Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice.
I have a 15' Princecraft with small leaks I need to seal up some seams.
Anyone ever do this? Seal aluminum boat seams? What the best way?
Maybe that liquid metal stuff?
3M 5200 is a good sealant. I have also used JB Weld on leaky rivets. Silicone is corrosive to aluminum.

Camping at my wife's cousins farm on the weekend. Did a bit of scrounging for the fire place, one fire to cook the lamb roast, one fire to keep warm.
He's a doctor by day and bought 100 acres on the south coast a couple of years ago. I had the 550xp, he has an MS 231 and MS 391. I gave him a go of the 550, he liked it.

upload_2018-5-29_10-43-54.png

upload_2018-5-29_10-50-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-29_10-49-10.png
    upload_2018-5-29_10-49-10.png
    695.5 KB · Views: 9
I got a call from Paul , the developer that's given me access to his lands and gets me to cut lots this evening [emoji3]
Looks like I'll have a lot to clear as soon as they define the boundaries.
Not much on this lot but it's on it 15 minutes from home .
Paul looked at me and said , "There's not much on this lot so let me know how much and I'll pay you but since I know how much you hate to waste wood , slash the junk at 4' , buck what you want at 8' and I'll pile the 8 footers off to the side so you can pick it up."
I like working for guys like Paul [emoji16]

Marine5068, it's a Woodland Mills HM130, cuts about to a 30" x 16' long log. I bought it last year but have only used it a few times. Just too hard to find time. The actual cutting is easy, getting ready to cut takes a lot of time. I peel the cedar in the bush to keep the mess away. I've only played on a couple of ash trees so far. Live edge is a big think right now so when I get time I plan to cut a bunch up. Been saving some of the bigger trees and the weird stuff for the mill. One of work customers just had two shelves installed in the house. Shelves are about 10" wide x 9' long, oil "stained" and Catalpa wood... Around $2300 installed. I just about died when he told me.

I never had a problem using silicon on Aluminum, made a patch for an Aluminum Valve cover on the 427 Ford Motor with silicon, it never leaked.

It is always fun to compare pro saws to homeowner ones. Yesterday, at the fish + game club, I let a guy (who has a homeowner Husky) run my ported 261 and 360. His eyes almost popped out of his head and he thanked me profusely for bringing my saws. There is nothing like having the right equipment.

I never had a problem using silicon on Aluminum, made a patch for an Aluminum Valve cover on the 427 Ford Motor with silicon, it never leaked.

It is always fun to compare pro saws to homeowner ones. Yesterday, at the fish + game club, I let a guy (who has a homeowner Husky) run my ported 261 and 360. His eyes almost popped out of his head and he thanked me profusely for bringing my saws. There is nothing like having the right equipment.
Me either on the silicone.

Yes it’s funny to see someone try a ported saw who thinks a larger HO saw is fast.

Doing a search about repairing alum boats, it seems gluvit isnt a good option. I dont know why, just reading. Anyways, it seems the preferred product is called 5200 seam sealer. Dont know anything about that product either, just passing info I have read.

Reason I was searched for this info was because my alum boat was getting water in it and I though it must have a crack somewhere. My boat is welded, not riveted. Turns out my transponder for the fish finder was mounted to low and while on plane, water was splashing over the back of the transom. I havent raised the transponder yet since now I know where the water is coming from, it has taken a back seat to my fishing time.

View attachment 654826 coworker sent this home with me today. He said the carb needs adjusted but it runs. I'm gona fire it up when the kid takes a nap. If all seems ok I'll tune it and give it the 490s spot on the truck for leadfarmers GTG.
Always nice to have a little red in the mix. I plan on bringing one of these two. Probably the 24" because the 36" has a leak in the fuel tank, and I already set it on fire once. I pulled the starter and it backfired through the muffler and set the asphalt on fire where it leaked a little puddle.
PNfy40j.jpg

4laqa2f.jpg

Let me know when the kid goes down for a nap, I'll fire mine up, and wake him up from here.:)

Always nice to have a little red in the mix. I plan on bringing one of these two. Probably the 24" because the 36" has a leak in the fuel tank, and I already set it on fire once. I pulled the starter and it backfired through the muffler and set the asphalt on fire where it leaked a little puddle.
PNfy40j.jpg

4laqa2f.jpg

Let me know when the kid goes down for a nap, I'll fire mine up, and wake him up from here.:)
The saw started and ran about 5 seconds then died and wouldn' start again. Guess I'll go threw the carb tomorrow and try to figure out how to check spark. No plug wire on this saw never seen one like it.

can you leave the 4' junk wherever and how does he deal with it? Burn, chip, dump, pile up to slowly rot down, or? Can you leave the 8'ers where you bucked them and he fishes them out for you?

Nice going.

After I cut the driveway , house and septic field he comes in with an excavator and grubs off the lot , the lots that are just up the road from home get grubbed off and just trucked off to his pit to fill in some low areas , this one is further away so he's going to dig a pit on this lot because he'll need the material for road and landscape .
When I cut lots for Paul I try to clump the "Save" wood in piles so that it's easy for him or his operator to spot and pile up to the side .

He pays you to do what you want to do anyway, and you get to keep the scrounge. Can't beat that :numberone:.

Paul knows that I'm thankful for the access to the lands that he owns and knows that I'll cut a lot at no charge for repayment .
Ultimately Paul knows that if he does pay me on a few lots it really cost him nothing because the home buyer pays in the end .
He knows that when he calls I say yes even if it needs to be done tomorrow and it get's done and has refereed me to some of his customers .

Besides , it'll be a cold day before Pioneerguy600 or I let another scrounger in that's not a close friend of ours into our private reserve ;)
I know that sounds greedy but I have to protect what I have access to even if it's not mine .

Paul knows that I'm thankful for the access to the lands that he owns and knows that I'll cut a lot at no charge for repayment .
Ultimately Paul knows that if he does pay me on a few lots it really cost him nothing because the home buyer pays in the end .
He knows that when he calls I say yes even if it needs to be done tomorrow and it get's done and has refereed me to some of his customers .

Besides , it'll be a cold day before Pioneerguy600 or I let another scrounger in that's not a close friend of ours into our private reserve ;)
I know that sounds greedy but I have to protect what I have access to even if it's not mine .
Not greedy, self preservation.

Took off work to fish last Thursday and the local tree company delivered a care package. Delivered right to the house, can't beat that.

I managed 15 and my buddy managed 18 fishing the smoke hole section of the south branch of the Potomac in wv.

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_072759869.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180524_110444946.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180524_101742117.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180524_135633445.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180524_203923220.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 17
Back