Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All ye guys are talking about silenced 22s for pest control, what about my un-silenced 243 (but that might piss off the neighbours and end up with a trip in the back of a police car) , its like chainsaws the bigger the better in my mind

I have many more fun guns but sometimes my possum shots were within 20ft of the neighbors bedroom window at night,the mosin probably would have gotten me one of those police rides:D

I never really understood that saying "old enough to bleed, old enough to butcher" until now.

bleedItOut.jpg

This is E.fastigata, and is loaded with pockets of red gum/sap. Interlocked wavy grain made it not pleasant to split. Trouble is there is about 200m3 of split Fastigata firewood in standing, compact form to butcher next Summer.

fastigata.jpg

I never really understood that saying "old enough to bleed, old enough to butcher" until now.

View attachment 645527

This is E.fastigata, and is loaded with pockets of red gum/sap. Interlocked wavy grain made it not pleasant to split. Trouble is there is about 200m3 of split Fastigata firewood in standing, compact form to butcher next Summer.

View attachment 645529
That elm I cut today's woven like a basket. Definitely going to pull the hydraulic splitter back there. Ax was useless on anything 8" or so. Bigger stuff just slabs barely not worth the back ache to swing on it.

That elm I cut today's woven like a basket. Definitely going to pull the hydraulic splitter back there. Ax was useless on anything 8" or so. Bigger stuff just slabs barely not worth the back ache to swing on it.
That sure sux alright. There was some yellow spruce, AKA yellow box amongst the pile at band camp. I'm talking nasty stuff with grain spiralling around the tree more horizontally than vertically. About 4' diameter. I think this last trip to band camp constituted splitter abuse.

A discussion document put out late last year indicated some changes are afoot for our NZ building code to explicitly include certain "alternative species" as viable structural timber. Fastigata is included, provided it is treated. Appearance doesn't matter so much for structural framing, so the sap pockets won't be too much of a visual issue, but I wonder how it stacks up in terms of stress grading with those pockets in it. Still, it would be a welcome increase in the value of the wood if it can legally be used for lumber without requiring producer statements. As you know, those big brown barrels hold a fair whack of lumber in 'em.

I'm contemplating breaking a long-standing rule of mine of no debt-financed equipment purchases. I'd like a mill now, before I can afford to pay 100% cash for one. Might have to borrow a wee bit of $ to get the mill I want and can then get stuck into all the logs I've got scattered all over the top of the North Island. In just one small gulley I have to clear there'd be 40+m3 of lumber in the Fastigata alone. Most of the trees are .8m-1.4m DBH.

Not to mention a bunch of downed gums nearby I am not 100% sure what they are but some are screaming "slab me".
knarlyGumLog.jpg

Attachments

• fastigataTrees1.jpg
    fastigataTrees1.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 10
  • fastigataTrees2.jpg
    fastigataTrees2.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 11
  • fastigataTrees3.jpg
    fastigataTrees3.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 10
@Cowboy254. what's the verdict on the 241?
Good question. Hopefully not too expensive to rectify. It kinda bugs me Cowboy has had a few problems with his mmws 241 purchase and hasn't been able to really 100% enjoy the process or purchase yet. Also, NZ customs use specially labelled "customs" tape when they dive into a package, so we can tell they have been in there. I wonder if Oz Customs do likewise?

What's the saw mate?

That's a 661. Highly effective I have to say. We had a few teething issues, mostly due to user error because I was unfamiliar with the M-tronic system. We're all good now, though.

@Cowboy254. what's the verdict on the 241?

He's still in saw hospital. Has been since Tuesday last week. They'll have needed to get a new doohickey to put the gizmo back together which would take a few days at least to come in I guess. They were impressed with the portedness and moddedness of the saw though. Hope it doesn't take too long to get it back. That said, the wood I have been cutting has been more 460 and 661 material this week (and next) so I haven't missed it. Much...

Good question. Hopefully not too expensive to rectify. It kinda bugs me Cowboy has had a few problems with his mmws 241 purchase and hasn't been able to really 100% enjoy the process or purchase yet. Also, NZ customs use specially labelled "customs" tape when they dive into a package, so we can tell they have been in there. I wonder if Oz Customs do likewise?

Fair enough that it bugs you since it's all your fault :) :laugh:. There was no customs tape at all on the saw. Maybe they only put that on when they don't break things? I suppose it'll cost a couple hundred shebangabang pesos to get it fixed but I'm not too concerned. I knew that there is the potential for things to go wrong when you try to import stuff like this from the start. But if you're worried about the price, why go in the shop? I'm sure it'll work out better next time ;). It'll work out in the end. I'm looking forward to letting that angry little man loose, I'll admit.

Latest posts

Back