubs running all through the wood, from the edge to the heart. Looking at them trying to figure out what they were, we saw termites crawling out of the ends. I'd never seen that before. Usually I'd leave a fallen Oak on the ground for a year or two and not worry too much. That woods is so infested with termites that if a dead Oak goes down now, we take the loader and put a couple blocks of wood under it, to keep it off the ground till we can process it. I'll get a pic of the little buggers up later, Joe.

Here's a pic of the termite tunnels, Joe.
jJiCT3x.jpg

well since it hasn't been cold enough to get in the woods i have been working on stuff i got when it was.this pile. white oak and locust.View attachment 629836
turned into this pile.View attachment 629838 View attachment 629837
Meanwhile in Groveport....:D

My 550 came with 2 filters. The regular "paper" filter and the fine mesh screen filter for "cold damp" conditions. I read/heard to ONLY run that in cold/damp conditions because in warmer/dryer conditions it makes the saw run lean. My t540 ONLY came with the fine mesh screen filter instead of the paper or both. Is this the wrong filter to be using?

*EDIT*

I watched some unboxing vids and they have the same filter I do.

i managed a bit of splitting yesterday. Justb 1/2 a cube of oak. I'd got this stuff at the end of november and roughy chunked it up to star drying so yesterday i just took the ickle x17 to it. That little splitter doesn't half pack a mighty punch....and of course the oak was pretty darn easy splitting. this oak is an experiment. i know that oak dries slowly but i want to test if i can beat te 3 year rule and dry it in 1, i want to burn it next winter. i split small for my ickle stoves so it can dry faster but this is also being stacked at the front of house against a south facing wall and i think i'll get a sheet of clear plastic and cover it for a bit of solar kiln action. we shall see where it ends up. it doesn't need to be burnt in a hurry so if it isn't ready it doesn't matter, just a bit of fun experimentation.

Neil, I would think as short as your wood is it would dry out quicker than the average 16-18" wood over here. I use pretty much all Red and Chestnut Oak. The Chestnut does dry quicker, and I'm more than happy with one year to dry. The Red does like 2 years better. Both types are noticeably lighter after 6 months. I like to split my wood kind of small (not short) so I can pack more into the stove, and those small splits do dry faster too. Joe.

exactly. People (well, firewood sellers in particular) over here all say 2-3 years to dry hardwood, especially oak, but small stoves like mine are common and logs cut to 10-12 inches and split to 3-4 inches wide it will dry fairly fast. stack it against a south facing wall and I'm not sure I even need the solar kiln action. It'll be handy if it works and save a bit of lugging as the wood stacked out front can go to mum and dad...no lugging out to the piles in the back garden, or lugging back to the drive to load a sack of splits in their car. I am also finding a generate lots of interest from passers by when i do a bit of splitting in the frontvof the house....best was a little lad on his way home from school yesterday who stopped to watch, his mate yelled 'Come on!' and he yelled back, ' No I'm watchin' this, its sic!' :muscle:

I run my "summer" filter all year with no worries.

I'm sitting in the ER tonight with my 12yo. Basketball killed her ankle, he what was that post last night??? "Our loved ones health..."

Man does this stink, waiting on the XRay results

Hopefully it's a simple sprain and she recovers quickly!

i think i'll get a sheet of clear plastic and cover it for a bit of solar kiln action
Be careful how you cover it. If you cover too much it will retain moisture. Only cover the top. You will see moisture droplets on the inside of the plastic if too much wood is covered. I did this. The wood wont dry and will grow mold.

Back